LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-27-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Should I upgrade? To Honda HSS

Hi all, I’m new to the forum. My question is, I have a Honda HS1332 it was the last year before the HSS came out. It is in great shape and has never let me down. Quality is top notch. In has the 110 electric start. Thinking of getting the Hss1332. I do a ton of 180 degree turns, and change my auger hight a lot. The HSS seems to have some great features. But more “parts” that seem like could have problems. Plus I read a few posts about the Japanese HS being higher quality. Want to get all you guys opinions on what you think, will I be upgrading or downgrading or moving sideways? In-depth opinions greatly appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 12:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 266
The HSS has the steering release to unlock a wheel to make it turn easier and to "Free-Wheel" it if it has to be pushed. The HS has the better stronger proven transmission/drive-train. So there is less things to break with the older set-up.
The HSS had the clogging issues, the HS didn't.
There are people who like the HSS and people who traded up to the HSS and wish they kept their HS instead because of it working better with less "Bugs" in it. Some people sold their HSS and bought an older used HS because they liked it better and it worked better for them and never had any problems with the older HS, they felt the older HS was "Bullet-proof" for what they needed it for.
You have to remember, with all the fancy "Bells and Whistles" on the new models, there is more that can go wrong with them. People had problems with the electric turning chutes, where they did not have any problems with the manual turning chutes, they could always turn them by cranking the turn lever, if the electric chute failed to turn, they were stuck, and the manual chute turned faster than the electric one did.
So less parts to go bad on an older HS model which means less money to maintain the machine if something goes wrong with it.
There are a lot of older HS machines still out there running fine and those people wont get rid of them because they have been so reliable for them. You almost have to think, the HS models were built better than the HSS models by the lack of problems people had with them, whether it be a minor problem or a major one, and major problems are very rare on any of them.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #3 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
Phew, as a snow blower aficionado, tough one.

Are not all 32 inch tracked machines? What part of the world and what clearance area type etc.

First it sounds like money is not an impediment. If it is, stick with what you got if its working.

That said, while I operated a lot of blowers over the years (Toro, JD, Honda, MTD, Sears and probably a few more, I was lucky that the machine I got new was the right machine for me and its still pretty much all I need (yea I lust after the trigger controls but mine swings easy enough etc)

So that would be the area to focus on, is it enough of a problem and an upgrade to make it worth the exchange.

Not a loss as you can sell the Honda for a good sum (I would guess 60-70%) of what you paid for it.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)

Last edited by RC20; 12-28-2019 at 11:25 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 06:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 428
Likes (Received): 171
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh View Post
Hi all, I’m new to the forum. My question is, I have a Honda HS1332 it was the last year before the HSS came out. It is in great shape and has never let me down. Quality is top notch. In has the 110 electric start. Thinking of getting the Hss1332. I do a ton of 180 degree turns, and change my auger hight a lot. The HSS seems to have some great features. But more “parts” that seem like could have problems. Plus I read a few posts about the Japanese HS being higher quality. Want to get all you guys opinions on what you think, will I be upgrading or downgrading or moving sideways? In-depth opinions greatly appreciated, thanks

If the 180 degrees turns are bothering you, then go for the HSS.
Personally I have a tracked machine similar to yours and do a lot of 180 degrees turns but think it works fine without any easy turn function.

Dag

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 06:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 57
Garage
First post needs a hearty welcome....Hearty welcome from Central Penna.

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #6 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the welcome! I live in central Idaho. At over 5000ft, it snows here a lot. My blower lives outside under cover. Will this be a problem having a HSS. Will I have frozen chute control issues? I have a circle drive that is 200ft long 15 ft wide with 4000sqft parking area. A 1000sqft uncovered deck 150 ft of uneven path ways. I feel that my auger hight adjustment on my hs sometimes difficult to use (won’t engage sometimes and pops back I setting?) is the hss auger hight adjustment a pleasure to use?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 33
The HSS is the way to go...All new technology goes through a period of modifications, things get tweaked on and improved. The more recent production versions incorporate the improvements. The HSS model produced now in 2020, is probably the easiest to operate snowblower ever produced. I went out the other day and moved my HSS928AAT (tracked) from the cold garage to the heated shop without starting the cold soaked engine. After lifting the augers up, You pull the two clutch releases and push or pull the machine where you want to go. When you are operating the blower and want to turn you pull one of the steering clutches and the other track turns the machine for you...There is no more man-handling the machine around. You don’t feel like you’ve been through a wrestling match when you get done working with the HSS...

Yamaha tracked 624
Honda tracked 928
Honda Foreman 60” plow
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #8 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I live in central Idaho. At over 5000ft, it snows here a lot. My blower lives outside under cover. Will this be a problem having a HSS. Will I have frozen chute control issues? I have a circle drive that is 200ft long 15 ft wide with 4000sqft parking area. A 1000sqft uncovered deck 150 ft of uneven path ways. I feel that my auger hight adjustment on my hs sometimes difficult to use (won’t engage sometimes and pops back I setting?) is the hss auger hight adjustment a pleasure to use?
Yes, you push a release lever with your right thumb and set the level. You are assisted in this with a pneumatic shock and the balance point is center tracks. In other words it is almost effortless to raise or lower the augers.

Yamaha tracked 624
Honda tracked 928
Honda Foreman 60” plow
post #9 of 9 Old 12-28-2019, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
Quote:

You definitely are justified the machine and I am thinking all the help you can get with maneuvering, that is a **** of a lot of clearing and turning. You will get a good price for your current machine. Start at 80% new and see what rolls in. Middle of winter a slam dunk, dealers are low or out.

You will have frozen chute issues if its outside. Usually with mine its the fine powder stuff that gets under the turret as it were and melts.

I use a Teflon lube and try to hit it before winter (sometimes fail)
Its an issue even under cover as mine is in a shed.

Worst case get one of those two panel infrared heaters and thaw and dry it out and lube it.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page