Snowblower Forum banner

Reseller Discussion

91K views 639 replies 62 participants last post by  Auger1 
#1 ·
I've been buying, refurbishing and reselling 2-stage snowblowers since I retired about four years ago. I thought it might be fun to share and compare tips, lessons learned and processes with others who do the same thing.

I don't make much money doing this but it's been a great way to stay active once the hot summer months wind down. In the past I've completed 10- 14 units each season but I've gone completely overboard and now have 25 units I'll be selling this fall and winter. Here are some of my observations. Tell us about your experiences and I'd love to hear your feedback on my observations.

* I've narrowed my focus almost exclusively to 2-stage snowblowers. I've concentrated mostly on Ariens because parts are easily available and the build quality is typically above average. I can find the Operator's Manual, Parts Manuals and (sometimes) the Service Manual on Arien's web site. Limiting my focus has made my parts inventory more standardized and lowered the learning curve to making repairs. I avoid MTD and the other economy brands. At least in my part of the world, Ariens units are easy to find but Toros are far less common. Besides Ariens, I currently have 1 Snapper and 2 John Deere (Murray/Briggs), 2 old Gilsons and 1 Cub Cadet. Yes, I know Cub violates my "no MTD" rule but I couldn't resist this big old bruiser (1333SWE).

* Most of my units are 5- 25 years old as buyers don't seem to be interested in the much higher quality Ariens units from the "good old days". I love the older 924's but buyers don't. I'll never work on another "932" with the plastic wheel rims (what was Ariens thinking?) or a "926" that requires 4 factory modifications (double drive belts, drive pulley travel limit, sealing plate and chute). Granted, the 926 is a decent machine with the mods but making those mods eliminates almost any margin for profit.

* I've developed a 35 point "checklist" of tasks I do for each unit. Since I usually have 2 - 4 machines in some stage of refurbishment, the checklist helps me remember what I've done and what's remaining.

* I use an old IBM laptop running Windows 10 to store all of the manuals and reference materials. I don't have reliable Internet access in my barn and I was weary of printing everything.

* The vast majority of my machines have carb problems. I now have a "one attempt" policy for cleaning an original carb before a $10 Chinese carb is installed. I disassemble the original carb, use carb cleaner, torch tips for the orifices and compressed air. Then it goes in my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner for 3 heat cycles. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm not wasting any more time messing around with it.

* Speaking of Harbor Freight, their 1000 pound lift table is an absolute must-have. I've made some modifications to my table and I'll include some photos later if anybody is interested. Getting a machine up to eye level has made this so much easier that I just couldn't live without it now.

* Aside from replacement carbs, I try to buy Ariens / Stens original equipment parts when possible. I buy common things like spark plugs and fuel lines in bulk. I buy a lot of parts from Jacks and eBay. I prefer Jacks when I have a large order and eBay when I need one or two things quickly. I'd like to find other good parts sources aside from Jacks and eBay but haven't taken the time to research the alternatives.

I have much more but I'll stop here since I'm not sure if this thread will be terribly useful to many readers. I'll add more if there's demand.

See less See more
#626 ·
Honda's in my area are selling for $5000 minimum. I have a beautiful HS928 for half that and no bites.
No snow in forecast....so no one is really looking. View attachment 188504
Nice work. Sold my hs622 yesterday and could have got more for it. Sold it in less than 24hrs. Lady I sold it to has a rental cabin near a cat skiing lodge, and her hs928 is down and she needed something to get by. I lowered the price by selling without the factory drift cutters.

People in the Kootenays can be very frugal but used Hondas go quick in the winter. The mark up definitely isn’t as high compared to other areas.

#631 ·
I'm still kicking around but only servicing my own equipment and family, friends, neighbors. It's been very discouraging since Covid as trying to find any decent Ariens or Toro machines to refurbish and flip is still impossible. I'm seeing worn 20- 25 year old Ariens units selling (or at least advertised) for 2 to 3 times what I charged for a freshly refurbished model. Orangputsh, I love following your Honda page - great stuff!

#632 ·
We have snow coming tomorrow and I have several nice 2 stage blower priced at $150 all work and run well, these idiots keep offering $50 or want them for free. They can collect dust before I do that. Last year I sold everything until Feb. and then no more snow until now. Put my Deluxe 28" that really nice and everything is fixed ready to go for $750, hate to tell you what I got for offers on that one, lol.

#633 ·
hate to tell you what I got for offers on that one, lol.
it is generally idiotic offers on stuff like that that make me not want to sell stuff at all. i will sometimes take a break from selling stuff to rebuild my tolerance for stupid people and try again later. could also throw a higher price at them when they low ball you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.