LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
How Fuel Stabilzer Works?

I'm not sure if I read this somewhere and it may be completely wrong but does Stabil{for instance}, work by creating a lighter density barrier layer on top of the gas column thereby acting as a barrier between moisture laden air and ethanolized gas? And if that's how it works, is that all it is meant to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 85
Not sure about the breaking down of the scientific aspect, but I have been using Stabil, as well as SeaFoam in all my small engine gas, 2 and 4 cycle, for ever since I can remember ... never once did I ever have an issue with gas in any of my machines, from season to season ... and I leave the gas in, never drain it. I do periodically start them just to keep things moving.

I'm sure Googling the scientific breakdown would reveal something.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
I use ethanol free gas and never use stabilizer, zero problems. Ethanol is the problem.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall999 View Post
I use ethanol free gas and never use stabilizer, zero problems. Ethanol is the problem.
Ethanol is only a problem if you've got non-compatible rubber parts in the fuel system and/or get too much water in the fuel (it'll harmlessly handle small amounts better than pure gas). With proper stabilization I've had both ethanol and non-ethanol gas in equipment for 6+ months with no issues.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Ethanol is only a problem if you've got non-compatible rubber parts in the fuel system and/or get too much water in the fuel (it'll harmlessly handle small amounts better than pure gas). With proper stabilization I've had both ethanol and non-ethanol gas in equipment for 6+ months with no issues.
Ethanol is also very corrosive to aluminum and other metals.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #6 of 27 Old 09-20-2019, 08:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100A View Post
Ethanol is also very corrosive to aluminum and other metals.
I've never personally seen it be a problem. Ethanol is mildly corrosive to some metals, but not majorly. Methanol is the alcohol that would destroy most fuel system metals.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
So do you use E10 to save money over non ethanol gas? If so are you adding the cost of the stabilizer you use? The problem with ethanol is it attracts water and also that it separates from the gasoline over time. I'd rather run ethanol free in everything, no stabilizers needed.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall999 View Post
So do you use E10 to save money over non ethanol gas? If so are you adding the cost of the stabilizer you use? The problem with ethanol is it attracts water and also that it separates from the gasoline over time. I'd rather run ethanol free in everything, no stabilizers needed.
I use them mostly interchangeably depending on availability. But I stabilize any fuel that I'm not 100% sure will be burned off within a month or 2, so any E0 bought for small equipment around the house gets stabilized. Considering I only go through 10 - 15 gallons / year for the mower and snowblower, it's cheap insurance to make sure I've always got good fuel.

The ethanol moisture thing is both good and bad. The good is that it acts just like the dry-gas stuff that used to be somewhat common and absorbs any little bits of condensation in the tank so they get passed through instead of puddling up and causing issues. The bad is that if you get too much water in the fuel, it separates and becomes junk.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've never personally seen it be a problem. Ethanol is mildly corrosive to some metals, but not majorly. Methanol is the alcohol that would destroy most fuel system metals.
Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water vapor directly from the atmosphere. so if left in the carb it could cause all sorts of issues if left long enough. i know i deal with more than my share of ethanol poisoning of machines every year. clogs main jets. don't even get me started on how the ethanol messes with small engines like weed wacker, chainsaws or leafblowers. they really don't like ethanol and i usually won't even try to repair them for other people unless the equipment is worth enough to justify trying.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #10 of 27 Old 09-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 118
Likes (Received): 64
You guys are correct about ethanol absorbing water. It also only has about 60% the efficiency of gasoline, producing less heat, therefore not pushing the piston down in the cylinder as hard, and a slower burn, thats why its used as an octane boost. It causes less power and lower fuel mileage. It has to be run a lot richer to be more effective. It is more of an "Inert" ingredient that adds a little bit of oxygen to the fuel mixture and causes a "Lean" condition.
Your actual "Stabilizer" surrounds the fuel molecules to slow the atomic/molecular breakdown of the molecules of the fuel.
Once the molecules breakdown by certain atoms jumping out of the molecule, they become scattered and the fuel wont burn properly and the breakdown leftover byproducts become sludge basically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page