Husqvarna st227p or Toro power max 826 oae - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Husqvarna st227p or Toro power max 826 oae

In Connecticut and looking at snow blowers. I had bought a used snowblower and was constantly fixing it. I am looking to buy a new snow blower for the up coming season. The Husqvarna st227p is 899 at lowes and I get 10% off and 12 month 0% financing while the Toro power max 826 OAE is 1049 with 100 visa card and 12 month 0% financing. My wife gave me a 1000 budget and I know the Toro is slightly over 1000 she was fine as it comes with a 100 visa card. The bottom of my drive way is flat and can park 8 -10 cars depending how tight they are and the drive exits about 120 feet with a slight incline. The drive way is paved and smooth. Any feed back would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
I would talk to your mgr. of Finance and see if you can get a couple hundred dollars more added to the budget, and get a Toro with 10 hp and steering triggers. But once cry once. Cheap out and you are likely to cry at every big snow storm, and when doing the end of driveway. Tell her that you can never have too much (power) and she may understand.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Lunta liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 247
Likes (Received): 290
Toro

Consider checking out an Ariens Deluxe 24 before making the decision too

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #4 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 13
I bought a Toro 1028 Power Max in 2015. Never looked back. I also live in Ct. 40 foot driveway. Live on the outside of the curve on my road. So a lot of extra snow gets pushed into my driveway. The end of driveway (mountain) at the end of the storm can get pretty big. That machine just blows right through it. With a snowblower it's always better to get a little bit bigger then you need.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky, gibbs296 liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post
Toro

Consider checking out an Ariens Deluxe 24 before making the decision too

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #6 of 15 Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
Husqvarna st227p is very option loaded BUT Husqvarna seems to be one of the harder ones to get parts for, Toro is good and has a lot of fans but I don't know a lot about them to give a good opinion other than most who have them like them. I would also look at the Ariens deluxe 24 as it has all the same options as the Husqvarna except it has a slightly larger engine. Both have engines made by LCT and I do have the Deluxe 24 and my brother has the Husqvarna ST227 (same machine without the steering) Both work very well but the Ariens has a little more grunt and is a bit heavier duty, Husqvarna has a 208cc and the Ariens has a 254cc, Both have steering assist (comparing the 227P) but different style as the Ariens has auto turn that works well on the newer models and Husqvarna uses the trigger system that I think breaks the inside wheel to get it to turn in that direction. And are a $100 different in price. And Lowes carries both brands, At least here they do so the discount should work on either. Also do some research on the Toro as it does look like a nice machine. hopefully someone can compare them side by side.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.

Last edited by Dauntae; 09-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
I have the st230p and love it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
And Lowes carries both brands, At least here they do so the discount should work on either. Also do some research on the Toro as it does look like a nice machine. hopefully someone can compare them side by side.
Speaking of buying at the big box stores, generally (but not always) one is better off buying from a dealer because that's all they sell (outdoor power equipment) so the guy putting it together is more likely to have a clue as to what he is doing, as opposed to some guy who means well but has never seen a snow blower before.

That said, there are idiots working at dealers, there are dealers who are rip-off artists, and there are good people at both big box stores and at dealers. But my experience is the odds are better at a dealer because that's all they do and the real bad ones tend to not last very long. Just a thought.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-15-2019, 01:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVguy View Post
Speaking of buying at the big box stores, generally (but not always) one is better off buying from a dealer because that's all they sell (outdoor power equipment) so the guy putting it together is more likely to have a clue as to what he is doing, as opposed to some guy who means well but has never seen a snow blower before.

That said, there are idiots working at dealers, there are dealers who are rip-off artists, and there are good people at both big box stores and at dealers. But my experience is the odds are better at a dealer because that's all they do and the real bad ones tend to not last very long. Just a thought.
The Big Box Store units are built with cheaper lower quality parts, to keep the price down and to have you come back to replace them when they fall apart on you.
Stay away from anything that has a "LCT" engine on it. Those motors are built very poorly, and good luck getting parts for them when you need them, which may be quite often. We are having a "Trade War": with China now, so good luck getting your parts shipped over, and when you may get them if they are still available. They are not made in North Carolina, thats where the importing office is located at for LCT.
A dealer may cost more, but that's where you will have to go for service and parts if needed, plus many dealers are not obligated to work on "Big Box Store" machines, and most wont unless they are hurting for work.

Last edited by ST1100A; 09-15-2019 at 02:03 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
The Big Box Store units are built with cheaper lower quality parts, to keep the price down and to have you come back to replace them when they fall apart on you.
Stay away from anything that has a "LCT" engine on it. Those motors are built very poorly, and good luck getting parts for them when you need them, which may be quite often. We are having a "Trade War": with China now, so good luck getting your parts shipped over, and when you may get them if they are still available. They are not made in North Carolina, thats where the importing office is located at for LCT.
A dealer may cost more, but that's where you will have to go for service and parts if needed, plus many dealers are not obligated to work on "Big Box Store" machines, and most wont unless they are hurting for work.

Not my experience, both dealers and big box were same prices for me. Only differences were big box stores have anyone with an adjustable wrench and a gator grip socket build them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in