LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 751
Likes (Received): 268
Spark plugs

been seeing a lot of threads where people are finding issues with spark plugs,even finding counterfeit plugs being sold as NGK's

well today i went to service my toro, "oil change valve adjustment" , about 6 hours on a new motor, it starts to misfire, pulled the OEM plug.it reads bosch in blue letters yet has F7RTC with cn stamped in the rusting metal, the other bosch stamp also fails to look real bosch , it's jet black showing it's not firing right. rich mixture
i went and did a bosch cross over check, bosch fails to have that number listed, i tried to do a google check of f7rtc that only comes up as a touch plug,

i used to work the german car lines for close to 55 years, never did i see a bosch plug labeled in blue nor with out 2 rings painted , bosch as i know has always been green name and rings with a way better nickel /cad plating

note the real bosch is green what i took out is in no way a real bosch

Last edited by 87powershiftx2; 02-02-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 13
I had never in my entire life had a failed spark plug, until this weekend. I looked exactly like your photos. The blower took a minimum of 10 pulls to start and was getting worse. A 1/2 hour into clearing snow, it just flat died. I checked fuel supply, choke adjustment, and what the hey, I had new spark plug, so in it went. The factory recommended NGK. Problem solved.

I've become very skeptical of "made in China". As a youngster, it never occurred to me that I would be looking for plastic parts and "made in Japan". For the most part, I believe we all buy the best that we can afford. Gone are the made in USA 79 cent Champion plugs that seemed to last for a lifetime.

Everything operated fairly well until I started working on it
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A, 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 04:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Was that a re power engine on your Toro or the original engine with 6 hours on it? Yes F7RTC is a Torch #. My snow blower came with a Torch plug which I replaced after the first season with a NGK because what I read about Chinese plugs. The NGK starts on the first pull, the Torch would take multiple pulls to start. I'm surprised that the engine manufacture or snow blower company such as Toro, would use a counterfeit plug, a Torch plug disguised as a Bosch plug.

Whimsey
post #4 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 751
Likes (Received): 268
warranty replacement with 6 hours on it. first one seized at about the same hours,
post #5 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 05:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 75
I never had an issue with phony branded spark plugs but know of issues with similar products. It's a major problem but difficult to see anyone going after $3 knock-offs. A side note, though, I've purchased blue labeled Bosch spark plugs at Advance Auto and assume they were legit but they had rings.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 71
Torch comes in all the new LCT engines. Came in my Husqvarna and my dads new Ariens. I switched them out with ngk. 90% keep running but get harder to start(IMO) plugs like e3 and torch have a chrome coating of some kind so I don’t know if that changes the carbon buildup factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post
i used to work the german car lines for close to 55 years, never did i see a bosch plug labeled in blue nor with out 2 rings painted , bosch as i know has always been green name and rings with a way better nickel /cad plating note the real bosch is green what i took out is in no way a real bosch
Well, I have purchased lots of Blue Bosch labeled plugs (with the two blue rings) from NAPA and other local auto parts stores. Here's a couple of pictures right from the Bosch website:

Last edited by tabora; 01-20-2020 at 06:01 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 287
i had to replace a plug on a 3 year old machine just yesterday morning. it seemed like it was throwing a good spark when out of the engine but just wouldn't start. threw a new NGK in it and fired right up. have had it happen on a few machines over the years. i would give everything a once over and would swap out the plug as a last resort and that has usually worked.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #9 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 501
Here's Bosch's Anti-Counterfeit labeling info: Products,Product Services,Anti-counterfeit
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #10 of 14 Old 01-20-2020, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
I carry around two spares in my utility box. Guess I'll take them out and make sure they're ok before they're needed.

Last edited by BlowerMods1; 01-21-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page