LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Old Ariens

I've come into possession of this old machine.

Mod: 910995
Ser: 006312

Hasn't run for many years but was told it was running when put away. It's in pretty good shape but does need a lot of maintenance. May need a carb but gearbox appears in good shape. Frame and handles are all sturdy with only minimal rust. Tecumseh model number is under the electric starter button and has gotten a little mangled so I'm still working on that. This is the one with two levers for engagement. The auger is first engaged and then a second lever is moved to engage the belt tensioner.

I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Not sure how easy parts are going to be or if I even want to get into a restoration project right now. Looking to figure out exactly how old and rare it is. Wondering if I should restore, part it out or what. I mainly work on more modern machines for friends and neighbors but have been toying with the idea of restoration. Does anyone have any thoughts? Link to a photo of the machine below. I took the cover over the carb off but I have it and it's in decent shape.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kx5C2zRKPspzpmZXA

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2045
Likes (Received): 517
Nice machine!

Their beauty is in their simplicity.

My idea of restoring old iron in this condition is a good / deep cleaning and a WD40 wipedown; preserve that hard-earned patina!

If it were me, i'd give that engine a minor overhaul (carb cleaning/rebuild, valve job, ignition (points) cleaning / gapping / spark advance).

If it's going to be a worker, you may want to swap out those tires to something more modern (carlisle snow hogs or x-tracs) as well as add some rubber to the ends of the impeller (aka, impeller mod)...and treat it to a new belt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
post #3 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 04:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
Looks like one of my 10000 series with the separate auger lever.

I just did a restore on my 10M4 which looks identical. I had put a B&S on it years ago. I also have a 10M6 with the Predator, which actually runs better than the B&S.

Solid machines with the XTrac, and I never had the need to mod the impeller on any of my machines, as they always blow snow just fine.

Last edited by oneacer; 01-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 88-tek liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks onceacer That looks like the same machine.

Thank you also classicatt. Never thought of it that way but I like the patina idea.

Since it's Saturday, I decided to dive into it straight away. I've attached a link to a picture of the model number. Is there enough here to work with? I'm having trouble with the first bit.

Looks like H70-130216D Ser-6307D

Would you agree?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aQn8hPwk9p5TX4ZZA
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #5 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
All parts readily available.
Easy to rebuild & restore.
Just have to have proper usage training for safe operation. No two hand safety on these tanks.
There's a reason why these 50+ year old machines are still around.......

Keep us posted on your progress.......

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 28" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #6 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 73
The old 10,000 series Sno-Thro machines are awesome! I have three of them and looking for more. Most all of the parts are still available. Carburetor cleaning is easy too. The only thing I haven't been able to do is remove the brass emulsion tube inside the Tecumseh carburetor.

I have chains on all of my Ariens 10,000 series machines.

Their orange and white color scheme reminds me of a Creamsicle.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
My 10000 series all have the XTrac, smooth as butter, and goes through anything Ö and they look great as well Ö

Last edited by oneacer; 01-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Not sure if it's appropriate to transition into a service/repair question on this particular forum category, but I had a question.

Normally, I would never reuse a head gasket but when I took this thing apart, I was amazed at how beefy this thing was. I've never seen anything like it. This thing is like a big hunk of metal. Came off in one peice and it's a beast. I don't think I would be able to find one like it again. I have no problem replacing it. Should I reuse this thing or just replace it?

Thanks.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Totally up to you … if it does not work, you know what you'll be doing again.

Just make sure to keep with any sequence and torque.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2045
Likes (Received): 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Not sure if it's appropriate to transition into a service/repair question on this particular forum category, but I had a question.

Normally, I would never reuse a head gasket but when I took this thing apart, I was amazed at how beefy this thing was. I've never seen anything like it. This thing is like a big hunk of metal. Came off in one peice and it's a beast. I don't think I would be able to find one like it again. I have no problem replacing it. Should I reuse this thing or just replace it?

Thanks.
You’re exactly right, metal replacements with a fire ring can be tough to come buy. Believe it or not, I’ve had better luck with aftermarket Stens...at least w k series Kohler. New OEM Briggs and Kohler are that flimsy junk.

I usually put on new but don’t throw out the old ones and they’ve saved me in a pinch... just clean off the muck with some throttle body cleaner, spray them with permatex head gasket spray and put it back on. They usually have good compression if the head was properly dressed.

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page