Snowblower Forum banner

Flex Seal Tape

7K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  brickcity 
#1 ·
#6 ·
HMM Ocean state Job Lot has that tape (A discount store in these parts) May pick some up next time I am there.

#7 ·
I used the white FlexSeal tape to repair (from the back side) cracks in the shower stall in my cottage. The stuff is incredibly sticky, and the finished side is quite smooth and slippery. With careful application, peeling the backing as you go, I bet it would work well on the back side of the chute.

Reactions: orangputeh
#8 ·
"Tile tape" is what they used to seal drainage pipes underground. It is supposed to stick even in water. It is quite flexible and smooth backside. If I was you, I would just wax it with car wax and see how how that does first.

I just waxed my snowblower this afternoon. The plastic chute on my Toro works great, but the plastic chute on my MTD has a lot of marks, and rock chips in it. MTD must have used a softer plastic.

#9 ·
I guess I'm unique, as all these years, I never had an issue with any of my chutes, but they are all metal, with the exception of a Craftsman that I am just wrapping up, as it has a plastic chute, but I do not expect any issues with it.

#11 ·
I agree the metal chutes don’t have a lot of issues but I was more wanting to protect the metal as most older ones seem to get rusted pretty good from the paint scratching off, was hoping the tape would help

#10 ·
Being on a cul-de-sac is nice and quiet, but in the winter I end up with having to clear EOD about 3 times the amount of a normal 2 car drive. My drive is the easy part, it's the road EOD that causes all the wear and tear.

#12 · (Edited)
@Dauntae,

I would think any type of tape would be shredded with the icy snow, etc,... leaving you with one **** of a sticky mess to contend with ... ??? ouch .. ^^%$%#$@

If your concerned about the paint being scratched of, I would sand it down and repaint it prior to every winter.

Personally , I never felt the need to do it on the inside of my chutes.

#13 ·
No sticky mess ever with Flex Tape! Phil Swift and the Flex Seal family of products would come to the rescue with Flex Tape Adhesive Remover!! Look at all the super cool Flex Seal products available....https://www.flexsealproducts.com/shop/

Just look at all the snowblower products. THere's Winter Wax Coating, Maximum Traction, (for tires), Maximum Traction Glow! WOW and Slick Fix Super Dry Lubricant. Forget Fluid Film and hurry to the Flex Seal website today! This has been a non-celebrity presentation for Flex Seal.

#14 ·
If you are concerned about the effectiveness of Flex tape, (and since no one here has tried it) I would suggest applying a peel coat first to your chute. Something like this:https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/peel-coat/peel-coat
If the Flex Tape, or whatever you want to use is no longer desired simply remove the peel coat and your chute is back to normal.

#16 ·
I used to spray Pam on my chute. this year going to try Fluid Film. Not sure how fast it will wash off. Don't have too many issues unless It is very wet/slushy snow. i only have metal chutes.

#18 ·
You can google a YouTube video for 'best duct tape' and get several video hits. one YouTuber called "Project Farm" has made two or three videos where he prosecutes a dozen different tape brands.

#19 ·
My thought keeps going to Yamaha with that nice liner they put in and helps it launch snow to the next county LOL Not a need but a desire so wondering if the flex take would help the launch.

#21 ·
I lined my chute with 10 mil UHMW tape last fall that I got from Amazon. Since I have a gravel driveway, my intent was to protect the chute from the inevitable nicks and scratches from stones. The tape held up well with only a few small cuts and seemed to protect the chute. The roll I bought was enough to do my chute twice, so when the tape is marked up enough, I'll remove the old tape and re-apply. It may just be my imagination, but I think the 28SHO blows snow a bit farther with the tape as well.

#22 · (Edited)
#23 ·
Pretty cheap price, ordered a sheet to see if it’s usable, fun to try for $9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.