LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 45
Quieter muffler?!

I was running my generator last night and realized how quiet it was compared to a snowblower.. same engine. Obviously the generator has a much larger muffler. Why don't snowblowers have larger mufflers? You'd think that this would be a feature by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 59
I don't believe modifications would work unless the muffler is damaged and can be repaired. It's possible to replace your existing muffler with a quitter one. However, mufflers create resistance (called back pressure) and adding resistance can have an adverse impact on your snow blower.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 17
The answer is cost. No one is going to pay $3000 for a snowblower. I quiet muffler will be bulky and have exhaust restriction. They just don't think snowblowers need to be that quiet. An OHV engine is already much quieter than a two cycles engine.

Same thing with the auto-turn feature. Trust me, it is nothing new. They just didn't put it on snowblowers back then. Now, they start to have electric fuel injection on snowblowers, so you can see where it is heading to.

The muffler on snowblower is simply just a vent tube.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 02:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 73
Different markets.

Loud generators in campgrounds were a major issue. Disturbed other people, so they came up with quiet. Less so in or after a storm but we had one place in our neighborhood that ran their for 3 weeks with a noisy one. Area power was back, their service was still knocked out. It was annoying as they ran 24 hrs a day. That was a block away, not sure why the neighbors did not pull their plug. No reason not to shut down at night other than convenience to them vs rude to the neighbors.

Snowblowers are in your yard and snow muffled and no one cares (well my brothers straight pipe machine got looks) - everyone is clearing snow one way or the other and seldom after 9 pm.

The quite mufflers are designed for a specific back pressure so putting one on your blower might well inhibit its power output. Ways to measure that. Tony P is wrong that you can't have both, you can, it just cost more as its a much higher engineered device and fabrication cost.

But kind of what is the point? Ear muffs or ear plugs and its not an issue for an hour or two on an irregular schedule.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #5 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 747
Thanks (Received): 223
Likes (Given): 1506
Likes (Received): 1506
Garage
I love straight pipes!!!! ran em on my Harley's all the time.

On a motorcycle you want to be seen and one way to do that is to be LOUD.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 19
I don't think there's all that much higher engineering involved, MTD/Powermore has a quiet muffler blower out. It really is quite a bit quieter, but the muffler is very large.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
I have noticed that the noise level on snow blowers is getting less and less each year, we all remember the old Tecumseh 8-10 hp Snow King..pass me the ear protection please.
Briggs and Stratton are a bit quieter and then we have the Powermore which is even quieter.
Haven't had the opportunity to try one of the new Champion Power Equipment machines yet, but thinking with their history of generators they may even be quieter.
As for quieting your current machine, most snow blower exhaust is also intended to heat the air around the carb..which calls for a flatter muffler (I could be mistaken), and as someone pointed out, cost to manufacture these will drive up the machine price..
post #8 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
The quite mufflers are designed for a specific back pressure so putting one on your blower might well inhibit its power output. Ways to measure that. Tony P is wrong that you can't have both, you can, it just cost more as its a much higher engineered device and fabrication cost.
RC20, I make my share of mistakes and try to appreciate comments letting me know. I just don't see it here. I said,
Quote:
It's possible to replace your existing muffler with a quitter one. However, mufflers create resistance (called back pressure) and adding resistance can have an adverse impact on your snow blower.
And you said,
Quote:
The quite mufflers are designed for a specific back pressure so putting one on your blower might well inhibit its power output.
There is no difference between our statements. But, if I'm wrong again I'm certain you'll let me know.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-23-2020 at 04:16 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 166
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 166
Likes (Received): 8
To prevent Carb. icing, snow blowers use a heat box to enclose some exhaust heat . A bigger muffler would run cooler,and may require a different heat box . I would like to hear how HF ' Predator ' engine converters handle this .

My predator iced up, removed air filter, much better . Would like to see a * Winter * version of these engines .
post #10 of 24 Old 01-23-2020, 04:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 233
Likes (Given): 133
Likes (Received): 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman2 View Post
The answer is cost. No one is going to pay $3000 for a snowblower.
Oh, yes, we do... Honda, Yamaha, Ariens & others all have models that sell well and are above the $3K mark, and the really serious 36"+ machines go for more in the $8-12K neighborhood. To each his own... No different than for cars, motorcycles, boats, houses, etc. Quite a range of everything out there!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes paulm12 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page