Snowblower Forum banner

Oil leaking

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  tabora 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I have an oil valve thats leaking. It was installed by the previous owner. Should I replace it with a small water valve or rebuild?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm with cranman, just put the cap back on it. Your only draining it once a year, if that, .... as I use 5W30 Full Synthetic in all my equipment, and with as many blowers as I have, lol ... I struggle to get a workout on all of them in a year ... a nice hobby of mine ...:)

#7 ·
Get the brass bolt to plug it with. I would probably take the valve off and replace it with a newer oil drain valve because it could leak from the valve lever if it was a water valve. Water valves were not designed to withstand the heat and vibration that comes with running a small engine.

#9 ·
It's pipe threads, all standard, 1/4"? 3/8"? I buy black (bare, untreated) or galvanized and paint it rather than buy brass. I'm cheap.

#16 ·
Most likely the valve would open while it was running so they added a bolt.

Correct.... That is a common safety measure, IF done correctly. The valve should have Pipe Threads...... So IF they installed a Pipe Plug, that would give the added safety measure if the valve opened, and will not leak, as the parts would have matching threads.

GLuck, Jay

#17 ·
Most likely the valve would open while it was running so they added a bolt.

Correct.... That is a common safety measure, IF done correctly. The valve should have Pipe Threads...... So IF they installed a Pipe Plug, that would give the added safety measure if the valve opened, and will not leak, as the parts would have matching threads.
And that's why I suggested a proper, locking valve in Post 2: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/1677511-post2.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.