What's your typical snow moving clothing? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
What's your typical snow moving clothing?

I've been thinking over machines that have hand warmers and that got me thinking over cold weather clothing in general. So I thought I would ask what everyone else typically wears when they're out clearing their snow.

For me my base layer is t-shirt and jeans. Over this I wear ski pants and a ski jacket (both by Columbia), a beanie, ski gloves, and sneakers. This is enough for me that in temperatures above 0F I'll be sweating by the time the job is done. If temps are below 0 I'll consider upgrading to a sweatshirt depending on how far below 0 and the wind. The sneakers work just great except for those late spring storms with the super wet snow.

The sweating thing explains why hand warmers got me thinking about clothing to begin with. I have never had issues with my hands getting cold as long as I was using proper gloves and a good warm hat. But I do recognize that I live in Colorado with our low humidity and more intense sunshine, and that other climates are more challenging to stay warm in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 148
from top down:

hat (baseball cap or wool Ariens hat) and then ear/hearing protection
wool neck muffler (HUGE benefit in retaining heat)
Most of the time a sweat shirt with some sort of liner underneath
Snowmobiling jacket
typically jeans (but if it's crazy outside, I'd go to ski pants)
heavier socks
Columbia boots

Gloves/mittens: many different sets depending on my mood and how cold it is. I've even got a set of electric gloves but don't really need them with heated grips

Last edited by uberT; 12-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
Insulated underwear, jeans and a shirt, yellow rubber over the work boot pair of boots, (which btw, are much easier getting on and off by first putting a any plastic bag (Walmart or whatever .. ) over your work shoe), sweatshirt, insulated vest if need be, insulated helmet liner with collar, baseball cap, also a waterproof rain jacket with hood, good pair of waterproof mittens … I also cut an old pair of socks to wear under my mittens that protect the wrist area, … photos attached …. and btw, when storing those rubber boots, use cardboard inserts so that they do not crack between snowfalls or seasons from being forever bent.

Last edited by oneacer; 01-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #4 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I go pretty light on clothing as I work up a sweat, most of the time our temps are between 0-32 degrees.

I wear a ball cap, un-insulated heavy duty rain coat (hood down to mid-thigh), flannel shirt, Sweatpants, light insulated gloves, Sorel boots.

The rain coat helps keep me dry from any blow-back and does not allow the wind to penetrate.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
What's your typical snow moving clothing?

So these are THEE best gloves Ive ever used, 100% water proof, insulated and flexible. My hands are warm and dry after blowing and snowremoval off vehicles . Amazon has blue ones similar, I found these at a local workmen’s clothing store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jrom, detdrbuzzard thanked for this post
Likes rod330 liked this post
post #6 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 23
Same gear I wear mountain sledding including gloves minus the helmet, it’s all base layer and shell gear so can adjust as needed, I wear a hoodie with my heated goggles if the wind is working against me, and on my feet my riding boots have too stiff of a ankle support so wear my goretex hunting boots.

Honda HSM1336i
Yamaha YS-624
Honda HS720CS
post #7 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
typically jeans (but if it's crazy outside, I'd go to ski pants)
I would normally just wear the jeans, but I find the snow sticks to them like velcro. So I end up always wearing the ski pants just for the sake of keeping my jeans dry and avoiding the need to totally change clothes when I'm done.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 102
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 274
Likes (Received): 148
@parsec, yeah, no doubt about that. I do have an expectation of complete clothing change once I'm done. I'm typically soaked after being out for hours.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 68
I start with a polypro thermal underlayer top and bottom, then build on that depending on outside temp and wind chill. Outer is almost always waterproof so no wet outer layers. The build is usually jeans then the windpants on the bottom. Top gets a standard undershirt, a regular shirt, then a hooded sweatshirt. I may add a standard sweatshirt or a winter vest before the waterproof outer layer. If temp is under 20ºF, I use a mid-warmth ski jacket instead of the hooded sweatshirt, and may have a second poly underlayer on the bottom.

Keeping the head warm and dry is critical. Starts with earplugs and a ball cap, then a knit cap, and either sound muffs or BT noise-cancelling headphones if I'm away from the house. I add a balaclava in serious cold-windy-blowing snow conditions. Then the hood over everything else. The ball cap brim keeps the hood(s) from getting pulled down too low. Keep your head and core warm, and your hands and feet will be easier to keep warm.

I adjust the formula based on level of effort expected. If I'm shoveling, at least one inner layer on top comes off. Just running the machine takes less work effort than shoveling. Shoveling gets different gloves, vs double-layers (liners plus oversize gloves) for running the machine.

Good boots keep heat from migrating out the bottom, especially if you add good insoles. I wear part-wool thermal socks over silk liners, both up under the legs of the poly underlayer(s). Boots MUST be waterproof. Windpants wrap around the outside of the boots to keep snow out.

I perspire some so all the middle and inner layers, the cap and the gloves all get a dose of washing machine after each use. Things get pretty ripe after a day working outside.

Wear sunglasses or goggles, and use anti-fog on them if you wear a balaclava, else they will fog really fast especially with a mask or balaclava.

New Husqy ST227P for 2014-15 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 139
Likes (Received): 28
I wear fleece lined pants, my Sorel Winter boots I bought when in Alaska in the mid-80's, and a t-shirt and turtleneck, covered with a Carhartt jacket. I prefer mittens rather than gloves. And of course a hat, since I don't have much of that rain or snow absorbing material on my head.

Actually like the turtlenecks when working in the unheated garage in the winter, although I don't know whether many people wear them any more. BUT, I learned during my time in Fairbanks that it's better to be warm than stylish!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page