Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Junk Blowers

Junk Snowblowers

Snapper M1227E
Craftsman
Murray

The bad transmission is a General Transmission.

Are these still being sold ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 255
and your just discovering this now? this is not really something new or even all machines that have junk transmissions. don't buy a single speed mtd machine either. it is always too late for the people coming here looking for help.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 573
Thanks (Received): 749
Likes (Given): 4246
Likes (Received): 1679
Garage
Actually it's junk transmission. Not supposed to bash but in this case it's earned. When the trans is working things are great. It's just ugly when it breaks and you find out it's not repairable, no parts available and $250 plus for a new unit.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 78
How many have bad trany vs work just fine?

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #5 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 255
i am not trying to bash mtd. i get they are trying to make more affordable basic blowers just the like the Ariens 520 i got. it is a basic single speed machine. just have a feeling quality may be the biggest difference. definitely seem to see quiet a few machines with failed transmission pop up for sale every year. even picked one up for myself 1 winter for a whole $40. still haven't found a use for the engine off it yet. when a new transmission is $250+ and it could possibly fail again is it really worth fixing? you can get a pretty decent used machine for $250. here is a good example of one of the cheap mtd's with a failed transmission. if they weren't asking so much it might actually sell.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7080899225908/

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #6 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
and your just discovering this now? this is not really something new or even all machines that have junk transmissions. don't buy a single speed mtd machine either. it is always too late for the people coming here looking for help.
If you'll read the post I wasn't looking for help just wondered if they were still selling these things as the premier Mr. fixit comes right out and recommends everyone to stay away from them. I was aware of the Craftsman I didn't know that other brands like Snapper and Murray used the same design though.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 209
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 764
Any machine that uses a General Transmission in their product...run from...
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #8 of 33 Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 17
Yep, I just crapped one today. It is an MTD with single speed. I got it for free, but I spent $200 on fixing/modifying it. It threw snow very far, but crapped out after 10 mins of used. I heard some noises and then the wheels stopped rotating. I took it inside right away to save the embarrassment. It still drive, but feel like skipping teeth. I haven't looked at it, yet, but I'm pretty sure that it was the transmission.

I knew it was a junk snowblower, but I still took it home. I regretted my decision. I actually got mad at it when fixing it. It is absolutely junk. I went online to bash MTD a lot for that.

I was hopping that it would last me a year, or two, so I have enough times to fix my Ariens. But, no, it crapped out the first time I used it.

It had no traction, so I put tire chains on it. I wasn't going to, because I knew it had junk transmission. Tire chains actually worked great. It should be fine if you have friction drive transmission.

It is just that this transmission came from a lawnmower. It has plastic body and brass worm gear. I don't even like brass worm gear, but it can be used in the auger gear box. Pushing a 200+ pounds snowblower through heavy snow is different. It is a lot for a brass gear to handle.

If you search for MTD/Troybilt lawnmower transmission, you will see the same transmission being displayed. The body design is a little different, but mostly the same. $130 to replace that transmission is none sense. It will just crap out again.

I will see if I can put something else on it to make it runs again.

Shame on MTD for making junks.

Last edited by dman2; 01-22-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #9 of 33 Old 01-27-2020, 12:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 17
I just went out to inspect it.

Turned out to be a belt slipping problem. The transmission is still fine as I checked for the worm gear inside it by rotating the wheels and engaging drive.

This snowblower had no bottom cover so, when I drove over ice and packed snow at the end of my driveway, water must had caused the belt to slip. It felt like a broken transmission (missing worm gear teeth). The sound it made was probably just the axle gear chewing up ice.

I haven't had a change to make a bottle cover for it, yet. I will just take it easy from now on. Being modified, it actually threw snow very well.
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #10 of 33 Old 01-27-2020, 01:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 78
Kind of got bad news for you. Brass gear is common/standard in the conveyor gear boxes I worked with. Browning, Regal Beloit, Winsmith, Dodge.

I do have to ponder putting $200 into a machine you don't trust (well possible you shouldn't). But its kind of like roulette. Blame the wheel/house or the guy putting his money on the table knowing the odds are agin him?

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page