LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
Grip Studs Worth a Try

Amended 2/20: They are coming out of the tracks. I suspect the rubber is too hard for the design. I am going to pull what I have left and then get some cheap ones and there have been notations to super glue them in.

note: I have them in the Side Car tires and have not seen any loss there.

My tracked Yamaha has had traction issues with the neighbors new driveway, it has a fairly steep initial pitch, rises 3 feet or so in 8 feet (that is a guess) - my own driveway is old and worn and not an issue.

I had some Grip Studs left over from a side car cycle studding project, enough to put 8 down the middle of each track.

Blew off her driveway this morning and no issues slipping per previous.

I thought they would help but they cured the issue completely. Might need another 8 per track for steeper or more icy but definitely works.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)

Last edited by RC20; 02-20-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ericr thanked for this post
Likes ericr liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 22
But will they leave marks on her driveway?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Fair question, I have run dense pack on my side car cycle and see no marks on my driveway.

Take a close looks and unless its sealed (and hers is not) then they are quite porous.

Further there is no slipping so it won't scratch (and yes I keep an eye on that sort of thing, easy to take out if I had to)

https://www.gripstuds.com/
Nice as you can install with a tool and I have had no issues. You can select the depth as well, mine were 1100s for the cycle due to tread depth, you can get deeper though I have seen none thrown out.

And no, I have no financial interest in Grip Stud, they seemed the best answer for the Ural and I could do them myself etc and perfectly satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Tire.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	162943  

post #4 of 15 Old 01-22-2020, 08:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Might also try those stretchy rubber things with studs that you put on your boots. They work nice when plowing on packed snow and ice, or climbing slopes.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes squid3083 liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 02-15-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I got to try them in the worst possible conditions, steep pitch at the bottom of my neighbors drive and my driveway were covered with slimy ice.
It was so bad that it was a controlled slide down, but going up even with just 8 studs down the middle of each track the Yamaha 624 crawled right up the worst which is my neighbors.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Shovel thanked for this post
post #6 of 15 Old 02-17-2020, 03:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 176
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 481
Likes (Received): 850
Cool. Studs sound pretty nice, I've only used chains so far. But studs would probably give plenty of grip on ice, without the bumpy ride of chains.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 15 Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I had chains on a couple other machines that were wheeled, I don't remember the bumping but I was a lot younger.

Mine is tracked so some kind of screw or stud would be needed if its a problem.

These work well. You can get cheap copies, the Grip Studs are $1 each roughly. Cheap copy off Amazon might work ok for low speed application. These were left over from the side car tire studding job so free as it were. A bit annoying form Grip studs as the install tool is extra, they should throw it in and then you could order non tooled.

Our driveway is probably 30 years or more since it was (patched in our case by previous owner).

Its pretty rough and not much slippage even with icy (pitch is a bit less as well). Pretty miner issue.

The neighbors who I blew out for years was gravel oddly, the new owner paved it last year, a lot nice but a good flat surface for ice when we get it. This last melt made it pure slick, I would never made it back up and going down was a sort of a controlled tobogon ride (only about 8 feet at the worst).

I was impressed on just 8 working that well. Another 8 a side would be nice but not have to. Only needed if a lot of it or regularly happened.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
My tracked Yamaha has had traction issues with the neighbors new driveway, it has a fairly steep initial pitch, rises 3 feet or so in 8 feet (that is a guess) - my own driveway is old and worn and not an issue.

I had some Grip Studs left over from a side car cycle studding project, enough to put 8 down the middle of each track.

Blew off her driveway this morning and no issues slipping per previous.

I thought they would help but they cured the issue completely. Might need another 8 per track for steeper or more icy but definitely works.
Thank you so much for posting about this. I was wondering about studs on tracked machines myself.

I have an Ariens Hydro Pro RapidTrak 28 machine. These RapidTrak machines have 3 settings you can put the tracks in: a "wheel mode" (highly maneuverable), a "regular" mode and a "dig-in" mode. The dig-in mode is the most aggressive and is intended to dig down through harder packed snow/ice. But I am unable to get the full benefit from it due to lack of traction, especially when going up-hill. Dig-in mode puts so much force on the front that I have to push down on the handlebars to keep it moving with any uphill slope at all. I have been wondering if adding studs would help this, but was worried about the following possible issues:
  1. Damage to driveway surfaces (I have asphalt)
  2. Hydrostatic transmission warranty (fear: "Oh, you have studs on it?; sorry your hydro tranny is not covered")
  3. How many studs to get?

Looking at the shape of my tracks, I could see having anything from about 130 to over 300 studs total ($160 to almost $400). Given the cost, I'm thinking I'd probably start on the low end and add more if needed.

It would be great to hear the results of your (or others') on-going experiences with studs on tracked machines.

Thanks again for posting!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 09:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Thank you so much for posting about this. I was wondering about studs on tracked machines myself.

I have an Ariens Hydro Pro RapidTrak 28 machine. These RapidTrak machines have 3 settings you can put the tracks in: a "wheel mode" (highly maneuverable), a "regular" mode and a "dig-in" mode. The dig-in mode is the most aggressive and is intended to dig down through harder packed snow/ice. But I am unable to get the full benefit from it due to lack of traction, especially when going up-hill. Dig-in mode puts so much force on the front that I have to push down on the handlebars to keep it moving with any uphill slope at all. I have been wondering if adding studs would help this, but was worried about the following possible issues:
  1. Damage to driveway surfaces (I have asphalt)
  2. Hydrostatic transmission warranty (fear: "Oh, you have studs on it?; sorry your hydro tranny is not covered")
  3. How many studs to get?

Looking at the shape of my tracks, I could see having anything from about 130 to over 300 studs total ($160 to almost $400). Given the cost, I'm thinking I'd probably start on the low end and add more if needed.

It would be great to hear the results of your (or others') on-going experiences with studs on tracked machines.

Thanks again for posting!

How about trying it out with some sheet-metal screws ? They are very cheap. But, I would be very concerned about any stud tearing up your paved driveway.

I am surprised that you have to run in dig mode on a paved driveway. My Ariens 3-wheeled track machine seem like it would run up the side of a wall.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have amended my post but will repeat here. They started coming out, plan is to get some cheap ones and try super glue as was noted someplace. I don't need the good ones for this, they were left over so no loss to try.

It had occurred to me that you could try sheet metal screws. Maybe need super glue there as well. Might be the same issue but also keep in mind my Yamaha is a 99 and the rubber is 20 years old and may very well not be what is used now.

Number Needed: I had only enough for 8 per track and that worked fine. If I do it will probably go for a few more but again thinking the cheap copies for this and super glue.

Asphalt: I have seen no damage but if you have a sealed driveway that may be different. Sheet metal screws might gouge a more if it slips, it would be an experiment.

Just pondering this generally, studs in car tires are common up here and never hear of anyone reporting issues. My brother had a driveway 35 feet at least and a steady rise all the way, probably at least 5 feet maybe 8 by the time it hit the garage slab.

Never saw any issues on his that way and he had studs and lots of visitors who spun out myself included with a couple of my rigs.

Last edited by RC20; 02-20-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page