Descision this morning before I head to dealer - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Descision this morning before I head to dealer

Hello everyone!

New to the forums. First post. Going to be long so I apologize in advance. Thanks. Would love to get some quick feedback on my purchase I must make today. We are forecasted for Friday January 17th at a high temperature of 20F and a low temperature after dark of -9f. Windy and 10 to 13 inches of
snow over a 20 hour period.

The Ariens machines I have narrowed down to are the 24" platinum sho 921050 with the AX 369cc gen 3 motor. Or the pro 28" 926065 with the Ariens Polar Force Briggs & Stratton 420cc motor.

Time for the backstory which may help some of you gentlemen help me ease my pain of which of those 2 models I should spring for.
I work from home. Make my own schedule. 30 years old. Fit as a fiddle. This gives me plenty of time to do things outside which I thoroughly enjoy. I love mowing lawns. I love snowblowing. I am a perfectionist to the T. I moved to my new city 3 years and 3 months ago. I have made great repore with and met over 300 neighbors as I walk my dog daily. I mow and snow blow for 8 of my elderly neighbors(70 to early 80's. in age, on my same street I live.

Our town averages 80 to 100 inches of snow per year. Usually 4 ten+ inch snowfalls. A good handfull of 4 to 8 inch events and a bunch of under 4 inch snows. Eveything from 32f concrete sledge snow to below 0f snow. I have lugged around a an Ariens 24" 8524/932104 for 12 years and It has served me wonderfully. I have always snow blowed more neighbors wherever I have lived in the time I've owned the machine. I am thorough and careful while working the machine but I do work it hard.

The start of this winter season the city changed the road snow removal rules. If it stops snowing on an odd day, vehicles must all be parked on the even house sides of the road for at least 12 hours, then must be moved to the odd side thereafter. And vice versa if it stops snowing on an even day. This has made things actually much worse for private snow removal folks and companies because now the city plows come back and bury the ends of our driveways on average 3 times for 5 inch and under snowfalls. Over 5 inches and they have been coming back and burying the ends of driveways on average 4 to 5 times. *gasp*. Totally rediculous. Anyways, I saw the writing on the wall coming for some smaller companies and fly-by nighters. The people did not know what to expect with these constant end of driveway catastrophies. And plow or snowblowing companies had no notice this was how it was now going to be. Hence after the first 5 snowfalls, other good folks whom live close by to me in my neighborhood that had companies doing their snow removal just stopped showing up. Probably because they were not ready to bid all this extra work that thier profession was hefted on to them. Long story short, multiple of those neighbors immediately came to me asking and willing to pay anything to have me do thier snow removal. I took on 8 more neighbors with no issues whatsoever.
Then 2 days ago on a 3 inch snowstorm, my trusty Ariens blower engine finally had enough. She went KAPLOWY.

So here I sit contemplating my new purchase which must be made today. We have a fantastic Ariens dealer near us. I can get 300$ off msrp for the 24" platinum sho or 350$ off msrp for the 28" pro. With the sho purchase he'll even throw in the weight and drift cutters for free. He'll also throw in the poly skids for both machines. Heck of a deal on either machine?

We live in an middle-upper middle class subdivision. Roughly 35 to 45 year old streets and sidewalks. The sidewalks are due from the city to be replaced over the next 3 years. Right now they are not too terrible but there are lots of bump, edges, heaves and so forth. All the ends of our driveways have the one inch concrete rounded bump to the city roadway and gutter. I have it all figured out perfectly. I also snowstake all my properties. Sidewalks are 48 inches wide. 90% of driveways are 2 vehicle lengths long and 2 vehicle wide. 10% are 3 vehicle wide and 2 vehicle long. A few are one vehicle+ wide and roughly 60 to 70 feet long and turn into the garages at 2 vehicles wide and 2 vehicle long. I found using armor skids helps a ton saving on the bashing of the scraper blade and front sides the blower housing. I also ceramic coat 3 coats deep everything on the machine. I also use a hardened rubber epoxy on all the front housing edges. My methods work a charm. No dings, no scratches, no dents and no rust. And very very miniscule paint lost if ever even in the chute or impeller or auger housing.

So that's where I am at. I really like the 24" platinum show. A bit smaller and easier to manuever around walks and vehicles and the such. I would think the Sho would also excel at the end of driveway fiasco we deal with. I also like the 28" pro. Built a bit beefier. Bigger motor. Bigger swath. 70 lbs heavier. Better balanced. Should also get through the end of driveway catastrophies?

Really trying to batten down my descision for all the factors I have laid out. Also there is never a hurried madness by any of my clients to get things done. They all really appreciate my work.

Thanks for your time folks.

Alden
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Fat City, ericr thanked for this post
Likes Fat City, ericr liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 33
If you're doing that many driveways, I'd go with the pro!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
to SBF Alden

Bigger bucket, bigger engine and stronger build. Since you're fit as a fiddle the added weight shouldn't be a burden and it has a better chance at longevity being more of a commercial machine than the SHO.
Nothing wrong with the SHO at all. Since you're doing much more that just your own residence I'd go for the PRO.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-16-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Likes kimber liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF Alden

Bigger bucket, bigger engine and stronger build. Since you're fit as a fiddle the added weight shouldn't be a burden but it has a better chance at longevity being more of a commercial machine than the SHO.
Nothing wrong with the SHO at all. Since you're doing much more that just your own residence I'd go for the PRO.

Yes I do agree and I own a 28 Pro, very happy with it. But as to the engines, the 24'' has 15.375cc/inch while the 28 has 15cc/inch. My point as far as the engine ratings they should essentially be equal.

In another thread here in the forums I was bitching about ''plastic'' bearings used in snowblowers. I forgot who replied telling us there are NO plastic bearings in a Pro.

Go Pro!
post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 1217
Likes (Received): 303
Garage
Run down to Harbor Freight, grab a Predator motor, one day ship a crank sleeve from Amazon, and replace the motor on your old machine. Might as well get everything out of it that you can. Oops, I thing it's a dual shaft, disregard...

Wake me up when the snow's done...

Last edited by gibbs296; 01-16-2020 at 11:56 AM. Reason: research....
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Fat City thanked for this post
Likes Fat City liked this post
post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 12:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I would have suggested repowering as well even if to keep as backup...except it is a 932 series....worst Ariens ever built IMO.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Fat City thanked for this post
Likes toromike, Fat City liked this post
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 27
When you are looking at the machines, I believe the pro models have bearings vs bushings for some things like the axles. Take a look and see if there is a difference. If you are blowing a bunch of drives, I would go with the bigger engine on the pro series.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yes I do agree and I own a 28 Pro, very happy with it. But as to the engines, the 24'' has 15.375cc/inch while the 28 has 15cc/inch. My point as far as the engine ratings they should essentially be equal.

Go Pro!
In his post he was saying the SHO has the 369cc and the PRO is a 420cc I would think the 50cc difference would be noticeable.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes kimber liked this post
post #9 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
I think the 28 inch Pro would be more than justified on abuse use alone.

21 ft lbs out of the engine so it has the go pup to more than handle the wider chute.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #10 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 24
Go Pro and never have any regrets (especially since they have a Briggs version available.) The price discount and the extras are unheard of during peak season. Good luck!

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page