Why am I suddenly blowing fuses with LED headlights? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Angry Why am I suddenly blowing fuses with LED headlights?

Ariens Platnium 921028 with AX 291 engine, head light, and handwarmers. I added two 18w LED floodlights using a bridge rectifier, 5amp fuse, and a toggle switch. Everything worked perfectly on first and second startup. I ran the lights for about 3 to 4min each time. Was not using the handwarmers at the same time.

Fast forward about 2 weeks, I start up the machine, flip the toggle, and instantly blow the fuse. Lights never even began to light up. Replace fuse, try again, same result. For the heck of it, throw in a 7.5amp fuse and same result. Again, handwarmers were off the entire time.

The only thing I changed since the first install was the spark plug and oil. I'm completely baffled. Any suggestions?

-----------------------------------------
2013 Ariens P24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 51
Why am I suddenly blowing fuses with LED headlights?

Unplug the switch and make the connection, see if that keeps them on to rule out the switch. unplug 1 light at a time to see if one is causing issue. Do u know what amps the machine puts out? Also did u use a spark plug with a resistor maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Unplug the switch and make the connection, see if that keeps them on to rule out the switch. unplug 1 light at a time to see if one is causing issue. Do u know what amps the machine puts out? Also did u use a spark plug with a resistor maybe?

Stator puts out 12-14V AC @ 5 Amps (60W). 20W stock halogen bulb, handwarmers draw 30W.

I'll have to try bypassing the switch tomorrow morning. I was also considering just pulling out the stock halogen to give me another 20W of head room. Still, I don't understand why the LEDs would work on 2 trials and then start repeatedly blowing fuses unless something "broke".

2013 Ariens P24
post #4 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 09:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
do the leds actually draw 18w each?

post #5 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
do the leds actually draw 18w each?

Highly doubt it. I haven't measured but from what I've read its more like 9 to 10W each

2013 Ariens P24
post #6 of 13 Old 11-30-2019, 10:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Try switching out the halogen bulb with the LED bulb

post #7 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 187
Garage
Had similar issue with led pod lights on my truck. Wired everything and left hanging to test and all was well...installed them permanently in the bumper and when i turned on they blew the fuse. So I double check everything and all looked good. Wire by wire I traced and found nothing......
So I decided to disconnect both lights, turned on and circuit held. So it has to be one of the lights, as it turned out one of them was assembled poorly and it shorted when I mounted them in the bumper. Fixed wire and all has been good for months.
Disconnect each light, and then see if one of those are shorted to ground, you can check it with a ohm meter. Possibly similar thing happened to your lights. Please give us an update when you get it resolved.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #8 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 02:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 164
u got a short somewhere, multimeter would help, probably at the light socket base but could be anywhere along the circuit. eg bare/damaged wire touching frame, faulty socket or any electrical component termination, dont assume its its the last thing u changed like changing the light

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 12-01-2019 at 02:15 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 20
As @vinnycom & others have already said, any fuse that immediately blows is either shorted or woefully undersized for the load.

Circuit breakers, on the other hand, can, and do, act very differently from their stated rating. That is why certain critical loads are protected by fuses, not breakers.

Ariens 1124DLE
(*sold:Ariens ST27LE)
(*sold: John Deere TRS21)
Toro 821
post #10 of 13 Old Today, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update:
So, despite not believing I could have a short considering I shrink wrapped and taped each wire individually to isolate them from each other, and also had all wires inside plastic tubing... I went ahead and unwrapped everything to check connections.

Everything looked perfect.

Then it hit me. After testing the lights when they last worked, I remembered I had pulled the 4 connectors off the bridge rectifier to add dielectric grease. Welp, looks like I accidentally swapped the connectors on the rectifier. I had the AC coming from the switch and the DC (-) coming from the lights reversed. ����������������

2013 Ariens P24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page