LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Leave trufuel in blower

Hi everyone - I am planning on using trufuel for my snow blower. I read since it doesn't have ethanol it won't gum up the engine. Can I just leave this in the mower after the season without running it until empty? My dad says he's left it in the snow blower for 4 years since he got his new one. Not sure if I should do that.

Also he said the same thing with the oil, never changed it or added to it. Is that fine as well. Wanted to get a second opinion for the experts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 35
Garage
Trufuel already includes a stabilizer. It's a good idea if you don't use the blower much in a season.

It becomes costly if you have to buy multiple cans in a year. In my case it wouldn't make financial sense.

1999 Craftsman 11.0/31 (C950-52930-0)
post #3 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Received): 144
@Rich,

All my equipment uses reg. fuel, with ethanol in it , from the pumps ... I put it in 5 gal cans, and immediately add Stabil, as well as Seafoam at half rate.

I never drain a tank, or run anything out of fuel ... it all gets parked, runs great from year to year, starting flawlessly on summer and winter equipment.

I do only use 5W30 full synthetic in all my equipment. And at maximum, change it every 2 years if not before, depending on hours of unit use.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 10:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Is it ok to run 5w30 in the summer? Like a lawn mower.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 134
Richierich, your profile does not say where you are. If you're certain that you're going to use the snowblower from one winter to the next leaving trufuel in it over the off season should be fine as others have said.

However, around here it is not a certainty that I'll use the snowblower in any given winter. Sometimes all we need is a broom and we don't use the snowblower at all. This is why I drain all the fuel from the tank, fuel lines and carburetor, change oil, grease & oil what needs it, and basically prepare it for sitting for an unknown period of years. Because we've gone as long as four years and not even started it.

Some people have said they can leave fuel in it for years and it starts right up. Good for them. That has not been my experience, which is why I go to the bother of draining all fuel from it every spring if it has been run.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 12:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 237
Likes (Received): 139
Garage
I've had good luck with non-ethanol gas in the tank for some years in the snowblower as long as I shut off the fuel valve and run the carb dry. During the off-season, I keep the tank topped up. The less air nearby, the less oxidation/degradation of the fuel. But in a Honda generator, I had problems even with non-ethanol gas and I was taught to drain the carb bowl after an expensive service.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)
post #7 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 01:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
Hi everyone - I am planning on using trufuel for my snow blower. I read since it doesn't have ethanol it won't gum up the engine. Can I just leave this in the mower after the season without running it until empty? My dad says he's left it in the snow blower for 4 years since he got his new one. Not sure if I should do that.

Also he said the same thing with the oil, never changed it or added to it. Is that fine as well. Wanted to get a second opinion for the experts.
It's pretty expensive..if you do go that route .. I would use Petro from the station during the season..then when the season ended..run the tank dry them put in your trufuel..run for a couple of minutes then shut down.
I have a Craftsman (MTD)..it has no fuel shutoff.. I use alcohol free fuel and seafoam ....and run the engine for a few minutes once a month or so..I pulled the bowl a few weeks ago to look for 'growth'..looked great inside.
The MTD based units seem to have a higher rate of carburetor problems.
The alcohol free fuel and seafoam is working for me while keeping fuel in the tank and ocassionally starting the engine.
It's the method I use until I am forced to remove the carb... at which time I will install a fuel shut off somewhere

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #8 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
TruFuel is a waste of money. Just find a local source of ethanol free gas. Even aviation gas is cheaper than TruFuel and is available at your local air field.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Received): 144
@Malish,

Yes, but Only if it is a Full Synthetic 5W30 ......
post #10 of 17 Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm in NY so I'm sure I'll use the snow blower yearly. I understand the cost concerns but my driveway is pretty small so I'll be able to do it quickly.

I think I'm going to do like my dad and just buy the tru fuel and leave it in the snowblower in the shed during the offseason and it should start right up again next winter. Also I'm going to leave the oil, it says to change it after the 1st 5 hours (but I know a lot of people that don't). And then once every 25 hours. I'll be done in under an hour with my driveway so I'll just leave the oil for at least a few years.

Any flaw in my plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in