Reseller Discussion - Page 3 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 Old 09-08-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 34
Motor City, I sure don't find too many $50 - $100 two stage machines in nice condition unless they're an MTD / Craftsman variant or very old. Maybe you're finding 4 cycle single stage units? Can you give us a little more information on the brands and models you buy to flip?

I buy and sell on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. My gut tells me that FB Marketplace is quickly overtaking Craigslist but time will tell.

Last edited by rod330; 09-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My next random thought for discussion: how to create a good advertisement to attract buyers.

* I post my snow blowers in the Craigslist "farm and garden" category, Facebook Marketplace's "Garden" section and several local Facebook sale groups. I post the same text, photos and prices in each venue. I'm not sure if Craigslist or FB Marketplace is more effective.

* All of my ads include this:
Price is Firm, Cash Only, No Trades, must pick up in <city name>
Item is available if this ad is posted; ad will be immediately deleted once item is sold.
I will not reply to messages asking if item is still available, for lower price offers or trades.
Please message me with your contact number.

* I include 10 excellent quality photos showing every angle. I take all photos outdoors and pay attention to sunlight to avoid shadows. I try to keep the camera low to get images about 2' to 3' above ground level unless it's an overhead photo of the control panel, chute or engine. I crop out non-essential elements that might show part of my truck, house or any object that detracts from the snow blower. I keep my photos at roughly 500k in JPG format. In my opinion, good quality photos are ESSENTIAL.

* Here's an example of my description:
Ariens Compact 24 Snowblower with Electric Starter and Headlight
Two Stage 24" path and Self Propelled
Briggs and Stratton 208cc Polar Force Engine
Engine completely serviced, fresh Shell Rotella full synthetic oil and new spark plug
All traction drive, snow discharge mechanisms and controls adjusted and lubricated
Scraper bar and skid shoes replaced and adjusted
Starts easily and runs perfectly, strong machine that's ready to use today

* I never provide my phone number or email for contact purposes. I use Craigslist's email system to obtain the buyer's phone number. Likewise, I use Facebook Messenger in the same way. I feel more comfortable giving my address once I talk to a buyer and know they are serious. Even then, I won't give my exact address until I know they're on their way.

* Once a prospective buyer shows up, I share my (now) 37 point checklist. For people are aren't terribly familiar with snowblowers, I give them a brief description of how a snowblower works. Everyone hears my little speech about the maintenance an owner should perform (checking shear pins, greasing the auger, checking and adjusting skid shoes and the scraper bar, changing the oil and draining the fuel at year-end). Then I demonstrate the actual snowblower and have them operate it too.

* I send buyers a link to all of the manuals for them to print out at home. Sometimes I buy a snowblower with the original manuals and pass them along.

* I will deliver the snowblower in certain circumstances for a nominal fee. I'm considering making delivery free within a limited distance (maybe 10 miles?) and charge a small fee for longer distances.

SO-- what do you think of my approach? What do you do to advertise and sell your snow blowers? What have you learned and what makes it a win-win for you and your buyers?
post #23 of 56 Old 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 547
You're doing it right....In SE Massachusetts, we haven't had a good snowstorm in three years....that really cuts down on sales. I've sold 9 blowers a year for the last three years, but prepped and repaired 20plus a year......they are really getting underfoot! On facebook for blowers and yard tractors, I literally get 10 times the action. I rarely use Craigslist anymore except to buy
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks rod330 thanked for this post
post #24 of 56 Old 09-09-2019, 09:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 945
Likes (Received): 1025
Garage
Sounds like you are doing it right . I don't use the "price is firm" deal. seems to cut down on responses. everyone likes a deal and if they offer me $50 less than what I am asking and are going to transport themselves that's okay. I usually ask more anyway for this.

I also state that they must "see to appreciate" and that I will gladly answer all their questions in person. I am very thorough with ad description as you are but I don't like people to email me back and forth with questions . They are time wasters and are just looking for a great deal.

The trick for me is to get them to my place to look. I have found that 9 out of 10 people who come will buy. They see the garage set up , the see the checklist, they listen to the presentation , and then they buy. I give the owners manual if i have it and some extra shears. I also tell them they can email with any questions if needed once they start using it.

many of my immediate neighbors have bought blowers from me. they are my best advertisement. they tell friens who have come over and bought machines. also if they have a problem I'll go over and take care of it or ask for parts money only. this rarely happens. just a couple times.

I'm surprised that Facebook works so well for another member. It's opposite for me. Craigslist has been my best way to get sales. Facebook only slightly. Seems like more low ballers on FB. However FB is easier to see who you are dealing with. On Craigs I ask for a phone number so I can use the reverse directory to make sure it's a real person I am dealing with. Much more scam tries on Craigslist.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rod330 liked this post
post #25 of 56 Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
Sounds like you are doing it right . I don't use the "price is firm" deal. seems to cut down on responses. everyone likes a deal and if they offer me $50 less than what I am asking and are going to transport themselves that's okay. I usually ask more anyway for this.
Great point....I'm going to eliminate the "price is firm" part. I did that to discourage lowballers and tire kickers but it might also be discouraging legitimate buyers. I appreciate the feedback!
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #26 of 56 Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod330 View Post
Great point....I'm going to eliminate the "price is firm" part. I did that to discourage lowballers and tire kickers but it might also be discouraging legitimate buyers. I appreciate the feedback!
trial and error. what works for some may not work for others and visa-versa. i like your posts on this and i'm going to try some of your ideas also.

I orally tell potential buyers what I do to a machine. If I had an actual paper checklist that may make even a better impression.

thanks.

post #27 of 56 Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 122
Quote:
It probably depends on the personalities involved. I've only bought a few things off Craigslist but when I did I thought the item was fairly priced and did not ask for a lower price. If I thought the item was overpriced I'd just move on to the next and those sellers never heard from me. An ex brother-in-law however was one of those guys who was always looking for "a deal" and wouldn't buy if it wasn't, at least in his view. So it can work both ways.
post #28 of 56 Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 547
I fluff up the price a few bucks to let the buyer think he's getting me talked down some. If the buyer hands me what I asked, I refund the fluff part.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, rod330 liked this post
post #29 of 56 Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 43
Quote:
Motor City, I sure don't find too many $50 - $100 two stage machines in nice condition unless they're an MTD / Craftsman variant or very old. Maybe you're finding 4 cycle single stage units? Can you give us a little more information on the brands and models you buy to flip?

I buy and sell on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. My gut tells me that FB Marketplace is quickly overtaking Craigslist but time will tell.
They are mostly Craftsman and MTD's. But the few I picked up this spring had only been used a few times and where 26-28in machines. Every area is different. Alot around here leave gas in them and give up when they don't start. I've picked up a few Ariens and a Toro for some ridiculously low prices, because they wouldn't start. But that is occasionally. There are quite a few flippers in my area, so there is alot of competition finding machines to buy.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #30 of 56 Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I fluff up the price a few bucks to let the buyer think he's getting me talked down some. If the buyer hands me what I asked, I refund the fluff part.
I usually get my asking price once they see my shop and hear all that i have done to a machine. I tell people that almost all snowblowers for sale have NOT been serviced before being sold and they will have to pay 100-250 dollars or more to have the machine ready from another seller. They usually agree.

But i do like having a WIN-WIN situation where the buyer goes away happy. They get extra shear pins , the owners manual if I have it , and delivery if needed and fairly close by. I also tell them to call or email if they have any questions or issues. I tell them upfront that i do not operate a business and the sale is as is where is but I will take care of any minor issues during the first couple uses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page