LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 176
damage caused by ethanol

i know this is one of them subjects that get beat to death but Project farm recently released a video and it was pretty interesting to see the results. it is not super scientific and i would have liked to see a bit larger amounts of fuel used and maybe a few different fuel stabilizers or ethanol combatant products but still pretty cool to see. i will definitely stick to running ethanol free gas as long as it is available for my for my carbed engines.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Lunta, Stability, aldfam4 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 125
It is a well known fact that if you leave untreated ethanol gas in a carburetor for a long time, years or whatever, that it will turn to crap.

I have never had an issue in all the years on my equipment, as I add Stabil and half the required amount of Seafoam. I run my equipment all season and park it in off season ... everything fires up next season flawlessly

Even if you use ethanol free gas, and park any unused equipment for years, I would suggest emptying the gas and run it dry, pull the plug and add a squirt of oil in the cylinder.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 780
I have had no issues with Non-ethanol gas, treated with seafoam, sitting for the 7 to 8 months of my snowblower "off season",
they always start up fine in late October after sitting since February.
Could probably go a year with no issues, but I wouldn't push it further than that.

For my new Honda generator, ive decided i'm going to store non-ethanol gas, with seafoam, for 6 month intervals.
On the Winter and Summer solstices I will dump the gas into my truck, then re-fill the stored generator gas supply with fresh gas from the pump. (only 5 gallons)

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 04:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 229
Likes (Received): 136
Garage
Since I have found a cheap source of non-ethanol gas, I'm adding a stabilizer and using it in all the machines. I was shown a screw at the bottom of my EU2000i's generator and drain the carb after each use now prior to a long storage time. Even with non-ethanol gas, without draining my carb, I was unable to start the generator after 6-8 months of storage. Now, it takes 9-10 pulls to bring gas down and start the generator, but it starts after a prolonged period of non-use.

Honda HSS928AWD (upgraded chute, transmission)
Honda HS720AS (at sister's)
Honda EU2000i (generator)

Last edited by Miles; 10-23-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
Here's a link to an interesting rebuttal to ethanol causing damage in small engines.

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...nol-tests.html

Bob
Thanks Stability thanked for this post
post #6 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA4370 View Post
Here's a link to an interesting rebuttal to ethanol causing damage in small engines.

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...nol-tests.html
i really don't know if i would personally put much faith in what he has to say. all pieces are the same and he wants to play the jelly and corrosion as the paint which is on the 1 side. if that is the case how come the gas without ethanol didn't do the same thing? you can definitely see the white corrosion in the jelly from the e85. you can also see the damage done to the metal once it is cleaned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I was unable to start the generator after 6-8 months of storage.
i know the video is not directly about that but it does seem like fuel looses it kick with age which is why it didn't lite when he tried to light it on fire and needed a bit of assistance to start the engine. it does at least seem like it lasts better than the ethanol fuel which didn't run even with a bit of a boost.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Miles thanked for this post
post #7 of 10 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
i know this is one of them subjects that get beat to death but Project farm recently released a video and it was pretty interesting to see the results. it is not super scientific and i would have liked to see a bit larger amounts of fuel used and maybe a few different fuel stabilizers or ethanol combatant products but still pretty cool to see. i will definitely stick to running ethanol free gas as long as it is available for my for my carbed engines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvS_D4_lF5U&t
Don't know if it was this video or another one he did but it showed how bad even E free gas degraded and turned into junk in 8 months. I think it may have been gas that was left open and maybe that explains it?
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney View Post
Don't know if it was this video or another one he did but it showed how bad even E free gas degraded and turned into junk in 8 months. I think it may have been gas that was left open and maybe that explains it?
i don't think that was project farm or i don't remember seeing it. it seems like the fuel may have lost some of its flammability with age but definitely doesn't seem like it degraded and turned to junk quite like the stuff with ethanol did. it also seems like the ethanol free also didn't have as much gas evaporate off as the stuff with ethanol.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 562
Am I the only one that starts his machines on the first of the month and let's them run for 10-15 minutes. My 30 year old Yammy never failed to start, none of my engines ever had carburetor problems. Ever!!! Not even my old disposable lawn mower with a Briggs. You know the $100 WalMart brand....

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''

Last edited by Coby7; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 118
Coby7: I tend to agree with your methods, I start up most of my snowblowers a few times during the off-season. I will run for 15 minutes, turn off the fuel, and run them dry, but they usually get started a few times at least. Also, I have not had problems with ethanol gas in my lawnmowers or snowblowers. I believe that neglect (open gas cans, old gas, dirty gas cans, etc), has a bigger impact on fuel systems than the ethanol.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page