LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Unhappy Hondas can't scrape?

I purchased a HSS928ATD in February of 2019. I absolutely love the design, engine, controls, and general robustness of the machine. BUT, I am having significant issue with the fact that I cannot scrape my driveway after a storm. This machine replaced a 13 year old wheel drive Ariens that was a tank. I could literally scrape my driveway down to black pavement.

After struggling to get clean pavement during my first storm with the new Honda, the dealer told me the manufacturer requires at least and 1/8" clearance between the housing/blade and the ground to protect the auger. They also advised that I could prematurely wear down the auger, or even destroy it, if I allowed the machine to scrape the driveway like my last machine did.

I realize that I can use the auger height adjustment mechanism, but this really doesn't scrape the driveway and it makes the machine erratic and very difficult to keep going straight forward.

Am I missing something? Do all Honda snowblower owners live with an 1/8" of snow on their driveways?

Thanks in advance for your help! I figured I check with the pros before taking chances by bringing down the shoe and scraper blade adjustment.

Last edited by rendazzi; 01-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 02:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1678
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendazzi View Post
I purchased a HSS928ATD in February of 2019. I absolutely love the design, engine, controls, and general robustness of the machine. BUT, I am having significant issue with the fact that I cannot scrape my driveway after a storm. This machine replaced a 13 year old wheel drive Ariens that was a tank. I could literally scrape my driveway down to black pavement.

After struggling to get clean pavement during my first storm with the new Honda, the dealer told me the manufacturer requires at least and 1/8" clearance between the housing/blade and the ground to protect the auger. They also advised that I could prematurely wear down the auger, or even destroy it, if I allowed the machine to scrape the driveway like my last machine did.

I realize that I can use the auger height adjustment mechanism, but this really doesn't scrape the driveway and it makes the machine erratic and very difficult to keep going straight forward.

Am I missing something? Do all Honda snowblower owners live with an 1/8" of snow on their driveways?

Thanks in advance for your help! I figured I check with the pros before taking chances by bringing down the shoe and scraper blade adjustment.
I agree with dealer.perhaps the skid shoes need some adjustment so that it will go straight. the side it is pulling to suggests that skid shoe is lower than other side. owners manual shows how to adjust I believe.

i see auger housings and augers damaged all the time due to non adjustment of bar and skids. very expensive components.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #3 of 11 Old 01-19-2020, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 20
Hondas can't scrape?

My recommendation, to use with self analysis as I can be wrong.

You want to scrape but you don’t want to do it with the auger, as it would damage it.

What I did on mine, I loosen the 6-7 bolt that hold the scraper bar and I adjusted it all the way down.. then I lowered my rear skid shoes to be about 1/16th of an inch lower....

This way, the scraper bar bites really hard à the ground but my auger is still clear of the ground. I thing there are two downside to my approach...

1- it will wear the scraper bar much faster as it’s often scrubbing against the hard ground. It also dives in more, leading to:
2- the snowblower has a tendency to bite more making somewhat more prone to unwanted turn and, more at risk of lifting gravel....

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
post #4 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK I'll check that out.... definitely don't want to bang up the auger! Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
Definitely don't let the auger itself hit the ground.

Do you just have the rear skids, the kind that sit behind the bucket? Especially if you're trying to keep tight control over the height of the scraper bar, I'd consider adding side skids, like most machines use, bolted to the side of the bucket, near the opening. This lets you control the height basically right at the scraper bar, as opposed to further away, behind the bucket. It should let you more-consistently set the lowest possible position for the scraper bar.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Definitely don't let the auger itself hit the ground.

Do you just have the rear skids, the kind that sit behind the bucket? Especially if you're trying to keep tight control over the height of the scraper bar, I'd consider adding side skids, like most machines use, bolted to the side of the bucket, near the opening. This lets you control the height basically right at the scraper bar, as opposed to further away, behind the bucket. It should let you more-consistently set the lowest possible position for the scraper bar.
RedOctobyr.... Yes, I just have the large skid shoes behind the auger bucket. That sounds like a great idea. Would the side shoes replace the rear shoes, or would they just be in addition to those?

Thanks!!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
Alas, I don't have a Honda, so I can't offer first-hand experience. I'd think there wouldn't be much downside to keeping the rear skids, if they're adjusted so they don't interfere with the function of the side skids. But hopefully people who have used both can chime in.

FWIW, 95% of machines just have side skids, and they get by fine with just those. Honda is the only company I know of that uses rear skids. Perhaps Yamaha, but they aren't sold here in the US, so I don't see much discussion of them.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 5
Somewhere there is probably a drawing illustrating this, but I'll do my best to explain without visual aid.

With a track machine (as delivered no front shoes) if you "bridge" it (lift bars high) the attack angle is changed and the bucket/auger height is decreased as you are pivoting on the rear shoes. This is the wheeled equivalent of adding larger tires or increased inflation. With the scraper bar ahead of the shoes it scrapes closer. If you add front shoes when you bridge it you will increase pressure on the front shoes, but also raise the scraper as the scraper is now between the tracks and the shoes.

One of our 928 has the auger teeth worn down to nubs and the side plates of the bucket worn significantly from being set too low. I am not the primary operator so I need to make it so that it bomb proof. I am also looking at adding skid shoes to the side bucket. These would be more to protect than to engage the ground continuously as the operator likes to bridge the machine so that it scrapes tight.

Set this at a height that the recommended range(see manual). I plan on going with 1/2" initially on our new machine, but if your surface is really flat you could try less. Flat surface lay down spacer (1/2" in my case) under the auger itself to support it. Adjust the shoes down to the ground and secure. Now go to the scraper and adjust how you like. If you adjust down super close it will catch on any irregularities so keep that in mind. It will also wear. There is a lot of adjustment available, but not a bad idea to have a spare around. If trying to scrape tight I might start with a paint stir stick as my gauge initially.

Last edited by TD-Max; 01-20-2020 at 10:41 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 5
Probably best in the Honda brand forum.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-20-2020, 11:18 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 234
Install some side mounted skid shoes such as the following, adjust them all (side ones and rear OEM ones) so the scrapper indeed has 1/8" clearance and you shouldnt have any issue with the blower properly scrapping the pavement. Even though the scrapper bar is a perishable/serviceable item, its merely there to protect the bottom of the bucket. If it touches the pavement then your machine would actually have tracking issues where you'd have to muscle it to keep it straight all the time while being used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-of-S...ty!03062!US!-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page