LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Which snowblower to buy

Hi guys. I am new to this forum and new to snowblowers. You guys have a wealth of knowledge on the topic and would love your advice based on my situation.
I just obtained my HOA contract for snow removal. I have a plow but need a snowblower to clean sidewalks and tight areas.
I live in Virginia so it doesn't get a lot of snow but every once in a while we get 5 or 6 inches.
The good news is there seem to be some really good deals on Facebook marketplace because people in my area buy them and when it doesn't snow much realize they don't want it any longer.
I could use some advice on brands and models for my commercial need. What to consider or stay away from. My plan is to buy a used unit but I'm overwhelmed with all the different models and brands out there. Would appreciate any help. I live in Manassas, VA so if you feel so inclined to search Fb marketplace and recommend a good machine. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
Ok leonz, teach him the pitfalls.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Zavie thanked for this post
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 655
Thanks (Received): 165
Likes (Given): 1025
Likes (Received): 1063
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eopdyke View Post
Hi guys. I am new to this forum and new to snowblowers. You guys have a wealth of knowledge on the topic and would love your advice based on my situation.
I just obtained my HOA contract for snow removal. I have a plow but need a snowblower to clean sidewalks and tight areas.
I live in Virginia so it doesn't get a lot of snow but every once in a while we get 5 or 6 inches.
The good news is there seem to be some really good deals on Facebook marketplace because people in my area buy them and when it doesn't snow much realize they don't want it any longer.
I could use some advice on brands and models for my commercial need. What to consider or stay away from. My plan is to buy a used unit but I'm overwhelmed with all the different models and brands out there. Would appreciate any help. I live in Manassas, VA so if you feel so inclined to search Fb marketplace and recommend a good machine. Thanks!
check out videos on you tube on single stage Honda's.

the hs621 maybe.

also check out donyboy73 video on buying a used snowblower.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie, rod330 liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Hello and good morning eopdyke,

Welcome to the forum. As long as you have adequate insurance for the work being workmans compensation, a million dollars of umbrella liability insurance, adequate commercial automotive liability insurance(300-500,000) and the required amount of personal liability insurance for property damage ($250,000) and written and signed agreements as to who will repair any property damage caused by snow removal and I will not pester you too much; OH you need either Tee posts or driveway markers too.

Not wanting to ruin your morning any more than I have already the issue of buying a used snow mule for commercial use is a nasty one; only because they will fail at the worst times-last years big blow with heavy wet snow coming off the Atlantic Ocean and dumping in Virginia is the main example.

If you invest in a new snow blower you will be in a better position to handle things. The issue is both power in horsepower and traction. you need adequate adhesion to create tractive effort(traction) to clear snow.

Depending on how poorly the HOA is laid out in which in most cases it is very poorly designed for traffic flow and winter maintenance you are going to have your hands full as you will end up going in five different directions at once.
steps, walkways, curb cuts, and HOA entrances and parking spaces will be the time consumers as they may want you to also shovel snow out between the HOA tenants cars :^((.

If you do not have a salt spreader you will need one for calcium chloride and rock salt. DO NOT BUY A BIG BOX SPIN CAST SPREADER as they are not built well enough for winter use.

If your going to buy one purchase one of the spin cast spreaders sold by GEMPLERS.

How are you being paid?, being by the triggger event depth(meaning will they call you when 2 inches of snow is on the ground or per on a per push basis?

Normally these crazy HOA contracts become trouble for the snow contractor as you may end up leaving machinery and salt there in a portable shed ready to work too.

Not that we are being nosy we just want to help you. You should also become a member of www.plowsite.com(its free to join) as well as they get into this question every season.

================================================== ======================

About snow blowers/snow throwers.

investing in a new 4 cycle single stage is a must as you will need a light machine to reduce the amount of time you spend walking and dragging a shovel with you. It is the best way to scrape down to asphalt pavement or concrete sidewalks.

As far as buying a used snow caster goes you should only buy used for back up machines as you cannot depend on them as your primary snow blowers.
If you can only afford used buy a nearly new snow blower and see if you can also buy one or two more of the same model as they may very well become available.

Having a track drive snow blower in your stable is a must and if you can afford a small honda all the better from a weight and adhesion/traction point of view as you must have adhesion to obtain adequate traction.

Decide how much money you can afford and purchase the next higher horsepower class so you have a power cushion as the more power you have makes it easier to clear snowpack; especially snow pack as wet snow will pack up to 52 pounds per cubic foot and unless you take half cuts to clear it you will spend a huge amount of time on sidewalks, curb cuts and open parking spaces. This is where having a hand sprayer full of Fluid Film to coat the snow thrower chute, spout and impeller housing pays you dividends as the snow will be cast further away from the sidewalks.

If you do not have one already you should purchase a couple of the "bigfoot" ergonomic snow shovels and several cans of fluid film to coat the snow blowers with as it will double the casting distance. Don't bother spraying the shovels as the snow will not stay there long enough to toss it away. The plastic used in the bog foot shovels is slick enough by itself.

Don't depend on wooden planks for ramps UNLESS you take the time to screw 2 "new" 2" by 12" by 12 foot ponderosa pine boards together with a center sheet of 3/4 exterior plywood 12 inches wide and the second piece of plywood 4 foot long as well. putting 4 ramps together will save you time and work as you can quickly unload all the machinery and then push the ramps back in the truck or throw them aside until later.
If you glue them together before you screw them together all the better. painting them with several coats of oil based primer is also must if you want them to last.

If you can afford the curved aluminum ramps they will save you time and money and you can just chain them to the tailgate chain or hinge. The curve is built into the ramp so that you will be level with the truck when you reach the top and you can avoid the effect of a sudden slope causing you to lose traction when loading or unloading the snow blower.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, Lunta, rod330 liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 349
Likes (Received): 161
Go to a good local dealer and see what they sell and service. Most likely it's Toro, so get a good used Toro single stage and be done. In the unlikely event your good local dealer sells Honda single stages check out the used market for those.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024

Last edited by Zavie; 09-13-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #6 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Single Stage: Honda or Toro
More stages- Honda, Ariens, or Toro.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 111
If you can find a nice older toro ccr2000 they had one of the best power to weight ratios.

Very light for tossing in and out of a truck bed. The hondas and most the newer 4 stroke single stages are heavy compared.

Especially if you're doing it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toro snow commander 7hp RTEK ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Ariens sno-tek 26" 208cc LCT
Ariens st824 924082 HMSK 80 ....Ariens path pro 136cc
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Hello and good morning eopdyke,

Welcome to the forum. As long as you have adequate insurance for the work being workmans compensation, a million dollars of umbrella liability insurance, adequate commercial automotive liability insurance(300-500,000) and the required amount of personal liability insurance for property damage ($250,000) and written and signed agreements as to who will repair any property damage caused by snow removal and I will not pester you too much; OH you need either Tee posts or driveway markers too.

Not wanting to ruin your morning any more than I have already the issue of buying a used snow mule for commercial use is a nasty one; only because they will fail at the worst times-last years big blow with heavy wet snow coming off the Atlantic Ocean and dumping in Virginia is the main example.

If you invest in a new snow blower you will be in a better position to handle things. The issue is both power in horsepower and traction. you need adequate adhesion to create tractive effort(traction) to clear snow.

Depending on how poorly the HOA is laid out in which in most cases it is very poorly designed for traffic flow and winter maintenance you are going to have your hands full as you will end up going in five different directions at once.
steps, walkways, curb cuts, and HOA entrances and parking spaces will be the time consumers as they may want you to also shovel snow out between the HOA tenants cars :^((.

If you do not have a salt spreader you will need one for calcium chloride and rock salt. DO NOT BUY A BIG BOX SPIN CAST SPREADER as they are not built well enough for winter use.

If your going to buy one purchase one of the spin cast spreaders sold by GEMPLERS.

How are you being paid?, being by the triggger event depth(meaning will they call you when 2 inches of snow is on the ground or per on a per push basis?

Normally these crazy HOA contracts become trouble for the snow contractor as you may end up leaving machinery and salt there in a portable shed ready to work too.

Not that we are being nosy we just want to help you. You should also become a member of www.plowsite.com(its free to join) as well as they get into this question every season.

================================================== ======================

About snow blowers/snow throwers.

investing in a new 4 cycle single stage is a must as you will need a light machine to reduce the amount of time you spend walking and dragging a shovel with you. It is the best way to scrape down to asphalt pavement or concrete sidewalks.

As far as buying a used snow caster goes you should only buy used for back up machines as you cannot depend on them as your primary snow blowers.
If you can only afford used buy a nearly new snow blower and see if you can also buy one or two more of the same model as they may very well become available.

Having a track drive snow blower in your stable is a must and if you can afford a small honda all the better from a weight and adhesion/traction point of view as you must have adhesion to obtain adequate traction.

Decide how much money you can afford and purchase the next higher horsepower class so you have a power cushion as the more power you have makes it easier to clear snowpack; especially snow pack as wet snow will pack up to 52 pounds per cubic foot and unless you take half cuts to clear it you will spend a huge amount of time on sidewalks, curb cuts and open parking spaces. This is where having a hand sprayer full of Fluid Film to coat the snow thrower chute, spout and impeller housing pays you dividends as the snow will be cast further away from the sidewalks.

If you do not have one already you should purchase a couple of the "bigfoot" ergonomic snow shovels and several cans of fluid film to coat the snow blowers with as it will double the casting distance. Don't bother spraying the shovels as the snow will not stay there long enough to toss it away. The plastic used in the bog foot shovels is slick enough by itself.

Don't depend on wooden planks for ramps UNLESS you take the time to screw 2 "new" 2" by 12" by 12 foot ponderosa pine boards together with a center sheet of 3/4 exterior plywood 12 inches wide and the second piece of plywood 4 foot long as well. putting 4 ramps together will save you time and work as you can quickly unload all the machinery and then push the ramps back in the truck or throw them aside until later.
If you glue them together before you screw them together all the better. painting them with several coats of oil based primer is also must if you want them to last.

If you can afford the curved aluminum ramps they will save you time and money and you can just chain them to the tailgate chain or hinge. The curve is built into the ramp so that you will be level with the truck when you reach the top and you can avoid the effect of a sudden slope causing you to lose traction when loading or unloading the snow blower.

thanks Leonz. Yeah I've been plowing for years so have all the insurance and know the biz side. I live in the HOA and plan to store the snowblower in my garage so it will primarily be used outside my garage and not being transported from one job to another. This is just a little side hustle for now. Some years we don't get any snow.
A lot of you recommended a single stage but would you still as my primary if I'm just doing my neighborhood? I understand the light and mobility factory but I also have to cover a fair bit of sidewalk so I want fast and thorough.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 349
Likes (Received): 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by eopdyke View Post
thanks Leonz. Yeah I've been plowing for years so have all the insurance and know the biz side. I live in the HOA and plan to store the snowblower in my garage so it will primarily be used outside my garage and not being transported from one job to another. This is just a little side hustle for now. Some years we don't get any snow.
A lot of you recommended a single stage but would you still as my primary if I'm just doing my neighborhood? I understand the light and mobility factory but I also have to cover a fair bit of sidewalk so I want fast and thorough.
If you've got a lot of sidewalk and you want to get done fast, take a look at the Toro Snowmaster 824qxe. As long as transport is not an issue, then get something that makes the others look like they are standing still. Badda boom, badda done.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2019, 02:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
The issue for you is time and when the foot traffic begins as you need the sidewalk clean before anyone is awake.

I guess my feeling is that you should buy the widest snow blower with the highest horsepower so you can move
quickly and the scraper can be set very low and the skids raised.
I would not hesitate to invest in a Toro 1428OXE and chains for the wheels as there will be times that you will get
the worst Atlantic storm like you received last winter and 30 inches can creep up on you real quick and you will be
overwhelmed using a smaller unit.

I guess the best way to examine this is walk the entire amount of sidewalk in the property with a measuring wheel
and do that at 1 mile per hour which is 88 feet per minute and make two passes for the side walk and add three minutes
for each house if you have to the sidewalks entering the home.

You have to manage and account for the time needed to plow and clear the sidewalks and plan on doing it at one mile per
hour to scrape everything adequately and create bare concrete that does not have skim ice to worry about.

Metal skids will mar the concrete you may want to invest in a set of the heavy plastic skids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page