Buying a new Toro QZE 821 - Where to buy - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
Buying a new Toro QZE 821 - Where to buy

The last 2 snow blowers I purchased, I purchased @ home depot after finding out they order them and have them shipped directly to your door from Toro. This was for the snowblowers they only had online and not in stock at a local store. I found out if you go into the store to order an online item you can get your military discount.

I know there's lots of people that have issues with buying Toro's, Honda's, etc from big box stores and I can certainly understand that if you go and get one at the store and have them assemble it. That's were many of the issues come from.

I do see the need for dealers though for many reasons.

I'm going to buy a Toro QZE 821 since I just sold my Toro QZE721.

I know there's sites like snowblowers direct, snow blower source (lowest price because you can add a $20 coupon and no tax) and a few other sites. I called the above sites and they also take your order and have the item drop shipped from toro to your door.

How many of you shopped at the above sites and whats the experiences.

I called some local dealers and they want over $800 not including tax for the qze821. Home depot and most online places want $749, tax depends on site.

None of the dealers I contacted will match Home Depot and I didn't expect them to match online so I didn't ask.

For the price that the couple dealers wanted I could buy it at home depot or some of the online sites and even get the extended warranty and still save money compared to what I would spend at the dealer.

Home depot for me has been a good choice, but I'm keeping my options of where to buy open. I know with dealers you get service after the sale compared to online sites and Home depot is definitely hit or miss.

Thanks for any input!

I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Only differences are who puts them together at the big box stores, basically anyone with a gator socket and a adjustable wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 210
Likes (Received): 127
Garage
I spend a few more bucks and buy from the dealer. The dealer will back up the warranty if you buy from them. If there are problems, Home Depot will send you to the dealer. Good luck getting it serviced in a timely fashion! The warranty is only as good as where you buy it. If you are good at fixing things yourself, then Home Depot can be considered. I bought from the dealer and they installed a new chute and a transmission reservoir free of charge under warranty. I don't think they would do that for Home Depot customers. It was worth paying the extra bucks for a big two stage that I will keep for 20 years. For a less expensive machine, perhaps Home Depot is okay.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 10-05-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I spend a few more bucks and buy from the dealer. The dealer will back up the warranty if you buy from them. If there are problems, Home Depot will send you to the dealer. Good luck getting it serviced in a timely fashion! The warranty is only as good as where you buy it. If you are good at fixing things yourself, then Home Depot can be considered. I bought from the dealer and they installed a new chute and a transmission reservoir free of charge under warranty. I don't think they would do that for Home Depot customers. It was worth paying the extra bucks for a big two stage that I will keep for 20 years. For a less expensive machine, perhaps Home Depot is okay.
Good points, yea Home Depot or just about any big box store wouldn’t have changed those parts for you.

I understand what you’re saying completely.

I’ve done all the maintenance on my power equipment myself. I was a mechanic in the Army and am pretty handy.

In my case would it be worth it? Going to my local dealer and spending $883 (here my dealer wants the actual MSRP of $809 and sales tax of 9.2%) compared to spending $749 tax included at Home Depot (military discount) both online and Home Depot would ship it to my house. I’d need to go to the dealer and pick it up myself

Yes it’s a chance you take if you don’t buy from the dealer.

Unfortunately my dealer is much higher, not just a few bucks higher.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 210
Likes (Received): 127
Garage
Sounds like it is worth it for you to have it shipped to your house since you are so mechanically able.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Sounds like it is worth it for you to have it shipped to your house since you are so mechanically able.
Yes. Again trying to find if people that bought online or Home Depot had issues and what there experiences where.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I just found out that I can buy from Toro online directly by myself using Toro dealer.com.

It would actually be cheaper for me to buy directly from Toro online then to buy from my local Toro dealer, however more expensive than buying from Home Depot or some of the other online sites that do not charge tax. Toro dealer.com does charge tax.

When I add it to my cart on Toro dealer.com, before placing the order it says that I need to pick a local dealer to have be my servicing dealer
for questions and assistance If I should have an issue with the snowblower.

Now the question is, if I go the route of buying from Toro directly and picking one of my local dealers to be my servicing dealer, How would warranty issues work?

Would I still basically get blown off from that local dealer since I did not buy from them but I bought directly from Toro?

Last edited by steeve725; 10-05-2019 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
If the difference is $50, between a dealer and HD. I'd probably go to the dealer. You'll know it was assembled correctly and test run, and if you have a problem, the dealer is going to not push back service time, since you didn't buy it from them. A lot of shops work on customers that purchased from them, go to the head of the line.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #9 of 11 Old 10-06-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
If the difference is $50, between a dealer and HD. I'd probably go to the dealer. You'll know it was assembled correctly and test run, and if you have a problem, the dealer is going to not push back service time, since you didn't buy it from them. A lot of shops work on customers that purchased from them, go to the head of the line.
Yes for $50 I'd also go to the dealer, however like I mentioned above the dealer price would be $883 and HD price would be $749 (a difference of $134) I then found out I can buy from directly from Toro ($813 with tax included from Toro, $70 more from home depot) at Torodealer.com and have it shipped to my house. At Torodealer.com I pick a local dealer to be my servicing dealer, again will I have an issue if I have a problem with it and bring it to the dealer since I didn't buy from them but bought from Toro directly

Now I'm finding out about high altitude.

Living at an altitude of 5,108 and reading the owners manual before I buy. Toro states "Important: If you are using this machine above 1500 m (5,000 ft) for a continuous period, ensure that the High Altitude Kit has been installed so that the engine meets CARB/EPA emission regulations. The High Altitude Kit increases engine performance while preventing spark-plug fouling, hard starting, and increased emissions"

I've never had an issue with other Toro snowblowers I've had at my altitude before. Maybe it's just a new thing with the 821 and wasn't an issue before.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
I just bought this model from Home Depot. I figured it would ship from the local HD store but instead it came from all the way from Texas (I asked about this as was told this particular model isn't kept in stock). At some point in the delivery process the box was apparently dropped from a height. The machine seems ok but there was some bent metal, the owners manual was missing, and part were loose in the box. Also, on the Toro web site they list an extra paddle set as being included, which wasn't the case here. Although, I'll give it to HD who made good on that when I complained.
The Bottom Line for me is that while Home Depot was a convenient place to buy I wouldn't do it again. I'd go to a local dealer, pay the extra $50 to get a machine that has been inspected and has all the parts, etc.

Ariens 1124DLE
(*sold:Ariens ST27LE)
(*sold: John Deere TRS21)
Toro 821

Last edited by melson; 10-10-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in