LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 25
My impeller mod

I did this during the summer.. so far I only had a chance to use it in an inch of wet snow.... Threw ten to fifteen feet.
I had a huge gap.. the impeller housing was close to thirteen inches rather than 12.. It was round though.. pretty much within a mm.
It is easier to just remove the chute assembly.. rather than try to work through a hole.
The upper chute half will need to be trimmed where I shaded in green.. the green is what has been trimmed away.
Buy some small C clamps to hold your rubber pieces in place while drilling..and doing your testing for drag.
I used a short piece of lumber to jam the impeller to the the auger shaft.. that wedged up to an auger.. it wasn't very long...few inches .If you have some scrap two by four laying around just grab a few short pieces.. one of em will be the right length.
I used the side wall from an old tire.. I used a steak knife to cut the pieces.. then a utility knife for trimming after.
I did not wedge my pieces tight. I clamped on a piece to just barely touch the housing..
I took the auger cable and pulled it up on the big plastic wing nut that locks the bars.. that was enough to release the impeller brake.. now I had easy spinning.
This is a Craftsman blower 24 inch ..The Cub Cadet Troybilt and other MTD blowers will be the same ..Just remove the chute out of the way and this job is pretty easy

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Looks good. I took the easy way out and bought the impeller kit. I have a 24" Troy-Bilt with the 179cc engine. It made a huge difference in the ability to throw the snow, even wet snow and the EOD mess.
post #3 of 38 Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsey29 View Post
Looks good. I took the easy way out and bought the impeller kit. I have a 24" Troy-Bilt with the 179cc engine. It made a huge difference in the ability to throw the snow, even wet snow and the EOD mess.
I added washers under the bolts and trimmed the inside edge of the rubber but can't find those pictures..
I had an old tire laying around so it wasnt to bad..It was kind of rough cutting though at thickest part of sidewall.
Figured by the time I found what I needed online I could already have em cut
Did you have as huge as gaps as mine did?...nine sixteenths to five eights inch gaps on mine

Last edited by Shovel; 12-08-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #4 of 38 Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Another angle.. shows what a huge difference it is by just removing the four bolts for the chute.. all kinds of room

post #5 of 38 Old 12-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 218
i got to do the same to my machine. i tried doing the impeller mod the other day but that plastic piece you trimmed destroyed the peices i used for the impeller mod. got to take it all apart just to trim that silly piece

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #6 of 38 Old 12-08-2019, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 716
Thanks (Received): 207
Likes (Given): 1331
Likes (Received): 1346
Garage
i have 2 honda hs 80's. one with kit , one without. used both today on about3-4 inchesofslush.

one without threw theslush about a foot.

one with kit threw it about 15 feet. no clogs. wellworth the time.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 38 Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
i got to do the same to my machine. i tried doing the impeller mod the other day but that plastic piece you trimmed destroyed the peices i used for the impeller mod. got to take it all apart just to trim that silly piece
Must have not been belted rubber you used..you should be worried about tearing the chute up and not the paddles...You want heavy rubber so it doesn't bend over on load..I put the thicker part of my cuts to the housing side.
Remove spark plug wire.
The easiest way is to take all chute pieces off.
Cut a paddle. clamp it where it needs to go with a small c clamp or small vice grips.
Rotate the impeller past the "big hole".
Hold the upper chute piece where it goes.. reach in and feel where it overlaps... Trim off chute with a utility knife.. I used a knife to shave off the overlapping part rather than cut it.. kind of have to cut corners though.... Shave off eight inch or so and hold it on there and see what you have.. then turn the impeller back to it with your clamped on piece and see if it clears the chute piece
Naturally we can not have the paddles jammed tight to the housing for they won't have any tension on them in the outlet area of the housing..then when it rotates to the housing and edge of chute it's going to hit it.

Since you already have holes drilled in the impeller I would do one paddle at a time and use old piece of existing paddle for template

post #8 of 38 Old 12-09-2019, 12:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
the stuff i used was strong enough to not bend much but you could just hear it hitting off the piece of plastic until pieces started coming out of the shoot. the large gap on these machines seem like they were needed to clear the silly piece of plastic you trimmed. all my pieces broke off flush with the impeller edge.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 38 Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I found an old piece from my 'trim to width'.. that a 10 mm wrench ..so I am about a half in plus thick there where it sticks over the paddle.. no way it can break.. and flex would bring the leading edge tighter to the housing.
The sidewall of the old tire got much thicker up the side wall before it got closer to the tread.
Old tire sidewall worked perfect for me... Granted all old tires won't be the same.. but one with a decent sidewall shouldnt be to hard to find

post #10 of 38 Old 12-09-2019, 12:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
i got some mudflap somewhere. i just couldn't find it when i was trying to do the mod. i have a feeling it in under the snow in the back of my truck and hopefully i should be able to find it tomorrow with all the much warmer weather we got tonight.

yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shovel liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page