LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 81
Ariens 28 Pro compared to Toro 1428

OK guys, no matter what the replies are, I am a year too late to follow suggestions BUT I am curious. Specifically to steering. My 28 Pro, not the hydro machine purchased late last season so far does well with snow. I read where Ariens moved the wheels toward the machine’s front to help their steering making it too light on the front. And yes, prior to using mine much, I noticed how it would climb when I hit snow bank.

Ariens must have noticed the wheel location change created a problem so how did they fix that? They added two holes into the augur enclosure to accommodate a new weight bar they peddle rather than improve the machine’s turning problem. I did add a 25# SS bar to the augur enclosure.......that did bother me!

I don’t really have a major bitch about Arien’s turning design other than to point out turning problems were solved decades ago by manufacturers by using a differential. And yeah, I admit even those had engineering problems’s. My old Bolens used that design making turns very very easy.

Those differentials were used by at least two manufacturers. The shortcomings I found were first, it needed shaft seals to keep water out of it. Should also have had grease zerk fittings and finally in the designer’s attempt to make it satisfy all users, the wheels could be locked together. That fix sucked by creating a weak axle that could snap. I know! Mine did.

Now back to Toro which I know zero about other than they advertise POWER STEERING! So guys, what is Toro’s power steering? And while at it, how does it compare to Ariens mediocre steering solution?

Last edited by foggysail; 12-04-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
The Toro has triggers on each handle. Pull on the trigger and that allows you to turn in that direction. Many makers offer a similar system. I'm not sure why it's called power steering? Maybe other names were taken.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #3 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
Here is a recent thread where the two are discussed:https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...uto-steer.html

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 81
Thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page