Snowblower Forum banner

The nerve of some people!

8K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  John Wallace 
#1 ·
I've got a Yardman 8 24 advertised for $275...looking to get $250 at least. I.ve got new skids, scraper, welded on a four inch strip on the bottom of the bucket so I could attach said scrapers and skids....motor serviced and sweet, tranny serviced and adjusted....you know the drill. I just got messaged by someone that offered me $150....cause he's a RESELLER.....***...I do the work and he makes the coin?????? UGH...NO

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
it never ceases to amaze me what people say anymore. I was talking about it in the reseller thread. people telling you their wife has cancer or they had a death in the family or I should give them a break because they too are a patriots fan or are Italian or like Corona beer also.

Or they ask if you are a "flipper" like it's a dirty word and your price is "way too high". everytime I think I've heard it all , another bozo comes outta the woodwork.

seems to me you are asking a very fair price. wait until a snowstorm and get $100 more.

#6 ·
I might do the same if I was reselling stuff. It doesn't hurt to ask, and once in a while it might pay off. From your side, the answer is that you are a reseller too, and that you've already done the work. The "discount" would apply to the ones that haven't been touched yet, and those aren't ready for sale yet. Tongue in cheek: Ask him how many he is willing to sell you at the 40% discount because you are also a reseller.

I'll probably resell mine some day.

#8 ·
I don't really have a problem with him making a low offer, but I don't like the "reasoning" approach. I've made low offers, and when refused, I politely said ok, thanks or I raised my offer.

#9 ·
I feel your pain, have a completely rebuilt 32" Ariens listed for $1,000 or BR0.....
Was offered $350.
My ad reads like this ......

Machine has been dissembled, inspected, and rebuilt.
Installed all these NEW PARTS
12HP Briggs & Stratton engine with 120-volt electric start and recoil backup
48 watt led light
Heated hand grips
Chute control cable
Axle bearings
Impeller bearing
Friction wheel
Auger bushings
Shear pins
Wear shoes
Transmission & Auger Belts

Gearbox has been inspected, filled with “00” grease, auger shafts cleaned & polished.
Every moving part has been adjusted & lubricated.
It has the professional cast iron gearbox, locking axle, snow hog tires, remote chute control.

But was offered $350.... kind of offending offer considering the amount of work done and new parts, but that is what ya have to deal with. The replacement today machine is $2500 and not as quality built.
Still early in the year yet, kinda why I'm getting out of the hobby of rebuilding & selling.

Going to focus on completing my current machine projects, and my last machine will be an Ariens double auger 32" monster.

#10 ·
i usually won't deal with idiots that pretty much cut your price in half just because they are a reseller especially if you already got something listed for a pretty fair price. i will sometimes even send insulting response. if the machine needed work it might be understandable but if it is all ready to go then lowballing like that is just a A-hole thing to do. had a couple idiots like that message me about stuff i have for sale lately. i guess since it is the end of the year they feel like they can low ball me on already discounted end of season prices that are firm. most places you sell stuff have user profiles now and show what the other person is selling so it makes it easy to see that they are a reseller and making themselves look stupid.

#11 ·
It's that season for sure. Usually always wants more at half the price. A few years back I had a running 10000 series for 100 bucks and let the guy do a compression test check out the trans etc. Everything checked out. After 30 mins he is like I'll give you 60.

It's kinda warm right now. Once it gets cold later this month they will be selling quick for sure.

#12 ·
When I post ads on Facebook Marketplace and get a lowballer, here's what I do:

* Click on the 3 little dots to the right of the sender's message
* Click on "Something's Wrong"
* Click on "Deliberately Low Offer"
* Click on "Send"
* Click on "Block" to permanently block this person

If somebody is going to lowball you on your current snowblower, it's likely they'll do it on your next machine too-- no need to continue hearing from the same goofballs.

#14 ·
I had a nice Honda for sale at a very fair price .Guy emailed and asked that I call him. So I called and he asked some questions. He said the asking price was fair and asked ifhe could give me either a cashiers check or cash when he came to pick up.

I , of course , said CASH and he agreed. He was about an hour away. he showed up , big smile on his face, very friendly and glad happy. Started looking at the machine and started pointing out every scratch on the machine. Nothing major , just little things.

Says he will give me $300 less than the agreed upon price. I called him on it but he said he did not know the machine had all these "problems" with it.

WHAT FREAKIN PROBLEMS??? it was all cosmetic. ( I had 11 pictures in ad )

I just said "Im sorry you wasted your time ." and walked away. he said wait a minute I just came from over an hour away?

I told him'"good luck in your search" and walked into the house.

#18 ·
Other one is "how old is it". Its not like a lawn mower that gets used 7 moths of the year, on a weekly basis.
even if it is used daily for commercial use lawn mower age really doesn't matter if you take care of it and it shows if you take care of a machine or not. i got a couple machines that i abuse the heck out of the engines and you would never know by the way they run or still start on first pull. i lent one of those machines to a buddy the other day and he was pretty surprised how well it works to cut the grass. still strong running and cuts the grass awesome with very little bogging under heavy load. just sucks that the deck is going bad but stuff like that shows when you look underneath. i have picked up a couple machines that look nearly brand new underneath but also look like they have seen heavy usage. the decks that rot out are usually the people who are too lazy to clean the machine out occasionally.

#19 ·
It gets hard to tell a story, when they see my garage full of blowers. And I'm a little uncomfortable leaving a machine out with the door closed, without me being out there. I have a side entry garage, hard to conceal. Its like they get bent that your making money off it, since your not the original owner.

#24 ·

I sometime buy blowers, mowers, etc from the original owners and often times these machines are the WORST and needs lots of work. So when someone looks at one of my machines thats obviously been cleaned and gone through and asks that stupid question I just laugh now. It doesn't mean SQUAT!

examples of original owner goodness:

The diff out of a J-D 1032...

The nest infested cylinder head on an Onan

Same machine:

Scotts Lawn tractor

Scag mower Before

Scag mower After

#28 ·
To me (as a potential buyer) the reason for questions about the age of the machine / are you the original owner / etc is more about the PO being able to answer my questions. If they have owned for a while then they should be able to answer questions about issues found, maintenance done, etc. If they got it recently, then the line of questions focuses on why they did not fix things, or why they are getting rid of the item. If they can't (or won't) answer any of the questions, then that tells me (and them) that there are more unknown risks. The right questions provide leverage in the negotiations. And as always, I keep it courteous. It is never personal to me, and I am always willing to politely walk away.

I understand that condition is more important than age.

Reactions: micah68kj
#31 ·
saw a great deal yesterday. ( 10 minutes after posting ) called the guy. I said I would pay his asking price . he said okay and for me to pick up.
about 10 minutes later just before leaving he called back and said he was getting offers of 100 and 200 more than his asking price and asked me if I would offer close to same ?

really made my day.

the nerve or ( B@[[$ ) on some people.......

#32 ·
a lot of people do stuff like that tho. they start getting a lot better offers and realize they may have listed it too cheap. if they are getting offers of a $100-200 more they must have had it listed way cheaper than it is worth. at least he called you back instead of waiting till you showed up. good deals always sell quick.

#33 ·
I have a machine posted on craigslist, I received this email last night, inquiring about it. Note, I'm asking $500 for the machine, that has only been used a couple of times and is only a couple yrs old, like new cond.

Good evening,

My name is Nick. I'm writing from Dearborn. I'm wondering if you are willing to negotiate the price? I just bought a house so I don't have much but i can $250 cash if that works for you. Thanks in advance either way!!

Nick C**a

#36 ·
So... The "original owner?" question quickly identifies you as as a "reseller", or worse, the dreaded "flipper". (!!!) The nerve of you guys asking to be paid for your work. Appalling in today's world.

Age and condition together are actually pluses in many cases. We've watched as beancounters and cost management engineers have found more and more ways of lowering the build costs, usually with thinner metal and plastic bearings. There are no zerks on my current machine; for the average user that might be a plus, but for those of us who know machinery, not so good. Got a previous-gen heavy-metal workhorse that isn't devastated by rust? Starts easily and runs well? Is it snowing out right now? I'll give ya fifty bux for it...

I've bought and sold some interesting cars over the years, and have dome the market research on what I've been selling. A tire-kicker comes by and makes a low-ball offer, and gets a counteroffer that's higher that the original price. WTH???? That way we can compromise at the midpoint that's the same as the original price. If the potential buyer doesn't get the hint, they get politely dismissed. If someone starts picking at a paint chip or mileage and wants dollars off, I reset the starting price at the original sticker price and "discount" from there. Lots of interesting negotiating tactics. For snowblowers, I'd be pretty secure at this time of year. If it isn't snowing today, it will be tomorrow, and tomorrow I'll get "my" today price or more. Patience is king, grasshopper!

#37 ·
copy that @drbob

yesterday had a guy look at one of my blowers. older gentleman from a high priced zip code. spent 20 minutes explaining what i did to machine. took it all apart , replaced any worn parts, fully serviced top to bottom , almost in new condition .....yada yada yada

guy says "that's great ! but I see this same exact blower online for only $300." I politely told him maybe he should have bought that one then and finished it off by saying "good luck in your search"

the nerve of some people......

#40 ·
busted a gut getting this guys blower done. the work took over 8 hours for last 2 days and he assured me he would pick up today so i would have room for other blowers.

guess what? could not come today and not sure when he can come. I'm tempted to email him and say there is a $25 charge for each day storage.

......the NERVE of some people.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.