LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 31
MTD -Powermore Engine

I am getting ready to sell a blower with the 277cc powermore engine. It runs beautifully for about 2 minutes then it stops. I put a new needle and float, emulsion tube and jet. I cleaned out the tank and checked the fuel filter. In the summer when I changed the oil I had it running about 10 min to get the oil warm, no problem. Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 479
Likes (Received): 848
How does it stop? As if it's running out of fuel, dying gradually? Or as if you turned the key off, dying completely all at once?

If it's gradual, I'd try loosening the gas cap, and trying it again. If the cap vent is plugged, it won't let air into the tank, as the fuel level drops. Which then starves the carb. If you got lucky, this is a simple and fairly cheap fix.

Will it restart after it dies?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sometimes sputters,sometimes sudden. I downloaded a MTD Powermore service manual and it said to test the gas cap.Which I did . I made a New Years Resolution- No more Chinese engines. I picked up a nice 5HP MTD with a Tecumseh engine .Carb had a little water and gel, nice clean-its purring like a kitten.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #4 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Just for my understanding/curiosity, how did you check the gas cap?

Do you have an inline spark tester? That would show if you're losing spark as it dies.

Otherwise, what if you add choke as it starts to die, will that help it run even a few seconds longer? If so, likely fuel-related. You can also give it a quick spray of something flammable into the carb, as it starts to die. If it keeps running, it's definitely fuel.

You might try replacing the spark plug, on the off-chance there's something going wrong with it as it heats up. I'd definitely replace it if it's a no-name plug, it's cheap to try.

If it's not spark, and not fuel, then I suppose it's possible the valve clearances are way too-small, and you're losing compression as the engine heats up.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Simple it said to suck should have no resistance and blow could have a little. I will check with spark tester tomorrow, I replaced plug with a NGK. I can take a peak at the valve clearance. But when it stalls sometimes take 5-6 tries the next time fires right up. I'm using non-ethanol premium with a stabilizer and a good shot of Seafoam in it hoping it will clear something I missed.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post
Sometimes sputters,sometimes sudden. I downloaded a MTD Powermore service manual and it said to test the gas cap.Which I did . I made a New Years Resolution- No more Chinese engines. I picked up a nice 5HP MTD with a Tecumseh engine .Carb had a little water and gel, nice clean-its purring like a kitten.

I wouldn't sell the Powermore short. I have one, and the thing really purrs. It starts first pull almost every time, and when it hits deep snow, the governor kicks in, and the engine turns into a beast. When you get it running right, you'll love it, or the next owner will ! Mine is the 208 cc, and I think it is rated for 6.5 hp, but it seems like much more. I wish the rest of the MTD engineering was as good as the engine.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Does the cord feel easier to pull after it stalls, when trying to re-start it?

For the cap, just to rule out out entirely, I'd try loosening it. Or remove it, put a plastic bag over the tank's opening, secure it with a rubber band, and poke some holes in the bag for vents. See if anything changes. At a minimum, after it dies, loosen the cap. Listen carefully for a small "whoosh" of air entering the tank as the cap loosens. If there's air suddenly flowing, then the cap is not venting properly.

Even if the actual cause was still unclear, we should at least be able to narrow it down to fuel, spark, or compression.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I tried it with the gas cap loose. Last Saturday I spent about 3 hrs removing all the shrouds to clean the carb and fuel filter. Then the carb kit today. Im thinking of keeping it as a trophy of failure.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-10-2020, 10:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
I wouldn't sell the Powermore short. I have one, and the thing really purrs. It starts first pull almost every time, and when it hits deep snow, the governor kicks in, and the engine turns into a beast. When you get it running right, you'll love it, or the next owner will ! Mine is the 208 cc, and I think it is rated for 6.5 hp, but it seems like much more. I wish the rest of the MTD engineering was as good as the engine.
the powermores are actually good engines, only thing i dont like about them is how they bury everything under shrouding. i wouyld try running it with the gas cap off or like others have mentioned with a cheap spark tester
post #10 of 17 Old 01-11-2020, 12:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 284
pretty sure they use the same type of engines on toro machines just with their own brand name on it. i got a 208cc one sitting in storage still runs like new even after sitting in storage for 2 years while i keep trying to find a machine i like enough that it will swap onto. i would also recommend checking spark if you got a tester

personally if the 5hp machine you picked up is nice enough you should probably just flip it unless you really think it will do the job. i have personally found those 5hp engines wimpy. they try their hardest and are hard to make stall but the harder you work them the shorter the distance the snow is thrown. i would take a Chinese engine over the Tecumseh engine. you can even find them used cheap on stuff like pressure washers. picked up a pressure washer with 6hp honda for $75 this summer.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page