LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
MTD snowblowers

Hello - I'm pretty new to the SBF forums and have really enjoyed reading some of the older posts and educating myself on everything snowblower. Quick question - I often hear reference to MTD snowblowers. What brands are all considered to be under the MTD umbrella? Is the general consensus that MTD snowblowers are lower quality?

I inherited a simplicty that is probably 10 years old but had very minimal use and was in great shape. Is simplicity under the MTD brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 591
Thanks (Received): 773
Likes (Given): 4374
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
MTD is a good snowblower if you take care of it and do preventative maintenance. We tend to bash it and it's cousins a bit and it's not really fair as there are an awful lot of them out there and they start, run, blow snow and then wait patiently for the next snow without problem. They aren't the worst, they are made for the homeowner who is cost conscious so nothing is overbuilt but IMHO if you can't afford the better quality machines they are still way ahead of shoveling and should last a decade or two with proper care. My 11 yr old Troy-bilt (MTD) 24" is still running up and down a 300' gravel driveway and I have no complaints.

What MTD makes is a difficult question as it depends on the year. MTD re-brands machines for different labels and has also swolled up a number of companies over the years. This is only a list of the different divisions: Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Remington, Robomow, Rover, Wolf-Garten, Columbia, Yard Machines, Bolens - - > https://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...cts/our-brands

If I'm not mistaken MTD itself is or has been bought up by Stanley Black & Decker.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-20-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rod330 liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 157
Here's a link to all of MTD's brands. It looks like snow blowers are offered in the following brand names: Cub Cadet, TroyBilt, Remington, Columbia, Yard Machines and MTD.
https://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...cts/our-brands

Simplicity is now under the Briggs & Stratton (BASCO) brand:
https://www.basco.com/our-products/r...d-engines.html

Both are global companies offering products in many store-brand names. For example, many (but not all) Craftsman branded machines were produced by MTD. Likewise, I think the Mastercraft brand was made by MTD in Canada.

Here's another good source of brands for both engines and blowers:
https://movingsnow.com/2012/whats-the-difference

Opinions on MTD vary but I'm not a big fan in general. I do think Cub Cadet's higher-end offerings (above $1700- $1800) have some impressive specs but I've never inspected them personally. Like most things in life, you get exactly what you pay for.

Last edited by rod330; 01-20-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #4 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 277
Likes (Received): 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
If I'm not mistaken MTD itself is or has been bought up by Stanley Black & Decker.
The acquisition should be complete by July of 2021 according to this article:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300710830.html
post #5 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
MTD is my fav machines, especially with tecumseh motors. Most parts are still available new and used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
Any machine will last as long as you maintain it and use it properly. Common sense rules on some things of quality …. would I rather have a cast iron gear box or an aluminum one, of course, that goes without saying, I would choose the cast iron.

I have seen many Ariens, John Deere, Hondas, etc, in terrible, broke down condition because of lack of proper use and maintenance. I have also seen many Craftsman, as well as other MTD brands that look like the day they were bought … all depends on what you do with a machine.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes barney liked this post
post #7 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmiller39 View Post
Hello - I'm pretty new to the SBF forums and have really enjoyed reading some of the older posts and educating myself on everything snowblower. Quick question - I often hear reference to MTD snowblowers. What brands are all considered to be under the MTD umbrella? Is the general consensus that MTD snowblowers are lower quality?

I inherited a simplicty that is probably 10 years old but had very minimal use and was in great shape. Is simplicity under the MTD brands?
Are they the best?..Nope.
Are they ok?..Yes.
Easy to work on and parts are inexpensive.
Would I pay full price for one?..Nope..just as well toss in the extra hundred or two and get a Toro.
Deals are to be found on brand new MTD based machines all the time saving hundreds of dollars compared to the normal price.
For a home owner that is only using the machine a few times a year ..it can be the best solution for clearing the drive with minimal investment.
Many people have owned them for years without having any issues.
Alcohol free gas is a must on these or they will damage the carb while sitting off season.
Inhaling a piece of firewood while blowing tends to do more damage that to its more expensive competition.
For the homeowner using the blower a few times a year .. then doing the yearly maintenance ...there is no reason to be scared of them

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 06:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 35
I have been very happy with my cub cadet 3x26 HD this year. First year of use so we will see how it goes but so far have been very pleased with it
post #9 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 47
I bought a new Yardman (MTD) 10/30 in '96 or 97. I use it for 2 driveways and a 100" path through the lawn between them. I replaced the bearings, friction disc and belts first time last spring. I also replaced the carburetor because the throttle shaft was wearing into the carb body. Other than that, normal maintenance and mods.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by strtch5881 View Post
I bought a new Yardman (MTD) 10/30 in '96 or 97. I use it for 2 driveways and a 100" path through the lawn between them. I replaced the bearings, friction disc and belts first time last spring. I also replaced the carburetor because the throttle shaft was wearing into the carb body. Other than that, normal maintenance and mods.

OEM carb or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page