Scored a freebie - Ariens Compact 24 Model 920014 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 01-06-2020, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 142
Scored a freebie - Ariens Compact 24 Model 920014

While walking the dog this morning, I noticed one of my neighbors had this Ariens Compact 24 out with the trash. I rang his doorbell and offered to take a look at the machine for him. He smiled and thanked me for the offer, but said "the machine is junk... only value is scrap metal" He said the drain cap on one of the two oil fill ports wasn't completely tight and all the oil "leaked out" since the last oil change in 2015.
Long story short, I could wheel the machine home if I wanted it. Once home, I quickly checked the oil level and the machine is bone dry. Gave the recoil a quick pull and there was very little resistance. I didn't see any obvious holes or cracks in the block, but I really haven't given it a full inspection. I'll pull the spark plug tomorrow and throw on the compression gauge. Cosmetically, the machine looks to be in excellent condition. Even the paint in the impeller housing is still in great shape. Engine looks to be a Briggs and Stratton Polar Force 208cc very similar to Honda GX200 clone engines. Engine has 120v electric start and voltage output for the accessory halogen light mounted by the control panel. If the B&S engine is toast, I'm thinking of re-powering with 6.5 hp Predator 212cc engine. I know the Predator 212cc engines don't have a stator output, but can I pull flywheel and charging coils from the B&S Hone clone and swap them over to the Predator Engine? Will the 120v electric start transfer over to the Predator Engine? In advance, thank you for the insight and feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Pic 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	162203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Pic 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	162205  

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve

Last edited by Freezn; 01-07-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296, classiccat, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 01-06-2020, 11:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 40
Wow. I'm just amazed at the things people throw out. That thing looks brand new.
post #3 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 12:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 40
Garage
Yep, looks like cheap junk to me.......

A little TLC and you can put at the EOD with a For Sale sign..... great find....
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Freezn thanked for this post
post #4 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 12:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 71
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 223
thats awesome. i would probably toss some oil in and see if it runs even if it was used oil. no point doing a compression check. if any damage was done from the engine being run low on oil it would only see seen in the bottom end. if it runs i would probably yank the engine and try re-sealing the side cover if there is not too much material or connecting rod bearing slop when the cover is off. i would worry about replacing the engine when you cross that bridge.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #5 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 43
Garage
Congrats, you scored!!!

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
post #6 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 08:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Received): 44
If it was run out of oil and little resistance pulling the cord, the rod tightened up on the crank and snapped the rod. Usually you can get the aluminum transfer from the rod off the crank journal with muriatic acid (don't breathe the fumes). A little polishing with crocus cloth, a new rod and fresh gaskets and you are ready to go.
post #7 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtch5881 View Post
If it was run out of oil and little resistance pulling the cord, the rod tightened up on the crank and snapped the rod. Usually you can get the aluminum transfer from the rod off the crank journal with muriatic acid (don't breathe the fumes). A little polishing with crocus cloth, a new rod and fresh gaskets and you are ready to go.

Yup.

I actually have done this on a few GX motors over the years. One as recently as last month. The crank is steel alloy and rods are usually aluminum. Take off the rod, clean up the crank and throw a new rod on there and you are back in business. The kits usually come with a new piston/rings as well.

I dont use acid as the aluminum usually scraps right off; take off as much aluminum as you can using plastic scrapping blades and polish with 2000 or 3000 grit emery cloth would do the trick.

Last edited by JnC; 01-07-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Freezn liked this post
post #8 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 24
Thatís a terrific find! Some yayhoo would have tried to sell that in my area for $500-600 rather than give it away.
post #9 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 129
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 450
@Freezn,

That's a new machine with no wear. He could have sold that even with a blown engine. Amazing what people discard All my 8 blowers were free.

Heck, a new engine is only 99.00 if things are that involved to repair.
post #10 of 56 Old 01-07-2020, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 142
You guys never disappoint with positive feedback and excellent insight. Genuinely appreciated!
So here's the update. The engine is completely shredded. Tough to see in the picture below, but there's a hole the size of a tennis ball on the right side of the engine block (circled in red behind the electric start motor and oil dipstick tube). Just a guess, but I'm betting the crankshaft must have slung the connecting rod hard against the side of the block when the engine lost oil pressure and ultimately detonated. What a shame. The machine can't have more than 6-12 hours of total running time. So much for cleaning up the crank and replacing the rod....

Back to plan A. Ditch the shredded B&S Polar Force 208cc engine (Honda GX200 clone) and replace with a Predator 212cc engine. Just a few follow-up questions: 1) Should I go with the "standard" Predator 212cc engine or the Hemi version. I recall reading some recent threads about the standard Predator Engine having more flexibility for increasing the RPM's. What are the Pro's and Con's for both versions of the Predator 212cc? Also, I know the Predator 212cc engine does not have a stator output, but can I pull flywheel and charging coils from the B&S Polar Force (again, it's a Honda GX200 clone almost identical to the Predator) and swap them over to the Predator Engine? Will the 120v electric start transfer over to the Predator Engine? Thanks again for all the support!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens cracked block.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	162219  

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page