post #1 of 13 Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Looking for a new blower

Hey all,

As mentioned, I'm looking for a new snowblower for this winter. Currently have a 10 year old Ariens, 24" wide. It's been a bit of a pain every year since the first year. Just a finicky engine.

My driveway has a decent incline, and is pretty wide. I also help out the neighbor's driveway - single mom, no snowblower. Also need to do the sidewalks, and clear away the curb by the mailbox. Both the sidewalks and driveway mean dealing with snowplow piles, so lots of 1-2 foot piles. My current Ariens struggles with this, as well as the incline of the driveway, so I'm looking at something with tracks.

So, wondering about which brand to go with. Based on what I've read so far, I'd prefer to stick with just a 2-stage based on some of the issues I've heard about with the 3-stage models. Something in the 28" wide range would be nice as well.

I like the price range and features of the Troy-Bilt Storm Track 2890 with track drive. Has the features I'm looking for, but I don't know much about the brand. Sounds like it's under the MTD umbrella now, which means engines built in China most likely. Any experience with them, or this model in particular?

My father in law has also mentioned that he might be selling his snowblower, which is a Husqvarna 1827EXLT. Not sure if it's available to me or not, but if it is, he mentioned he'd sell it to me for $1200. The thing is a beast, but does not have very good reviews from what I've found on it.

Thoughts, suggestions? Is the Troy-bilt a good machine? I'd love to get a nice track drive Honda or Ariens, but those are $1k more. Are they worth that much money? I love my Honda mower, but that's a lot more money.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
I honestly think a Deluxe 28 would be a great choice. If you can get the SHO, all the more better, but I wouldn't go with the fuel injected model. I loved my Deluxe 28 SHO I only sold it because I needed the $$$
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 250
Which Ariens do you have? If itís a compact 24Ē that is the bottom end of Ariens and if a issued engine then there is a issue with it needing attention. Anyhow, ALL snowblowers now have Chinese made engines except Honda which is Japan made, MTD are not bad but are a bit cheaper made but will last if weíll maintained but Ariens is higher in quality if you go with the deluxe and up variants

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 10:17 AM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 933
Likes (Received): 214
Garage
I know it's not a track drive,but you live in Toro country my friend!....https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...994800359.html

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #5 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethar View Post
I like the price range and features of the Troy-Bilt Storm Track 2890 with track drive. Has the features I'm looking for, but I don't know much about the brand. Sounds like it's under the MTD umbrella now, which means engines built in China most likely. Any experience with them, or this model in particular?
I gave my son a T-B Storm Tracker 2690 XP last year for Christmas and he has been VERY happy with it. I purchased it used (not running) and refurbished it prior to giving it to him. I'm a Honda guy myself; tracked HS80 for over 30 years and now a HSS1332ATD. While the Troy-Bilt is not in the same class as the Hondas, so far it has acquitted itself well.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...-xp-rehab.html
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #6 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Not sure on the exact model. It’s a Sno-Tek with the LCT 208cc motor.

I’ve had to shovel my driveway a few times over the years because it just won’t start. Carb has been replaced multiple times. Always run non-oxy fuel, Stabil during summer, etc. My other small engines are always good, but this has been a pain. Plus, while it’s decent with some snow, it’s not great with deep snow. I’d like more power for sure.

The Troy-Bilt has a 277cc motor and a 28” wide clearing width. So a big bigger motor and bucket. As much as I’d love to get a SHO or Honda, not sure I can justify the $2500 price.

Last edited by Phaethar; 10-08-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 250
AH Sno-Tek is similar to the compact but IS the bottom end of Ariens, have one myself I keep for the wife as she likes it but with a 254cc engine. Strange your having so much issue with it starting as those engines have been rock solid for many people, Maybe you have another issue, Perhaps a valve out of adjustment (these have adjustable valves) but none the less the Troy Bilt is a good machine but just not built as heavy duty as some of the others.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 347
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1141
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 42
If the carburetor jets are not plugged with debris from old gas, a can of starting fluid might help to get it running. Just be careful with the stuff. Spray some into the carburetorís air filter and try starting it.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-10-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
If the carburetor jets are not plugged with debris from old gas, a can of starting fluid might help to get it running. Just be careful with the stuff. Spray some into the carburetorís air filter and try starting it.
I replaced the carb (again) last year. It ran pretty well last winter, so I'm hoping that carries over into this year. Will be changing oil and stuff this weekend most likely, and will try and start it up then since we'll be cold enough.

My comments were more in general about it. Despite taking good care of it (good gas, Seafoam, Stabil, oil changes, etc), it seems like every 2-3 years it just won't want to start, or won't run well. Usually seems to be fuel related, and results in having to clean or replace the carb, or replace the spark plug, or something. The fuel line ripped a couple years ago, had to replace that.

We're having our wettest year ever so far in MN, so I'm expecting a lot of snow this winter if that trend continues. I'd like to get my old Ariens ready to sell (it's a model 920402 BTW), and then pick up a new replacement. Thinking it will likely be the Troy-Bilt Storm Track 2890 right now. Should be a nice upgrade from what I've been using, and will make dealing with the incline on the driveway(s) much easier. Hopefully the extra power also helps with the huge snowbanks at the end of the driveway, in front of the mailbox, and all along the sidewalks too.

Thoughts on the 2-stage Storm Tracker 2890 compared to the 3-stage Vortex Tracker 2890XP? The XP has a bigger engine, which would be nice, but also is 3-stage, which seems to introduce more problems than it solves by most accounts. Haven't found many reviews of the 2890XP yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page