My Ariens Pro 32 vs my old Husky (AYP) 16530E - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
My Ariens Pro 32 vs my old Husky (AYP) 16530E

I recently bought a brand new 2013 Ariens Pro 32 to replace my previous -Husky 16530E-. While I feel the Ariens is superior in almost every way, there is one thing the Husky did "better". The impeller pulley setup was geared for throwing distance, as it did have an advertised "high speed impeller". The Husky would throw the snow farther, but the new Ariens definitely moves more of it. My Husky just couldn't get it out fast enough and it would end up just acting a bit like a plow. As you can see -HERE- (not my video, but it's a bit newer tracked version of what I had). When I first got the Ariens I pulled it apart just to see what it was made of. It's then I noticed right away, based on the pulley sizes, it may not throw it as far as the Husky. The main reason I wanted to switch the the new Ariens was it had a 14" impeller, 420cc engine and was, on paper, capable of moving more snow. Plus I feel the Ariens is a better built, more rugged blower. I did not like the auger system on the Husky, it seemed rather cheap and the gearbox was not serviceable.

So far I am 100% happy with the Ariens and it does exactly what I wanted it to do over the Husky......move more snow. I just think it would be neat to play around with different auger/impeller gearing/belt setups to cater to what I feel like at the time....ie distance vs torque. Has anyone been successful at finding different sized dual belt pulleys which will work on these Ariens?

thanks!

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 02-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1652
Likes (Received): 583
you have a longer vid on youtube, i was showing it to one of the guys at work friday. it seems to me thatthe ariens is throwing snow farther than the husky

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
you have a longer vid on youtube, i was showing it to one of the guys at work friday. it seems to me thatthe ariens is throwing snow farther than the husky
That video of the Ariens vs Husky is not mine, it's one I just found on YouTube demonstrating how the Husky plows a bit. I will agree though, in that video the Ariens seems to out throw the Husky, but that's not what my experience was when comparing the two and that's not what my calculations said either when I measured the pulley sizes on both blowers. My Husky's impeller speed was ~1,300 rpm's while my Ariens was ~1,000 rpm's (assuming an engine rpm of 3,600rpms for both). My Husky had a 12" impeller and the Ariens a 14"....so tip speed was ~68 ft/sec for the Husky and ~60ft/sec for the Ariens..

Anyway, just curious if anyone found any different sized dual belt pulley's which will work. Just am curious to see how much I would notice the loss in torque when increasing impeller speed, which is the trade-off when trying to increase your impeller speed.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1652
Likes (Received): 583
check the impeller clearance, i would rather add an impeller kit than go changing pullys

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
check the impeller clearance, i would rather add an impeller kit than go changing pullys
Been done already.....did that the first day I had it...lol The Husky also had an impeller kit. Also set my RPM's to 3,750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page