Going back to a shovel since everything seems to be junk now. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Going back to a shovel since everything seems to be junk now.

My great Troy-Bilt snow blower suffered a catastrophic failure about two weeks ago and new parts to fix it are not available. I am willing to shell out the big bucks for a pro model snow blower, but I just can't part with $2,300 when I read about how badly even the pro models have been cheapened. I am just going to have to shovel or plain just drive over the snow.

I might just have to save up until next winter and spend the $7,000 on a BCS two wheel tractor with the two stage blower. The blower bucket is built with 3/8" plate!
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt, Ariensboy thanked for this post
Likes eyebolt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 150
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
You can get a good blower for wayyyy below 2300.00 …. just sayin …
post #3 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1679
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader2580 View Post
My great Troy-Bilt snow blower suffered a catastrophic failure about two weeks ago and new parts to fix it are not available. I am willing to shell out the big bucks for a pro model snow blower, but I just can't part with $2,300 when I read about how badly even the pro models have been cheapened. I am just going to have to shovel or plain just drive over the snow.

I might just have to save up until next winter and spend the $7,000 on a BCS two wheel tractor with the two stage blower. The blower bucket is built with 3/8" plate!
you can find a great used Ariens , Honda , Toro et al in the offseason for a lot less. This has been discussed here 2,356 times.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes uberT, Sgthawker liked this post
post #4 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 424
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
Even the new shovels arent built like they used to be!

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 15 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #5 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader2580 View Post
My great Troy-Bilt snow blower suffered a catastrophic failure about two weeks ago and new parts to fix it are not available.
If the catastrophic failure was in the engine department, it's probably easily remedied with a new engine like a Harbor Freight Predator https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...e-engines.html or an LCT AX Snow Engine. https://lctusa.com/types/winter-engines/

Last edited by tabora; 12-21-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
you can find a great used Ariens , Honda , Toro et al in the offseason for a lot less. This has been discussed here 2,356 times.
I don't want to buy used and get someone else's problems. I'm already pretty much a part time small engine mechanic fixing my two riding mowers. I don't want to become a full time small engine mechanic in addition to my regular full time job. I have been working on one riding mower since last spring and still not working. I fix one thing and then find another problem. I went to change the deck height and found the rear caster forks were rusted in place as previous owner hadn't greased. All said and done it was over a month and $400 in parts. Now, one of the hydraulic lift cylinders is bad and requires taking the entire mower apart to get to.

Sure, the off season is generally the best time to buy anything used for price, but it also means less selection. Only the desperate sell a lawn mower right now as nobody will need one for four or five months. The market will be flooded with used mowers come about April 1st as everyone knows a sale will be much faster and probably for money at that time. I could wait until next summer to buy a used unit, but then I have no way to test and it doesn't help me clear my driveway this winter.

The more I read the more I find out about how bad the quality is on new units, even the pro units. I just read a seven page thread from 2016 about Ariens quality issues. The one poster talked about replacing or repairing many new LCT engines due to manufacturing issues. Another poster said a plastic part broke which then wrecked the auger belt on a reasonably new Ariens. I think I could count the plastic parts (Outside of controls and engine) on my Troy-Bilt on one hand.
post #7 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 175
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 465
Likes (Received): 1044
Going back to a shovel since everything seems to be junk now.

How many blowers have you tried or read about that you can make such a broad statement? Can you also prove that statement? There are many good blowers out there for way less than you stated. WAY less.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #8 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
If the catastrophic failure was in the engine department, it's probably easily remedied with a new engine like a Harbor Freight Predator https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...e-engines.html or an LCT AX Snow Engine. https://lctusa.com/types/winter-engines/
The engine is about the best part of my Troy-Bilt. One of the auger supports broke which caused the auger to move around enough that the impeller shaft snapped off inside the gear case. Neither the entire gear case or just the input shaft are available to purchase that I can find. I even called a place that has a warehouse full of obsolete parts. I was able to get a different obsolete Troy-Bilt part from them recently.
post #9 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 398
Likes (Given): 183
Likes (Received): 931
I paid $250 for my 1971 Ariens a decade ago.

the only "trouble" I have had with it was carb adjustments the first couple years..
but the main problem was me, because I didnt know how to adjust a carb yet.
(It was running rough at times..but it was always running)
Once I learned about carbs, and dialed it in, its given no trouble at all..
No parts needed, no breaking down, it has never actually failed me.

Every October I do an annual oil change, old gas drain and replace, lube, grease and inspection, and always use ethanol-free gas with Seafoam..that's all it needs..

50 years old, and 10 years with me, still going strong.. no issues, and no plans to replace it.
So yeah.. $250 for a decade's worth of reliable service, and still going.
I dont know why we are talking about $2,700.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-23-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #10 of 122 Old 12-21-2019, 01:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 150
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
I got this machine given to me years ago, and put a new engine on it and used it for many years .. finally got around to a complete ground up restore because I wanted it looking as well as it runs …

My point being, I am a fan of the older well made machines, and if a person can turn a wrench, they can have a machine in pristine condition, for really cheap, to last you another 50 years.

Last edited by oneacer; 01-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dauntae, detdrbuzzard, classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page