Snowblower for senior-aged mother? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-05-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Snowblower for senior-aged mother?

Good afternoon,

I am looking to purchase a snowblower for my mother to use for light to moderate snowfalls. If the snow is too wet, deep or compacted, a neighbor with a two-stage model can assist.

Located in Omaha, NE, her lot is on the corner with two single car driveways with sidewalk along two sides. Only the driveway connecting to the garage is used. Her requirements are an electric start and ease of use with arthritic hands. My concern is the Toro 721 or Honda 720 may be too much machine to easily maneuver. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Toro Power Clear 518 ZE $479
99cc 4-cycle OHV
Rotor Propelled
54 lbs

Toro Power Clear 721 QZE $759
212cc 4-cycle OHV
Power Propel Self-Propel
87 lbs

Honda HS720AS $809
4 cycle, 190cc Honda OHC
Auger-assist drive
93 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 722
I don't know how old your mom is. But have you considered an electric snowblower or thrower? Maintenance free and as long as she doesn't forget to plug it back in after use she'd be good for the next storm. Look at this video and see... I particularly like the 3rd one ion something since it is battery operated or AC wire if you run out of juice. These are light to handle. 37 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coby7; 10-05-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
She is 68 this year.

Thank you for the video links. I will check out some of those models. She would prefer to not have a cord, but maybe it's not as big of a hassle as she believes it would be. I have looked at the Ego battery operated snowblower it seems like a fine unit if the batteries can hold up long term with 9 months of non-use each season. The ergonomics seem fine, but I do not believe the flappers help propel the unit forward which may, or may not, be a concern.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 320
Likes (Received): 163
Garage
That Honda 720AS is pretty heavy if it has to be moved without power. I think that the 54 lb. Toro makes more sense for a 68 yr. old woman. I don't have any experience with the battery powered models, but they look like a good idea.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
post #5 of 21 Old 10-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 726
Thanks (Received): 216
Likes (Given): 1375
Likes (Received): 1379
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I don't know how old your mom is. But have you considered an electric snowblower or thrower? Maintenance free and as long as she doesn't forget to plug it back in after use she'd be good for the next storm. Look at this video and see... I particularly like the 3rd one ion something since it is battery operated or AC wire if you run out of juice. These are light to handle. 37 lbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhYat9jSphY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5BsVCbJg7g
do you have any real world experience with any of these? I get asked this question a lot around here. The dealer does not recommend because most of our snow is wet.

this will be my first winter trying a couple Honda single stages. a 520 and 621.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 21 Old 10-05-2019, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 216
Likes (Received): 98
Artes, I know this isn't the snowblower feedback you were looking for but maybe she should consider a local plow service or pay a neighbor willing to help. My mother also had arthritic hands and would be in misery for days if she did any outdoor work during the winter months.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Huntergreen liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 59
In some limited experience, I often think that getting a smaller/lighter/wimpier unit than the snow conditions demand is not doing a favor for someone who will be struggling with it anyway. Get one with electric start, easy controls, power steering, etc. Focus on lighter control effort rather than buying a lighter-weight machine that demands more physical effort to muscle around. Get one that you'll be comfortable using on the days when she can't or decides not to use. My fond memories of Omaha snow include almost everything except powder, but I was walking/driving, not clearing. The little electrics look like a good option especially if battery and not a lot to clear. Lithium ion batteries get charged in the sparing and sit all summer no problems.

New Husqy ST227P for 2014-15 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 12:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 48
I have a Honda tiller I bought in 1989, still runs great, pulls on first pull after setting all year, year after year. I like Honda, and that being said there's a lot of negative reviews on the Honda snowblower:
https://g.co/kgs/XUVrME

I have as Toro. It's a 2006, CCR 3650. Parts still available for it. Starts easy and does a good job on lighter snows. Four inches is no problem (I used it in 24" drifts. Not designed for them, but it works if you pick it up and drop it into the drift). Don't use it much anymore, backup only. (My primary is a 24" Ariens Platinum).

But it's the right size for your mom (my mom used one like it while she was still alive). Easy to start, turn and use (as long as she will be using it on cement, with slight slopes. If on gravel or moderate to large slopes, go with a powered unit.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine

Last edited by enigma-2; 10-14-2019 at 01:48 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 191
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 435
Garage
I would check out the Toro SnowMaster. It's similar to the Toro Personal Pace lawnmower, the mower or snowblower goes forward at your own pace by applying pressure to the handle by pushing it. It's a single stage, less intimidating than a two stage, less dangerous, lighter in weight, very easy to maneuver, has a good size engine, no gear shift lever to change, pretty powerful single stage, and has electric start.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #10 of 21 Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 78
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 313
Likes (Received): 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I would check out the Toro SnowMaster. It's similar to the Toro Personal Pace lawnmower, the mower or snowblower goes forward at your own pace by applying pressure to the handle by pushing it. It's a single stage, less intimidating than a two stage, less dangerous, lighter in weight, very easy to maneuver, has a good size engine, no gear shift lever to change, pretty powerful single stage, and has electric start.
x2 for the Snowmaster. There is none of that paddle drive single stage torquing and bucking going on. And it's nicely balanced.

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5)
1978 Ariens S16H Tractor & Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page