Is it possible to have too much power/machine??? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 6
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Is it possible to have too much power/machine???

I'm a big fan of having more than enough power, and doing things once and doing them right. The time has come for me to upgrade my now 20 year old MTD 8hp/24" that I inherited from my father and have always wished had more power and capability. Though I did find it to be surprisingly reliable and able to get the job done every time for me. The electric starter failed very early on but besides replacing that one item it went about 17 years with nothing but oil changes. I put a new carb on it about 3 years ago after I failed to run the gas out of it at the end of the prior season and I threw new belts at it last year. Besides that it's asked for nothing from me except gas.

Enough about the old blower, I'm in Northern Illinois near Chicago and have a 12 car driveway and a few large sidewalks I need to keep clean. I want to be able to go out in a "snowpocolypse" type of event where we get over 2 feet of heavy snow and not have my machine fighting to get the job done. Often I'm working long hours and don't get to clean snow till after the storm has passed and the county has plowed most of the roads leaving a nice end of driveway mess to clean up. This isn't when I want to be chipping away at the snow pile with an inferior and underpowered machine. I want the neighbors to look on in envy as their machine struggles and I just blow the snow easily and go back in my warm home.

The machines I'm considering are the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO with a carb (I don't trust the long term reliability of these new EFI systems yet. I prefer older proven technology most times) and the Ariens Professional 28 with tires and standard drive. I want to stay with the 24 or 28 inch size as I do need to squeeze in and around cars in the driveway and through some tight spots on the sidewalks.

The professional is around $600 more but I feel like the fact it's built more substantially overall coupled with the fact it wouldn't be working as hard as the Platinum will make for the last snow blower I'll ever buy as I'm about 40 years old now. I always wipe my machine down after use and store it well in the garage.

Am I nuts and just absolutely gone way too far over the top here? I've done that a few times in life now. Lol I'd appreciate any input on this.

Last edited by OverTheTop; 09-01-2019 at 08:58 PM.
OverTheTop is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 09-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central CT
Posts: 203
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 37
I bought a 1128 PRO around 03 or 04. I live in central Ct, and first bunch of years, didn't see much over 6". Then came 2011 through 2014. Had several 12" storms, 2 18", and February 2013 blizzard with solid 36". I was digging out everybody in sight. We needed the big machine.

As I say, " Overpowered is usually adequate ", and " Buy it right the first time, cry once. Buy it wrong, and cry every time you use it".
Mountain Man is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 287
Likes (Received): 150
This one is easy. Get the Ariens Professional 28. As I've said many times before on the forum the Pro 28 is one of my favorite machines. Built tank like and solid, the Pro 28 is well balanced and for me, much more maneuverable than any of the Platinum machines. Get behind them, move um around and use the controls and chances are you will come home with the Pro. I know you are looking at Ariens but Toro has a very nice price on the Toro HD1428 OHXE commericial. $2149.00 plus if you use the Toro card there's a $200 visa card rebate and 12 months 0%. That's a very low price for a very high quality machine. And of course don't forget Simplicity. The Signature Pro machines are the original tank and at $2199 for the 28", nicely priced for the features and quality. So there you have it, the list of my favorite 420cc machines.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Zavie is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #4 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,610
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 321
If the drive train is up to the power, then IMO there's little reason to stay little in the powerplant area. The auger assembly is something else. You've already noted the need to get in and around cars, that's a limitation.
When I built the Searsasaurus, I took a 10 HP 32" 3 stage blower and changed out the auger assembly for a 26" unit so it would fit through the garage. Everything was up to the power and has worked well in the years since I built it.
I've never heard of anyone saying "wish I'd gotten a smaller engine". Yes I've heard of wishing they'd gotten a smaller width but not power.

My 2 cents.
HCBPH is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #5 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
leonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York State
Posts: 1,117
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 153
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
I'm a big fan of having more than enough power, and doing things once and doing them right. The time has come for me to upgrade my now 20 year old MTD 8hp/24" that I inherited from my father and have always wished had more power and capability. Though I did find it to be surprisingly reliable and able to get the job done every time for me. The electric starter failed very early on but besides replacing that one item it went about 17 years with nothing but oil changes. I put a new carb on it about 3 years ago after I failed to run the gas out of it at the end of the prior season and I threw new belts at it last year. Besides that it's asked for nothing from me except gas.

Enough about the old blower, I'm in Northern Illinois near Chicago and have a 12 car driveway and a few large sidewalks I need to keep clean. I want to be able to go out in a "snowpocolypse" type of event where we get over 2 feet of heavy snow and not have my machine fighting to get the job done. Often I'm working long hours and don't get to clean snow till after the storm has passed and the county has plowed most of the roads leaving a nice end of driveway mess to clean up. This isn't when I want to be chipping away at the snow pile with an inferior and underpowered machine. I want the neighbors to look on in envy as their machine struggles and I just blow the snow easily and go back in my warm home.

The machines I'm considering are the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO with a carb (I don't trust the long term reliability of these new EFI systems yet. I prefer older proven technology most times) and the Ariens Professional 28 with tires and standard drive. I want to stay with the 24 or 28 inch size as I do need to squeeze in and around cars in the driveway and through some tight spots on the sidewalks.

The professional is around $600 more but I feel like the fact it's built more substantially overall coupled with the fact it wouldn't be working as hard as the Platinum will make for the last snow blower I'll ever buy as I'm about 40 years old now. I always wipe my machine down after use and store it well in the garage.

Am I nuts and just absolutely gone way too far over the top here? I've done that a few times in life now. Lol I'd appreciate any input on this.



================================================== ==============================================


Hello overthetop,

Wanting more power in a snow mule or lawn mower is not a "AM I NUTS" situation.

I have owned and used toro snow pups for 50+ years and the quality is top notch. I would still have four of the little monsters if two of them had not died in the middle of snow season with catastrophic frame failures.

I wish I could have purchased the Toro two cycle 2 stage walk behind for the snow mule stable but I missed out on that.

Dreaming here with your situation make me start drooling for the larger Yanmar track drive snow blower(D165 model I think) with the water cooled engines bowing:
The Yanmars can be imported here as they have a national dealer network for many of the machines they sell here.

I only say that because you cannot buy a Yamaha1332 unless you cross the border-buying a 1332 is no problem as you are not using it for commercial use and you can have the VAT tax refunded to you with some paperwork.
The Yamahas and the smallest water cooled track drive Yanmar are heavy and have a lot of track surface area for more adhesion.

Buying the largest snow mule will only provide you with huge dividends of power and more power to get rid of THE END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

Buying a Toro 1428 will cost you less money and if you change the jets to get more fuel and power it will run better and stink less.
V bar chains will help you a great deal with the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

So you have a reliable snow mule in the garage now it can be improved even more by having the piston jug bored out and having a larger piston and rings installed. this is done on go cart engines all the time and it is a big business.
You could just keep the current snow mule as a back up machine and simply drain all the fuel out of the tank and the carburetor bowl to be on the safe side.

Buying The toro 1428 with their patented anticlog feature will pay you big dividends in clearing as the impeller will not be overwelmed with crap snow and plugging up with salt and ice.

With the weather getting more weird and drastic at times have you considered at all buying a used low hours sub compact tractor with a front mount snow blower?

I am not trying to spend your money I just want you to be well prepared and well armed with enough power and clearing capability 20 years down the road. The spouse could use the sub compact tractor as they are all using hydrostatic transmissions now.

Last edited by leonz; 09-02-2019 at 09:24 PM.
leonz is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 287
Likes (Received): 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
================================================== ==============================================


Hello overthetop,

Wanting more power in a snow mule or lawn more is not a "AM I NUTS" situation.

I have owned and used toro snow pups for 50+ years and the quality is top notch. I would still have four of the little monsters if two of them had not died in the middle of snow season with catastrophic frame failures.

I wish I could have purchased the Toro two cycle 2 stage walk behind for the snow mule stable but I missed out on that.

Dreaming here with your situation make me start drooling for the larger Yanmar track drive snow blower(D165 model I think) with the water cooled engines bowing:
The Yanmars can be imported here as they have a national dealer network for many of the machines they sell here.

I only say that because you cannot buy a Yamaha1332 unless you cross the border-buying a 1332 is no problem as you are not using it for commercial use and you can have the VAT tax refunded to you with some paperwork.
The Yamahas and the smallest water cooled track drive Yanmar are heavy and have a lot of track surface area for more adhesion.

Buying the largest snow mule will only provide you with huge dividends of power and more power to get rid of THE END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

Buying a Toro 1428 will cost you less money and if you change the jets to get more fuel and power it will run better and stink less.
V bar chains will help you a great deal with the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

So you have a reliable snow mule in the garage now it can be improved even more by having the piston jug bored out and having a larger piston and rings installed. this is done on go cart engines all the time and it is a big business.
You could just keep the current snow mule as a back up machine and simply drain all the fuel out of the tank and the carburetor bowl to be on the safe side.

Buying The toro 1428 with their patented anticlog feature will pay you big dividends in clearing as the impeller will not be overwelmed with crap snow and plugging up with salt and ice.

With the weather getting more weird and drastic at times have you considered at all buying a used low hours sub compact tractor with a front mount snow blower?

I am not trying to spend your money I just want you to be well prepared and well armed with enough power and clearing capability 20 years down the road. The spouse could use the sub compact tractor as they are all using hydrostatic transmissions now.

Well said, the Toro is a very stout machine. At the current sale pricing, a bargain.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Zavie is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #7 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 6
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Well said, the Toro is a very stout machine. At the current sale pricing, a bargain.
I've been very interested in the Toro Power Max HD 1428 but I'm not finding much information on them. I know they're quite new but where are the owners posting videos and the glowing reviews? That's the kinda stuff that really sells me on stuff like this. I don't want to buy one and then later find out it's not all it was cracked up to be. I do prefer the Toro quick stick setup and like the anti clogging design. Are these both pretty well proven at this point? I worry the quick stick might have issues long term. I saw one video where water was getting into a toros cables and causing issues with the quick stick operation? 🤔
OverTheTop is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 287
Likes (Received): 150
HD1428 reviews:https://www.toro.com/en/professional...mmercial-38843

Paul from Movingsnow.com goes over the Toro updates that happened in 2018. As usual from Paul, excellent article, read where he shares the improvements to the quick stick:https://movingsnow.com/2018/2018-tor...-best-for-you/

If you include Exmark & Toro along with Boss, more, way more professional contractors use those brands:

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Zavie is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 09-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Zavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 931
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 287
Likes (Received): 150
If you are thinking Ariens Pro 28 make sure you get the Briggs engine. https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...-models-2.html

Post #19 the Ariens AX engine still has an issue with the fuel tank/cap. Beyond crazy how Ariens could not have solved this by now.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Zavie is online now  
post #10 of 16 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 6
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
If you are thinking Ariens Pro 28 make sure you get the Briggs engine. https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...-models-2.html

Post #19 the Ariens AX engine still has an issue with the fuel tank/cap. Beyond crazy how Ariens could not have solved this by now.
I was already leaning towards the Briggs but I called my large local supplier and they're saying no longer available. I called snowblowersource online that showed in stock but they confirmed it is not in fact in stock. Grainger shows about 7 in stock but they'd end up being around $2450 after my local taxes had their way with me. Not very happy right about now. Lol
OverTheTop is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome