Looking for the best blower for deep packed snow - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Looking for the best blower for deep packed snow

Hello, I’m looking for some advice on a new snowblower purchase. I live in far northeastern Minnesota and we get a lot of snow. I have 800’ of gravel driveway. My biggest issue and reason for needing something new is I have put up a couple of high tunnel greenhouses for our small farm operation and the snow slips off and builds up along the walls. I need to keep this clear so it doesn’t build up onto the roof. This snow is deep and packed. Currently I have a 1966 gravely walk behind with a 26” blower and a 9 hp snapper. The gravely used to chew through anything no problem, recently it hasn’t run as well and tends to bog down in deep snow. The snapper does ok on the driveway though it doesn’t throw it far enough, but in the deep pack it just wants to climb up and won’t chew into the bank. I’ve been looking into three stage which maybe would auger into the packed pile??? Or maybe there is another blower out there particularly suited to this task. My other consideration is buying a small tractor and blower. This option is obviously way more expensive but this point I want something that will get the job done. Currently I’m spending more than a day removing 12” of snow. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 289
800 feet of gravel driveway, I would go with the tractor.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 6
Sounds like the Gravely needs a rebuild.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 510
Likes (Received): 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
800 feet of gravel driveway, I would go with the tractor.
Great advise, please post pics of your new setup!

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 119
Likes (Given): 94
Likes (Received): 135
Garage
To significantly reduce your snowblowing time you need much more capable equipment. A wider bucket of about 32" or 36" and a lot of torque or hp to drive it. Since you have a lot of gravel the Ariens 32 Rapidtrack is going to have the speed and thickness of metal for the bucket and impeller housing and chute to stand up to the job. But you still need about 4 passes (out to the road and back, twice) which takes time.

A good tractor with a front mounted 44" blower will be faster and more expensive. My son's John Deere 140 with 44" 2 stage blower does a good job on a slight grade with chains. The hydrostatic drive allows much higher ground speed than a snowblower, and the 44" width means only 2 passes (out to the road and back) for an adequate road width.

Your choices will be budget limited.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
With that size driveway get yourself a nice garden tractor. I have a X720 and just grin when it snows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_100152_1574466027896.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	159475  

2010 John Deere X720 w/ 47" snowblower
1989 Toro 824- Sold
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921035- Sold
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 20
If you don’t want a tractor the Honda HSM1336i is as big and heavy as it gets on this side of the planet as far as walk behind blowers go they are around 565lbs and very large tracks, as far as price all that power and the technology it has doesn’t come cheap.

Take a look on YouTube for some videos, lots of them are in Japan and such where it’s a 1390.

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS

Last edited by 71Dragtruck; 11-22-2019 at 07:57 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2019, 12:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 263
if you don't want a tractor go with an Ariens Rapid Trak or Pro32
post #9 of 14 Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 93
Likes (Given): 171
Likes (Received): 142
I would have the Gravely rebuilt or repaired before I would even think about a new snowblower. Those old Gravely's would out do any new machine out there today.
Stay away from those Three Stage, you will be disappointed with them, they are nothing but problems,"junk" to say it nicely.
You have to find someone who is familiar with the old "L" model who knows what they are doing with them, and they should be able to take care of it for you.
A 1966 model is a "Newer" model and should have another good 50 plus years out of it still.
You can find a lot of people and help for the old Gravely's on the internet, there are a lot of collectors and people out there who can help you with it. Many Fan Clubs for Gravely.
If you take care of that Gravely, you will get three times the life and performance out of it than you would with the best, latest and greatest machines made today.
The old "L" model engine ran around 1800 RPM,s full speed with a ton of torque and they were a direct drive to the snowblower so the blower spun at the engine speed, it wasn't geared down like all other snow blowers whose impeller speeds were a little over 1000 RPM's. The Gravely blower had a huge heavy impeller on them.
You probably have one of the "M" series blowers if it is an old model, the "Dog Eater", and those things can eat a lot more things than just snow. I have seen people cut notches or teeth into the auger ribbons so they would chew into ice chunks a little bit better, but those old heavy iron machines with all the weight and power they had didn't need much help bull-dozing there way through snow and ice.
Those old iron Gravely's with the "Dog Eater" bolted fast to them weighed in around 600 plus pounds and they were built solid. You sometimes had to "Man Handle" them, but nothing could beat them, they were one tough walk behind machine.

Last edited by ST1100A; 11-23-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bearman49709, 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #10 of 14 Old 11-23-2019, 01:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 93
Likes (Given): 171
Likes (Received): 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creakingtree View Post
Hello, Iím looking for some advice on a new snowblower purchase. I live in far northeastern Minnesota and we get a lot of snow. I have 800í of gravel driveway. My biggest issue and reason for needing something new is I have put up a couple of high tunnel greenhouses for our small farm operation and the snow slips off and builds up along the walls. I need to keep this clear so it doesnít build up onto the roof. This snow is deep and packed. Currently I have a 1966 gravely walk behind with a 26Ē blower and a 9 hp snapper. The gravely used to chew through anything no problem, recently it hasnít run as well and tends to bog down in deep snow. The snapper does ok on the driveway though it doesnít throw it far enough, but in the deep pack it just wants to climb up and wonít chew into the bank. Iíve been looking into three stage which maybe would auger into the packed pile??? Or maybe there is another blower out there particularly suited to this task. My other consideration is buying a small tractor and blower. This option is obviously way more expensive but this point I want something that will get the job done. Currently Iím spending more than a day removing 12Ē of snow. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
Check with Richards Gravely in Spencer,W.V. 304-927-4550 if you need help with that "L" model Gravely, he is good with them and getting parts for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page