LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens heaver then Toro is that a plus?

Looking at Ariens deluxe 24 at 245lbs vs Toro PM 826 at 180lbs and PM 824 at 171lbs. Should the weight be a consideration when comparing the two brands as far as handling and less riding up a drift. Of course loading with two guys would be easier at 180lbs but would the actual operation of the machine be different? Does weighting more mean a more heavy duty machine? Having a hard time deciding between the two brands. Have a dealer for both close by.

Thanks Steve s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 202
I am surprised that there is that much of a difference. But, if it is correct, I would expect the heavier machine to perform better. It would also depend on how the weight is distributed between wheels and bucket, My experience has been that my Ariens and Toro seem pretty comparable, and they are similar HP and bucket width. I think you would be happy with either assuming that you have a service dealer locally.
post #3 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 287
Likes (Received): 150
Paul from Movingsnow.com gives a slight nod to the Deluxe 24 vs the Toro for throwing heavy wet snow. What's not to like about the Ariens, plus you can add handwarmers vs the Toro where you cannot. The Toro does offer a weight kit and cast iron skid shoes plus I think the Toro's chute controls are miles ahead of the ice auger on the Deluxe. For me if I wanted handwarmers I'd go with the Ariens. If no H.W. are needed then the choice for me is easy, get the Toro.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Appreciate the replies! Like a kid in a candy store hard to decide!
post #5 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 97
Is the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO out of your price range. It covers all the bases with more powerful engine and quick turn chute and hand warmers.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 202
Buy one piece of each candy, and see which tastes the best. LOL
post #7 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Town thanks for the reply. I feel the platinum sho is overkill for me. Im replacing a 35yr Ariens 524 so I am almost tempted to go with the classic for $800 since the 524 has been so reliable and the 208 engine is equal or a little more the the 5hp plus bigger tires. So I feel I am spoiling myself just looking at the deluxe 24 or Toro pm 826/824. Was just curious about the weight difference between the two brands.
As a 67yr old anything I replace air conditioner furnace appliance snow blower is not going to be as good as what I had so maybe if I upgrade (a little) it will last longer. Dam that 524 has been a trouble free blower but heck I desire something newer! Daughter says im to frugal.
post #8 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 287
Likes (Received): 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by schemmy View Post
Town thanks for the reply. I feel the platinum sho is overkill for me. Im replacing a 35yr Ariens 524 so I am almost tempted to go with the classic for $800 since the 524 has been so reliable and the 208 engine is equal or a little more the the 5hp plus bigger tires. So I feel I am spoiling myself just looking at the deluxe 24 or Toro pm 826/824. Was just curious about the weight difference between the two brands.
As a 67yr old anything I replace air conditioner furnace appliance snow blower is not going to be as good as what I had so maybe if I upgrade (a little) it will last longer. Dam that 524 has been a trouble free blower but heck I desire something newer! Daughter says im to frugal.
I would trust your Daughter and step all the way up to either the Ariens Pro 28 (Briggs engine), or the Toro HD series like the HD1428.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #9 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Zavie and rit333 Sound like I should try a couple pieces of that candy buttt….. I don't mind being a little frugal. Bought a gym membership three years ago and daughter said I would go because it would bug the heck out of me spending that money and not using it. That's my incentive to go 5 times a week.
Sorry straying off subject. Let me look at that classic one more time.
Thanks again for the replies.
post #10 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by schemmy View Post
Bought a gym membership three years ago and daughter said I would go because it would bug the heck out of me spending that money and not using it. That's my incentive to go 5 times a week.
Yep, I'm 69 and that strategy works for me.

Wandering around to back on topic, I bought the Ariens Deluxe 24 a couple of years ago and I've been very happy with it. The autoturn works well for me, no more difficult than turning a self-propelled lawn mower and (on my paved but not level driveway) it stays straight without difficulty.

All that said, we haven't had a heavy snowfall since I bought it (that's another strategy topic) so I haven't been able to work it out in heavy snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page