post #1 of 24 Old 01-01-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Speed problem

Hello,
I have a Noma 27Ē 8 HP snow thrower. When I put it in reverse I canít just put it back into first gear because it will stay in reverse. I have to put it in gear 3 or 4 to go forward again. Than I can put it in first or second gear. Any ideas why?
Thank you,
Earl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 138
Thanks (Received): 304
Likes (Given): 401
Likes (Received): 723
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have some slop or play in the speed-control mechanism, and/or it needs to be adjusted.

It's almost certainly a friction disk drive. You change speeds by moving the position of a rubber wheel over a spinning friction disk. Position the rubber wheel to one side of the friction disk, and you go forward. Move it further towards the edge of the disk, and you go faster. Position it over the other side of the disk, and you go backwards.

It sounds like you have enough play in the system, or it's sufficiently out-of-adjustment, that going to Forward 1, from Reverse, puts the rubber wheel basically over the center of the friction disk. So nothing really happens (other than kind of grinding a flat spot on the rubber wheel). When you go to Forward 3, then back to Forward 1, you've taken up enough backlash in the system than the rubber wheel ends up in the proper location.

You could tip the machine on its nose, and remove the bottom cover, to take a better look.

Or, as at least a short-term fix, you could adjust the speed-control mechanism to bias things more towards the forward direction. If forward 4, as an example, pulls on a linkage more than forward 1 does, then adjust it so you've pulled the linkage a little more than it does now.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 24 Old 01-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 95
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 436
Garage
Cable or rod adjustment. Follow RedOctobyr.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 24 Old 01-01-2020, 11:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 54
You want to be careful on just "
Quote:
tipping it on its nose.
Fluids tend to pour out, often gas from the carburetor and fuel tank and possibly engine oil.

You may need to drain the fuel tank and carb and possibly the engine oil drained.

Its possible to hydro a cylinder if left that way too long with oil leaking around the rings.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #5 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 07:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Agreed, follow your owner's manual's procedure for tipping the machine forward onto its nose.

On mine, I close the fuel shutoff, so gas won't pour through the carb. Running the carb dry first also helps. If I have more than maybe a half-tank of gas, I risk gas coming out through the vent in the gas cap. So I put a plastic sandwich bag over the opening to the tank, then screw the cap down over it.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Agreed, follow your owner's manual's procedure for tipping the machine forward onto its nose.

On mine, I close the fuel shutoff, so gas won't pour through the carb. Running the carb dry first also helps. If I have more than maybe a half-tank of gas, I risk gas coming out through the vent in the gas cap. So I put a plastic sandwich bag over the opening to the tank, then screw the cap down over it.
That or a latex glove works well for putting under the gas cap. I haven't had any problems with fluids once I did that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS621 GX160
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
....Honda HS624 GX160
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes CarlB liked this post
post #7 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 24
I have tried a latex glove on my Ariens that has the LCT engine. In my case, the teeth on the cap are pretty sharp and shredded the glove when I screwed itís back in, allowing for some gas to dribble out.

I picked up a $10 siphon on Amazon and couldnít be happier. Itís two hose ends with a bulb in the middle. Wished Iíd had it years ago instead of trying the dreadful mouth method to siphon.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 09:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm fortunate that my Tecumseh tank threads are fairly large and smooth, so they don't tear things up while installing the cap.

I thought gas kind of attacks latex? I wonder if nitrile gloves might hold up better, if available. Polyethylene bags have worked well for me, polyethylene is what the tanks/gas cans are often made of.

I have a basic siphon pump, which works nicely, but I'll admit I usually just seal the cap. Not that I have to do it often.

Draining the tank is certainly a more guaranteed approach, no worries about whether something gets a hole in it. And the caps on some tanks are apparently kind of finicky, so putting something under the cap might be extra tough.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 147
Garage
While you have the machine tilted on its bucket and the bottom cover off, check the hex shaft that the friction disc travels on is lubricated slightly. Move the friction wheel to one side and grease the hex shaft and then move the disc to the other side and grease the rest of the shaft. Over greasing may allow grease to fly off the shaft and contact the drive disc so grease sparingly.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #10 of 24 Old 01-02-2020, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 6
However you get to look inside the drive area check the hex shaft for tilting side to side. That Murray/Noma style system uses interior mounted bearings that wear and can bind. Like Town mentioned do the greasing of the hex shaft. I've seen dry shafts people horsed around shifting and pop the ends out of the bearings. They really are more like wobble bushings and wear pretty quickly. If the hex shaft has excessive play or tilt it can bind the shifting like you describe.
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page