Snowblower Forum banner

Scored a freebie - Ariens Compact 24 Model 920014

14K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  johnwick 
#1 · (Edited)
While walking the dog this morning, I noticed one of my neighbors had this Ariens Compact 24 out with the trash. I rang his doorbell and offered to take a look at the machine for him. He smiled and thanked me for the offer, but said "the machine is junk... only value is scrap metal" He said the drain cap on one of the two oil fill ports wasn't completely tight and all the oil "leaked out" since the last oil change in 2015.
Long story short, I could wheel the machine home if I wanted it. Once home, I quickly checked the oil level and the machine is bone dry. Gave the recoil a quick pull and there was very little resistance. I didn't see any obvious holes or cracks in the block, but I really haven't given it a full inspection. I'll pull the spark plug tomorrow and throw on the compression gauge. Cosmetically, the machine looks to be in excellent condition. Even the paint in the impeller housing is still in great shape. Engine looks to be a Briggs and Stratton Polar Force 208cc very similar to Honda GX200 clone engines. Engine has 120v electric start and voltage output for the accessory halogen light mounted by the control panel. If the B&S engine is toast, I'm thinking of re-powering with 6.5 hp Predator 212cc engine. I know the Predator 212cc engines don't have a stator output, but can I pull flywheel and charging coils from the B&S Hone clone and swap them over to the Predator Engine? Will the 120v electric start transfer over to the Predator Engine? In advance, thank you for the insight and feedback!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
thats awesome. i would probably toss some oil in and see if it runs even if it was used oil. no point doing a compression check. if any damage was done from the engine being run low on oil it would only see seen in the bottom end. if it runs i would probably yank the engine and try re-sealing the side cover if there is not too much material or connecting rod bearing slop when the cover is off. i would worry about replacing the engine when you cross that bridge.

#6 ·
If it was run out of oil and little resistance pulling the cord, the rod tightened up on the crank and snapped the rod. Usually you can get the aluminum transfer from the rod off the crank journal with muriatic acid (don't breathe the fumes). A little polishing with crocus cloth, a new rod and fresh gaskets and you are ready to go.

#7 · (Edited)
Yup.

I actually have done this on a few GX motors over the years. One as recently as last month. The crank is steel alloy and rods are usually aluminum. Take off the rod, clean up the crank and throw a new rod on there and you are back in business. The kits usually come with a new piston/rings as well.

I dont use acid as the aluminum usually scraps right off; take off as much aluminum as you can using plastic scrapping blades and polish with 2000 or 3000 grit emery cloth would do the trick.

#9 ·
@Freezn,

That's a new machine with no wear. He could have sold that even with a blown engine. Amazing what people discard All my 8 blowers were free.

Heck, a new engine is only 99.00 if things are that involved to repair.

#10 ·
You guys never disappoint with positive feedback and excellent insight. Genuinely appreciated!
So here's the update. The engine is completely shredded. Tough to see in the picture below, but there's a hole the size of a tennis ball on the right side of the engine block (circled in red behind the electric start motor and oil dipstick tube). Just a guess, but I'm betting the crankshaft must have slung the connecting rod hard against the side of the block when the engine lost oil pressure and ultimately detonated. What a shame. The machine can't have more than 6-12 hours of total running time. So much for cleaning up the crank and replacing the rod.... :sad2:

Back to plan A. Ditch the shredded B&S Polar Force 208cc engine (Honda GX200 clone) and replace with a Predator 212cc engine. Just a few follow-up questions: 1) Should I go with the "standard" Predator 212cc engine or the Hemi version. I recall reading some recent threads about the standard Predator Engine having more flexibility for increasing the RPM's. What are the Pro's and Con's for both versions of the Predator 212cc? Also, I know the Predator 212cc engine does not have a stator output, but can I pull flywheel and charging coils from the B&S Polar Force (again, it's a Honda GX200 clone almost identical to the Predator) and swap them over to the Predator Engine? Will the 120v electric start transfer over to the Predator Engine? Thanks again for all the support! :thumbsup:

Attachments

#12 ·
Should I go with the "standard" Predator 212cc engine or the Hemi version. I recall reading some recent threads about the standard Predator Engine having more flexibility for increasing the RPM's. What are the Pro's and Con's for both versions of the Predator 212cc? Also, I know the Predator 212cc engine does not have a stator output, but can I pull flywheel and charging coils from the B&S Polar Force (again, it's a Honda GX200 clone almost identical to the Predator) and swap them over to the Predator Engine? Will the 120v electric start transfer over to the Predator Engine?
The hemi is just as capable as the standard head Predator 212 as far as increasing rpm. Kart racers run both of these engines at 6,000 rpm and higher (engines rebuilt with special parts). The racers report stock Predators (both versions with stock flywheel) are safe to 4,500 rpm. I run my hemi at 3,900 rpm. The hemi head design has a more efficient flow through the cylinder. Fit and finish seems nicer on the hemi version. Flywheel fit is problematic at best, the two predator 212s use different flywheels and there's no guarantee the Briggs flywheel will fit either engine. You could only use the starter on the Predator if you change the flywheel to one that has a ring gear, plus you may need to modify the engine shroud. I believe there are mounting bosses for the stator coil but they are not drilled and tapped. The stock flywheel only has magnets for the ignition coil. Both versions have been known to be delivered at times with carburetors that surge, you can exchange for another engine or play with the jet sizes. The engines are jetted lean and generally benefit from larger jets. These engines run strong and it has been reported that they are generally comparable to a Tecumseh 8hp flathead engine. With modifications (expensive) these engines can produce two or more times the stock power rating.

#11 ·
I have the Predator 212 engine on one of my Ariens, the 10M6 … easy swap, runs great. I would not worry, as both versions are fine, and there is no need to go in and start changing all the settings and such, as straight out of the box is fine.

You will not need electric start, as this is the easiest one pull engine start I ever encountered.

As far as installing a stator, I personally have no lights on any of my 7 blowers, and never needed one in all my years (lol, many), and I used to do drivers for money … never an issue.

Its my personal feeling that all these lights, horns, hand warmers, stereos, etc., etc …. are just frills as selling points, as what else can they do to enhance sales and increase the selling price for profit .. lol, you have to add stuff to try and merit that profit margin. In my opinion, it is total fluff, and just gives the probability of more things to go wrong and repair.

Reactions: Freezn
#13 ·
There ARE a few cheaper winter engines out there too, I’ll have to find the link when I get to my PC but there was a 254cc LCT for $129 and used the same case as the 208cc and had electric start and coil I’m pretty sure so should be a easy swap. I’ll try and find the link after I get home from work tonight.

#15 ·
As good a shape as that blower is in, my *last* concern would be cheaping out on the engine! Get something decent (IE *NOT* Horrible Fraud!) that will be more appropriate for a blower in that condition. Myself, I'd consider finding a block for the same basic Briggs, and keep it stock . . . likely easier to sell that way as well, since there won't be concerns of a dealer refusing to service a ******* for the next owner . . .

#16 ·
I've got a clone I bought at Pep Boys in 95 still doing duty after being retired as a cranberry harvester engine in 03 as a snowblower engine on my repowered ST824.....seeing that ALL snowblower engines are Honda clones made in ...gasp....China....what difference is it????Loncin....LCT.....whatever. Briggs is just a Honda clone made in China....they are all good quality, and cheap....take advantage.

#20 ·
Support! Good luck finding parts for Horrible Fraud of the other pot metal cheapos! A known US brand will be supported, offshore junk, pretty unlikely.

If you like to change an entire engine for every single problem, knock yourself out. Myself, I fix what is broken . . .

And calling Chinese stuff "they are all good quality" is comedy gold! It's more of an accident to get something from a no-name China brand that isn't junk. Can they do quality? Sure . . . Do they typically do quality? Heck no! More money in selling junk and vanishing!

#25 ·
I picked a 414cc up for my ST11526 with a govener issue, do I need it ummm NO but do I want it and did I have the money from snow blower sales OH YES I DID lol not sure of the bolt pattern on the Briggs but the 254 is the exact same size and bolt pattern as the LTC 208cc and can confirm it as I switched to a 254cc from a 208cc on my sno-Tec.

For the fixed speed you can get the carb with the throttle for $20 and the throttle knob for another $5 if it’s that criticle to have it.

#28 ·
The 414cc said fixed throttle also but it actually did have it on the engine so I was happy and agree, well worth the $25

#30 ·
I have the Predator on one of my 24 inch Ariens for years now, more than enough power, runs flawless. If I ever need another power swap, Predator all the way for me.

But there are others here that want the biggest engine for the biggest price, … to each his own I say... :)

#32 ·
I don’t think it was so much the power but more the fact it had the lighting coil and electric start, I linked the 254cc because the 208cc is only $10 less so the extra power is the bonus.

#33 ·
My issue with Horrible Fraud is that I have tried buying a few things there over the years, and absolutely every time, I have gotten total crap that broke if you look at it funny. You would think a hydraulic press would be hard to screw up, right? Nope . . . first use a press plates (looked like 1" or so thick hunks of steel) broke right in half under the minimal load of pushing out a wheel bearing . . . and most of the tools are so rough that they are sloppy loose before you even use them. Based on that, I have no desire to take any chances on anything they sell, especially considering that better can be had for just about the same price elsewhere. It's like the acronym C.R.A.P. (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts) in car parts - sure it's cheap, if you don't mind constantly replacing bad parts . . . . My time is worth far more than the few dollars saved . . .

#34 ·
@tad,

Sounds like you had some bad experience, and I can understand you being soured on HF.

I on the other hand have had great success with my purchases.

Sure, there not Snap-On, but I don't expect that from them. I Love there prices and quality for what I use it for.

There Mini-Tire Changer w/coupon is one such deal. Invaluable for as many small tires I change. I could go on and on.

#36 ·
Pretty much 100% bad, and the HF stores here look totally fly by nigh (like the Dollar Store). If I'l looking for limited use and decent, we have Northern Tool, which is a far more class act, and sells soome of the identical generators as HF in the Predator line for the same $$$ and, iirc, a 3x longer warranty. I just find no use for a firm as sloppy and shady as HF . . . .

When I buy tools, unless it;s a one-off oddball, I buy something I plan to own for life . . . almost always cheaper in the big picture than breaking junk over and over . . .

#42 ·
So Freezn, what have you decided to do? And most of all when you do it we want pics. Hopefully this thread get back on subject helping you out instead of a big what’s good debate.

#44 ·
I will absolutely share pictures of the engine swap before, during, and after the process is completed. Hoping to get things started in the next weekend or two. As far as replacement engine choices, it's down to the Predator 212cc for $129 or the LCT 254cc fixed speed ;) with electric start and generator for $184 shipped. Just need to figure out if I want to keep the machine or sell it. Feel like I have too many machines as is... lol. If I keep the Ariens Compact 24, then I'll definitely go with the LCT 254cc engine. If I decide to flip the machine, I'll probably wait for a $99 sale at Harbor Freight and get the Predator Engine. Decisions....Decisions.....

#45 ·
I have a Sno-Tec that is basically the same as a compact and put a 254cc on it and it’s a pretty good machine and the wife unit loves it ( don’t want me to sell it) but picked up a 2017 deluxe 24 for $50 that needed a rebuild after it was hit by a forklift but that’s done so wanting to keep that as it’s a bit heavier duty and has auto turn but the sno-Tek with a 254cc is very capable.

#50 ·
Not really sure what point you're trying to make but as stated by tadawson inspection isn't meant to improve a product it's meant to keep a standard. Your quote seems to come out of thin air. I don't see where anyone was talking about a QC department tasked with improving something. It's just not what they do.
How high or low that standard is is something else. Inspection does it's job when it keeps substandard product from getting out into the market.

How about we stick a little closer to helping Freezen get this Compact 24 re-powered and have a little less argument over HF, who makes what and chaff that doesn't really relate ?

#48 ·
True, but then again if the inspection results in a bad batch being rejected and not sold, that's still a clear win for the end user, and also a clear message to the offshore mfg. that that level of sloppy work will not be tolerated moving foward,.

Ideal? Hardly, but about all that can be done with all the shoddy offshore dung being dumped into the US market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.