Added LED headlight to Toro single-stage, 3D printed mount - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 176
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 481
Likes (Received): 850
Added LED headlight to Toro single-stage, 3D printed mount

Last spring I got a Toro single-stage 221QR, which has been a nice addition to the snow-removal equipment. But I found myself missing the headlight on my 2-stage. I have to use a headlamp if I want a light source (no street light near us, and the motion-activated driveway light is not very sensitive, even when new).

I got a 3D printer a few months ago (Creality Ender 3 Pro, ~$220), so figured this was an opportunity to take advantage of it.

I have a few of the free Harbor Freight LED lights on the front of my tractor, to help supplement the weak factory headlights. So I figured I'd mount one of those.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra-...ght-64005.html

I designed and printed a mount to clamp around the lower horizontal bar on the blower. The light is attached to it using double-sided foam tape. The same tape has kept the lights on my tractor for probably 4+ seasons. The screws are longer than needed, but they are what I had available.

I printed the mount in PETG, which is supposed to be stronger than the more-common PLA material that I typically print with. I think I made it a lot beefier than it needs to be, but oh well.

After mounting it, I realized that bar is low enough that the top of the machine's shroud blocks some of the light, unfortunately. I may redesign it to attach to one of the vertical bars that go up towards the handles. That would let me mount the light higher, so it clears the shroud. But even at present, it adds some light for the user, and it helps cars see me.

It cost about $1 in printer material, so kind of a fun little project, with a helpful benefit. Being able to make custom, 1-off items for yourself is pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	161915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight 2.jpg
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	161917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	161919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	161921  

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 24
I hope you have 3 rechargeable AAA batteries... :-)

I find those flashlights a little annoying in that each press of the on/off switch goes between the side LEDs and then the main LEDs. The price is right, though.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 276
Thanks (Received): 331
Likes (Given): 3363
Likes (Received): 683
I admire the creativity Red. I took the easy route and used my three LED bicycle light which throws a nice beam ahead of the blower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0873.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	161923   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0876.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	161925  

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 176
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 481
Likes (Received): 850
Heh, thanks, I have a good supply of AAAs, rechargeable and alkaline, so I'm ready to feed it. I probably should have thought to put better batteries in it before mounting it, oh well.

Yeah, the switches on them are a little annoying, but oh well. Like you said, it's tough to argue with the price.

Grunt, your setup probably works better, but where's the fun in doing it the smart way? Something with a more-focused beam (like yours) would probably work better than my broad light. Did your mount already have the ability to turn the light to the side (so that, in your case, it can point down towards the ground), vs just pivoting around the axis of the handlebar?

I've seen people mount lights at the front of the bucket on a 2-stage, that's probably a better spot (the chute won't block the light).

But with this having a plastic housing, I'm not sure there's a great way to mount up front, in this case. I could use the foam tape to mount the lights to the plastic housing, I guess. I don't want to go drilling holes in the plastic. I'll most likely stick to using the handlebars as mounting points.

Yours is a nice setup, and a good idea. I do have an LED headlight for my bike around somewhere. Perhaps that could be used, or at least adapted to attach.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 12-31-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Now I have a new toy to dream about and an excuse to justify it

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page