Ariens 1336PRO blows (actually it doesn't) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
Ariens 1336PRO blows (actually it doesn't)

Anyone else have a 1336PRO that seems mostly useless?
Model 924506
SN 003178
Probably a 2002-2004 machine if I had to guess.

I found a rant buy a guy called NHMatt on another forum about what an epic POS this machine.
https://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discu...22089-1-1.html
Lots of useful information on the first few posts, then as most threads with hundreds of replies, it spirals into idiocy. Thread ended in 2007 or so.

Yesterday this thread prompted me to join here.
I bought a 1336PRO on craigslist from a mechanic last year hoping to clear large driveways faster and really just hammer out small driveways in 10 minutes or less. This is NOT the case.
Motor runs great, drives great, but doesn't blow worth a crap.

I have a 926LE which is an absolute workhorse. The 926 blows 30-50 ft and can take down nearly anything from 1 inch to 24 inches and nearly anything at the end of a driveway.
Has impeller kit installed.
This thing will blow water.
It is beyond incredible.
It is stupid fast.
It seems to blow even harder when the bucket is full and nearly to the point of bogging down.
Great power to weight ratio.

If you're familiar with these 1336PRO machines or own one or have done any mods to make it work better I'd be excited to hear what you've done. Anyone with the 1336DLE or 1336LE have any of the same issues?
I HAVE installed an impeller kit, new skids.
But it seems to drive too fast for anything other than an 1-3 inches of fluffy snow.
Then the bucket fills up and needs to stop to finish unloading.
In heavier or denser snow, it rides up on top and won't dig in.
I'm thinking 13HP should be enough to move some snow but have been seriously disappointed.

We had back-to-back 10 inch storms last week here in NH.
Snow was reasonably wet/ heavy
Example-
Day 1- 1336PRO took 50 minutes on 1 driveway. Worked so bad and couldn't cut through plow berm I had to shovel 3 ft the berm to "break-through", then go side-side up her driveway, then up/ down the hill because 1336PRO couldn't climb hill and blow at the same time.
Day 2- 926LE same customer, less than 30 minutes, up, down, rinse, repeat. Done.

I'm looking at changing either drive pulley or driven impeller pulley to make it spin faster and hopefully empty the bucket without losing torque or other performance characteristics.
I was looking at some online engineering pulley calculators yesterday and think I have about 75% of a plan formulated.
Anyone know if these were only made for light duty sidewalk/ mall cleanups or can they be used for any residential/ commercial use with some significant accumulation?
I'm going to by a meter to measure speeds of shafts on each machine shortly - wondering if there is any difference or significant difference with auger/ impeller speeds from the 926 vs 1336.

I'll try to get some video tomorrow.

Or should it "fall off the truck"?
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_162530.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	161083  

Self employed, snow blowing contracting service in southern NH
Ariens 926LE
Ariens 1336PRO
2013 F150 XLT
Lots of big green farm thingys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
I am not familiar with the 924 series, but many experienced users on here think the 924 is very capable. Sounds like the engine is not putting out full power, perhaps due to not operating at its recommended rpm. I have the laser rpm tool that needs a white reflective strip against a dark background to give rotational speeds for engine, impeller and auger. You probably have a Tecumseh engine which is usually spec'd at 3,600 but there is an allowance of +100 rpm. I had my 11 hp set for over 3,800 rpm and turned it down to 3,700 when I gave it to my son, so just over 15 years operating over 3,600 rpm and no problems.

I think the impeller is around 12" diameter while the 926 is usually 14" diameter. That will make a difference.

If the engine is not up to power, for whatever reason, then increasing the engine impeller pulley diameter is not going to improve performance. I have a 3.25" engine impeller pulley (instead of stock 2.75") and a 8.5" impeller pulley and it needs a good engine to drive it at 1447 rpm in EOD. Works great but if engine is weak then forget that approach.

There could be other issues in the auger/impeller drive train such as a worn/loose belt, bearings or bushings worn out or gearbox creating excess drag. Probably need to check all parts of your 924 to be sure.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 184
As old as it is it probably needs a new rubber drive wheel, new belts, bigger fuel jets and snow chains for the tires and an impeller kit.
Are you using premium fuel and seafoam?
Do you use the Fluid Film Aerosol spray to slick up everything that contacts snow?
Don't buy the snow off crap the dealers sell as its very, very, toxic.
Fluid film is made from the lanolin of sheeps wool and it will double your casting distance as long as you move slowly or take half cuts.

Please double check the shear pins on the cross augers as something does not look right judging from your images. as the cross auger halves need to be in synchronous orbit to push the snow to the center.

No need to sacrifice it to the highway gods just yet.
post #4 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Please double check the shear pins on the cross augers as something does not look right judging from your images. as the cross auger halves need to be in synchronous orbit to push the snow to the center.

I don't understand your comment. All 3 machines seem to have the augers setup correctly to move snow to the center when driven from top forward toward the ground. The augers are usually set 90 or so degrees apart and that cannot be changed because there is a left and right auger and the holes are set accordingly.

Perhaps I have missed something?

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 12:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
I have a 1332 and the thing work pretty well. With that being said I always see and handful of those 1336's and some of those Troy Bilt 45" monstrosity's for sale and always wonder what the scope is with them. One thing to note is mine was traveling too fast as well when i first got it. I also didnt even notice at first the the machien would jump from 1st into 2nd and then 3rd. I fixed these issues by first: tightening the spring tension nut on the gear selector to provide more spring tension(kept the gear selector in the detent better), and also adjusted the "throw" on the gear select lever so it doesnt move as far in on the friction drive when you put it in first. Now I have a rock solid super slow first gear, which is much needed in the super thick heavy snow. Hope maybe that helps, kinda disappointed to hear about your results with that 36, hope it works out
post #6 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
I had the same maching in the 32 inch size same motor only thing different was the cast iron gar box and battery start also has the highly touted 6 blde impeller best machine on the market at the time along with honda32 and yamaha 32
that machine blows snow 50 feet when its working right mine was close to 60 feet with imp kit and motor set to 3800 rpm hardly a pos
fix the machine its 3 times the blower when compared to 926 as i told you in another thread
you bought it from a mechanic clearyl he doesnt know what he is doing blame the owner not the machine

here is a couple years older 1336 with imp kit same engine as yours same 6 blade impeller you have better controls my 1332 threw almost this well

Last edited by 1132le; 12-16-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
As old as it is it probably needs a new rubber drive wheel, new belts, bigger fuel jets and snow chains for the tires and an impeller kit.
Are you using premium fuel and seafoam?
Do you use the Fluid Film Aerosol spray to slick up everything that contacts snow?
Don't buy the snow off crap the dealers sell as its very, very, toxic.
Fluid film is made from the lanolin of sheeps wool and it will double your casting distance as long as you move slowly or take half cuts.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, has a good friction disk - I could even argue that it is geared too high even in 1st gear. I never use 2nd.
Impeller drive belt was new earlier in 2019 but I'll re-check for tightness.
Don't really need chains - has the larger flotation tires. Never been a traction problem - just can't clear the bucket.

I'll check/ review/ synchronize the augers - that never crossed my mind and this was a photo from last year so not current.
I just broke some shear bolts recently so that may be a contributing factor so I'll get this verified tonight.

Yes, I'm a big fan of fluid film - but since I take these from job-job around town, i pretty much spray down the whole machine. Especially under the dash board to keep all the springs, levers, joints, etc lubed up.
For all the guys who do just your own driveway you will likely get limited or no salt exposure- my machines are in the truck so they get road spray on them while driving.

I haven't drank the Sea-Foam kool-aid yet, but only use 93 octane or Super grade gas and STABIL.
Engine runs good, but I need to get a laser tach or I'll get an electronic tach/ hourmeter online.

I don't really have a problem with fuel going bad like many other people.
I use 4-6 gallons/ storm, fresh gas every time!!

Ariens 926LE
Ariens 1336PRO
2013 F150 XLT
post #8 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I have a 3.25" engine impeller pulley (instead of stock 2.75") and a 8.5" impeller pulley and it needs a good engine to drive it at 1447 rpm in EOD. Works great but if engine is weak then forget that approach.

Good luck.
BTW- was the 3.25 pulley stock on your machine?
Aftermarket? or custom from a machine shop?

This machine is 2.5 drive pulley
8.75 driven impeller pulley
(As best as I can measure with a string when I broke it in half for measurements yesterday.)
May be 2.5 and 8.5 though.

Ariens 926LE
Ariens 1336PRO
2013 F150 XLT
post #9 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLHoldingsLLC View Post
BTW- was the 3.25 pulley stock on your machine?
Aftermarket? or custom from a machine shop?

This machine is 2.5 drive pulley
8.75 driven impeller pulley
(As best as I can measure with a string when I broke it in half for measurements yesterday.)
May be 2.5 and 8.5 though.

The machine comes with a 2.75 pulley
adjust the speed to be slower its pretty easy its not geared to high at all
post #10 of 42 Old 12-16-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Karahalios View Post
I have a 1332 and the thing work pretty well. With that being said I always see and handful of those 1336's and some of those Troy Bilt 45" monstrosity's for sale and always wonder what the scope is with them. One thing to note is mine was traveling too fast as well when i first got it. I also didnt even notice at first the the machien would jump from 1st into 2nd and then 3rd. I fixed these issues by first: tightening the spring tension nut on the gear selector to provide more spring tension(kept the gear selector in the detent better), and also adjusted the "throw" on the gear select lever so it doesnt move as far in on the friction drive when you put it in first. Now I have a rock solid super slow first gear, which is much needed in the super thick heavy snow. Hope maybe that helps, kinda disappointed to hear about your results with that 36, hope it works out
Thanks Nick
I've pondered adjusting the throw of the gear lever - just was more concerned with the snow throwing issue.
I've done this on my belt-drive commercial mower so I get your idea.
I just don't want to make a "half-cut" pass or have to come back.
My 926LE gets nearly everything in front of it with just 2 inches of overlap
Half pass with a 1336 machine would be slower than just using the 926. Ugh.

Ariens 926LE
Ariens 1336PRO
2013 F150 XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page