What’s your comical snow blowing experience? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-31-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 42
What’s your comical snow blowing experience?

Have any of you had a real goof when it came to moving snow? Perhaps you witnessed a neighbor in an epic struggle?

I couldn’t help but laugh when reading this example from the Family Handyman:

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Huntergreen liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-31-2019, 12:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 45
I fix and sell snowblowers, and last year towards the end of the season I had sold the blowers I had fixed throughout the season. I had these 2 machines that I hadn't touched yet, they were rusty and the gears didn't move well, the motors ran terrible... and we got not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 storms in like 2 weeks. I was trying to clear the driveway with one of those blowers and it kept stalling under load, it only went forward at high speed.. I take the other out and both shear pins are missing which I didn't catch at first so I'm just basically plowing the snow into bigger more unmanageable piles.. Neighbors are out watching me and I'm out there struggling with these 2 junk machines lol.. I dunno, I thought it was funny considering all the really nice ones I had sold throughout the season and here I am stuck with the worst ones that I haven't even looked at yet. So now I make sure I at least have one good machine ready to go even if its 60 degrees in april.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-31-2019, 01:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 276
Thanks (Received): 331
Likes (Given): 3366
Likes (Received): 683
I seen this video when it first came out and I think it is worthy of another viewing. The chute broke and he tries to use a shovel as a deflector.

Type snow blower fails in youtube for more comical video's.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 01:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 5
I set up Ma with a nice Honda HS928 track machine for her business. Neighbor guy did the blowing for her using this machine to do his and her properties. He managed to get an extension cord wrapped around the auger so he stopped and tipped it back, cut out the cord and figured he was back in business. pulled teh rope it popped and started on fire. What he did not realize was that tipping rearward had caused gas to run out of the carb and into the air box. Thankfully he got it put out with minimal damage.

More stupid than funny I guess. More funny had it been his machine I guess...
post #5 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 40
First use of my Gravely 566 and dog eater snow blower I picked up a corn husk long handle broom.

It successfully discharged the whole handle in pieces but the broom head became stuck in the discharge chute as it exited.
Sheared a almost unobtainable shaft/coupler.

Happy New Year!

Red
post #6 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
I had this elderly neighbor who was a nice guy but he had no filter and would randomly blurt out things that would seem offensive if you didn't know him.

During one of the first snowstorms after I moved in, I was in front of my mailbox with my Ariens 10000 series snowblower to make it easier for the mail truck. He came over and said, "You know... when I had one of those things, it was more work to keep it running than not."

He walked away like he had just dropped the mic.

We had about 10" of snow not too long after that and what did I see? His elderly wife trying to make a path with their dinky Honda single stage snowblower to her mailbox. I shooed her away and told her I'd take care of the driveway. Which snowblower did I use? Of course, I used the same one that he commented on.

He came out with a sheepish look after I was done, and then we shook hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1683
Garage
wish i could think of something funny.

I did have a neighbor come over and say I was throwing snow into his driveway with my 1132 . it was about 70 feet away. first time i had used it . we both laughed since he has an old MTD that doesn't work that well.

I go over and do their berm when they are not home.

he comes over to thank me and I say " I don't know what you are talking about."

I'm the guy that has nothing else to do and blows neighbors' drives and berms , and hydrants and anything else I can find to snowblow.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RedOctobyr thanked for this post
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 482
Likes (Received): 851
Good stories I wish I had something great to share.

The best I can think of is when using my first snowblower (a ~30-year-old Simplicity, >15 years ago). And looking for pieces of the augers-drive chain in the dark, on the snow, after the chain's master link separated and it fell off (again) while blowing. That machine went through some growing pains as I sorted out some of the biggest mechanical issues it had when I bought it. More frustrating, I suppose, but funny in hindsight

I've been fortunate enough to avoid horror stories of sucking in stuff hidden under the snow.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 345
My funniest (at least it is now) was from a couple of years ago. I'd sold a machine to a guy about 3 or so years ago, then the following year he called up, said it wouldn't start and wanted his money back. I decided I would be a nice guy and tossed some tools in the truck and went over to his place. Imagine my surprise when I figured out why it wouldn't start, the idiot had run into it with his SUV and smashed the handlebars and flywheel cover. My warranty statement was I would insure it ran for the first year (which was already passed) as long as it was in 'as delivered' condition, which this one obviously wasn't. I did buy it back but no where near what he had paid for it, got the handlebars and flywheel cover off a parts machine and sold it again (obviously going through it again to insure everything was right with it).

Last edited by HCBPH; 01-02-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr, johnwick liked this post
post #10 of 19 Old 01-02-2020, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 48
Garage
Not too many years ago, I was a wee lad in my mid teens living at home. My first ever use of a snowblower was my Dad's late 80's classic Toro CCR 3000 W/electric start. Nice little machine, and with a single car wide, 2 1/2 car length driveway w/ gentle slope, it was fairly easy blowing it.

Well, one dark, late December evening we had maybe 3-5 inches of snow. Dad wasn't home then so I ventured out to start blowing. As I was merrily chugging along, I went to clean up the edge of the driveway near the house, when I caught the end of a holiday lights extension cord and proceeded to completely wrap it all the way around the paddle augers...

Ever caught something in your vacuum cleaner, and it makes noise?...This was 10x worse....

EEEERRROOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!! I quickly shut it down, and spent about an hour undoing the cord, pulling off the side panel and checking the auger belt. Everything checked out OK and I finished blowing, silently berating myself for being stupid. ( I knew it was there, I should have remembered...blah..blah..)

Later, Dad arrived home and I sheepishly told him what happened, and he asked if I was OK, and if the blower was OK. After I said Yes twice, he let out a big hearty belly laugh.

At the time, I didn't think it was funny, but now, as time has passed by, I think back after telling this story to friends, and retelling it to Dad, I realized that yes, it was D**N funny!!

Ahh...memories...ROFL!!!

HEY LASERLIPS, YOUR MAMA WAS A SNOWBLOWER!!!

2017 Sno-Tek
1995 Chevy K1500
1990 John Deere Hydro 175

Last edited by 88-tek; 01-03-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes RedOctobyr, johnwick liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page