Newbie Buying Used Simplicity P1732 vs Honda HS 1132 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Newbie Buying Used Simplicity P1732 vs Honda HS 1132

Been lurking here for a while and decided to go with either a Honda or Simplicity pro blower. I found two on Craiglist that are 1K. Both appear to be in great condition. It's down to the Simplicity P1732E vs Honda HS1132. My driveway is not particularly steep but I have a large sidewalk as I live on a corner. I don't like tinkering and just looking for a machine that is reliable with little maintenance demands. Both of these machines look like beasts that are stronger than what I need but hey...love the power... What do you all recommend?

Thank you very much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2019, 12:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 144
Likes (Received): 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoWut View Post
It's down to the Simplicity P1732E vs Honda HS1132.
That Simplicity with the 342cc Briggs looks comparable to the Honda, but note that it is a friction disc machine. It does have Easy Turn steering, electric chute control and heated grips, though.

Honda didn't add steering triggers and the electric chute until the HSS series in 2015, and still no factory heated grips. The Honda HS1132 is a hydrostatic drive with tracks which is a plus, but also only the GX340 engine. It's also likely older than the Simplicity?

They both may be a little low on the power end for a 32"; Honda increased the engine size on the 32" to the GX390 back in 2011 and Simplicity went to a 420cc with their current offering.

Last edited by tabora; 12-30-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SnoWut thanked for this post
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #3 of 5 Old 12-30-2019, 03:15 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabora View Post
They both may be a little low on the power end for a 32"; Honda increased the engine size on the 32" to the GX390 back in 2011 and Simplicity went to a 420cc with their current offering.

Not sure about the simplicity machine but I can tell you from first hand experience that the HS1132 is no joke, with the proper jet from factory unlike the 1332 the 10s of 1132s that I have used over the years have never come across a mound of snow that they didnt like. Never have I ever wished that there were an extra couple of horses to help the machine.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 5 Old 12-30-2019, 03:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
Welcome to the forum! The Honda will likely hold its value better, if that's a consideration. Around here, an HS1132 for $1k would be quite a good price. I'm seeing $1300-1600 at the moment.

The hydrostatic transmission in the Honda is nice, the speed is infinitely variable, down to a crawl. It's more complex than the friction disk system in the Simplicity, though.

Triggers steering on the Simplicity is a nice feature, looks like it unlocks one wheel, for easier turning. The Simplicity uses electric chute rotation. I'm not really crazy about that, even on Honda's current HSS machines. Extra stuff to break/freeze, on an important control. A friend has a similar Simplicity, he's had to replace the chute motor once already.

orangputeh, here on the forum, has tons of Honda experience, maybe he'll weigh in. Personally, I'd lean towards the Honda.

In either case, this video is worth a watch:

Good luck!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 73
The Simplicity Signature Pro is alleged to be a killer machine. Not sure if that's what you're looking at. I've never seen one up close but just looking at those steel handlebars gives one a clue as to its build quality.

The Honda HS1132 is another killer machine. I know from personal experience that it will launch snow waaay out there (like 50+ feet). It can send snow waaay up high also and you can paste the tree trunks 10 feet up. Fun to watch I used one throughout the winter-from-h*ll 2014 - 2015 on Massachusetts South Shore and it kicked ass.

It's easy to start up using the rope even though it has electric start. It's great on gas too. The tracks will take some getting used to. You'll definitely want to install the commercial skid shoes on the bucket-ends because its two rear-mounted skis can allow the machine to rock and roll when there is not a lot of ice layer base.

The Honda also has unstoppable forward propulsion and will climb up stairs and bulldoze through a snow pile left by the town's snow plow. With hydraulic drive, you can rock the shift lever back and forth to go forward and reverse without stopping in between. This is useful when taking down a pile of snow that's higher than its handlebars. Some say the hand grip elevation is too low but that doesn't bother me (5'4").

It's somewhat difficult to move around with engine off; even when you disengage the hydraulic pump. This is easily overcome by getting a cheap furniture dolly. Drive the machine up onto the dolly, shut it off then roll the dolly across the garage floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page