Old 01-16-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Slightly Modified

Hey Everyone.
New guy here from north eastern Canada. I found this forum while researching some information for a few of the old machines i have. It seems like a great place with lots of knowledgeable and friendly people.
I think some of you guys will get a kick out my current creation but first a little history.

the original incarnation was built to put on the back of my garden tractor. It was built from an old Mastercraft 8/26 that was cut apart and 11" added to each side bringing it up to 48" wide. The augers and extra shaft came from a similar vintage mtd with a stuck Tecumseh. It served well for a few years until the tractor developed some reliability issues.

After the tractor wasn't working as well as it used to I decided to turn it back into a rather large walk behind, added a different drive assembly off an unknown MTD built machine and voila! an 8hp/48" cut blower. It makes quick work of clearing a large yard. If im reading the date code of the briggs correctly that motor is of 1978 vintage.

2nd version walkbehind brigs

Had to re weld the auger shaft last winter after breaking a weld.

At the end of last season the Briggs sheared the flywheel key and is currently in a non running state. After a summer of not having any spare time to dedicate to looking at it, once again the snow ended up upon us leaving me scrambling to come up with something. As luck would have it I was given my grandfathers old noma a few years back so I've borrowed its 10hp Tecumseh to get by this year.

Here is how it sits as of today. Future plans are adding led lights (waiting on my rectifiers to arrive) and building a new belt cover for it as the original is long gone. I've noticed the worm gear has a ton of slack in it and honestly I'm not surprised so I will have to look at replacing it come end of season. If I cant find any parts for it plans are already starting for frankenblower 2.0

Thanks for taking the time to check out my machine!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
Welcome!

All of us love 💘 pictures. Thanks. And we love old machines. Character!

Lot of knowledgeable people on here though there are those times we are answering a question, we are not thinking of every solution to the problem then someone else fills in.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4373
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
to SBF gizmo_22

Might be just a bit much for a walk behind but to each their own. You should consider adding some duals to that monster for some extra grip

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Actually its surprising with just the single wheels, if it starts to slip just push down on the bars a little bit and it puts enough weight on them to grip. The biggest issue I have is if one side of the bucket gets into some compacted snow it try's to turn the entire machine. It's a little bit of a workout running it but it handles well for the size. I would like to put a slightly taller tire on it to level out the engine though.

Were supposed to get another 15-30cm this Sunday so maybe I'll try to get some video of it working in the daylight if anyone wants to see.

Last edited by gizmo_22; 01-16-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Likes db130, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo_22 View Post
Actually its surprising with just the single wheels, if it starts to slip just push down on the bars a little bit and it puts enough weight on them to grip. The biggest issue I have is if one side of the bucket gets into some compacted snow it try's to turn the entire machine. It's a little bit of a workout running it but it handles well for the size. I would like to put a slightly taller tire on it to level out the engine though.

Were supposed to get another 15-30cm this Sunday so maybe I'll try to get some video of it working in the daylight if anyone wants to see.
I would like to see the video.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Old 01-16-2020, 05:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 276
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 3361
Likes (Received): 683
Welcome to SBF gizmo. I don't know about the practicality of an 8hp 48" auger, but I do like the ingenuity to create it. Good job.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Old 01-16-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
While not technically a walk behind I forgot I had put a video on YouTube when I first had it on the tractor. The. 8hp did well on it as long as the snow wasn't too wet.
https://youtu.be/2bKP_W-MZi0
Old 01-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Well you get a pile of points for ingenuity and resourcefulness..... EXTRA Bonus Points for the Fab work, Outside, on the ground, in the winter.....IN the Snow. Can't ask for more dedication than THAT!!!! Good Work !!!!

GLuck, Jay
Likes Kiss4aFrog, Grunt liked this post
Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the kind words! And yes that was built outside with snow on the ground. With a cheap 90amp fluxcore welder. It wasn't to bad to work on with insulated coveralls though. Although I cant wait to finish my garage build and finally have a place that's dry to work in.
I started building it in the fall after fighting for awhile to get my permits, so far the floor is poured and I have the 4 walls up. Just need to finish sheeting them and get the trusses delivered then I can get it closed up at least.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well finally got a decent snowfall so I took a short video for everyone. Apologies for the shaky camera and focus issues. It's rather awkward operating with one hand. On the plus side that led light mod that's on this site works great!

https://youtu.be/R-jdh5_bAPI
Likes Shovel, db130 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in