LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
New (to me) Ariens 927LE

Greetings all, and thanks for the input I have gotten from this site over the past few years. It is a slow afternoon, we are mired in sleet and freezing rain, and I know that everybody likes a new snowblower story, so I am passing one along.

I got a good deal on a 2008 Ariens 927LE three weeks ago that has seen little use overall, and none for the past 6 years. Runs great other than surging on 1/2 throttle, but that can be sorted out and it runs well on full throttle regardless. The first two photos of the blower taken after trying it out give you a sense for its condition. (What looks like rust on the wheels is actually grease.)

I hauled it up to my camp where it is replacing an older 10/26 MTD to clear 150' - 250' of gravel drive (depending on who plows the road) plus parking for 3 cars. Our camp is in an area that averages about 100 inches per year, and has seen several 18 - 30 inch events in the four years that I have been keeping it clear all winter.

The third picture shows me trying it out on 12-14 inches of virgin snow that is the rain-soaked, compacted remains of about 3' of seasonal snowfall to-date. This thing clearly works, and is far more efficient and powerful than the MTD. (I do, however still like the newer Toro 724 I have at home. Toro and Ariens do the same thing through different engineering and design philosophies, and I am a fan of both.)

We have had a very light snow year, and the fourth picture with more snow was taken last year and shows what things normally look like January - March (and there can be a lot more snow than that some years).

Needless to say, I was pretty excited about this machine. So, last weekend, I headed up again to do some basic maintenance, including changing the oil and greasing the transmission. The last two pictures tell the story of what happens when you don't use a machine for 6 years... at least there were no mice carcasses to deal with. Problem solved, and everything is well again, but that was no fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	163687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	163689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	163691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	163693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	163695  

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	163697  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ziggy65, mrjbk liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 05:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 24
Is that a lake in the background? Looks beautiful. Has the dual belt upgrade kit been installed (I believe this applies to your machine.) It makes a tremendous difference in performance and belt longevity.

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
post #3 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 28
That is a great looking spot Did you pull the recoil housing too?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have not pulled the belt cover, but I am 99% sure it has the dual belt setup from the factory. And yes, that is a nice, deep, cold Maine lake. We are lucky to have that spot.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No, I have not pulled the recoil housing yet. It is a nice spot.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 28
If you have an air compressor there you can stick the nozzle in by where the spark plug wire comes out , give it a burst. You'll know in an instant if you need to pull the shroud
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I will do that at some point. I have compressor, but it is loaned out right now. No evidence of shredded insulation, etc inside the recoil cover or engine shroud -- I suspect they were fat and happy underneath, but I will check.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2020, 11:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Congrats on the nice 927le! I just picked up the same year/model. I got lucky as the seller was moving to Texas and only asked $350 for it. It was a bit dirty and leaked some fuel from the carb and surged at lower rpm. He took $300 for it. I gave it a thorough go-through top to bottom. Drained the fuel and cleaned the tank of sediment, and replaced the carb. It now runs and idles perfect and throws the wet heavy stuff really well at the end of driveway. Even helped a few neighbors last time around with a 9"wet snow by the eod's when their machines were struggling. Our roads are 4 lanes wide, so 2 passes each side really piles it up. I like that it will throw the snow far enough where you aren't moving it twice. You will be happy with yours. That was quite the nest they had in yours!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020010595104110.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	666.7 KB
ID:	163759  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2020, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Mine surges a bit on the low throttle setting as well, but it does not affect performance. The seller had cleaned out the old fuel and drained the float bowl, but it is still probably a little dirty. If I need to replace the carb, I am pretty sure I have one on hand. I used it yesterday for 4-5 inches of snow and sleet that had also been hit with freezing rain, which is a challenge for any machine.

You got a great deal on yours. In my case, the seller wanted $450, but I got it down to $420 based on the low rpm surging. It did come with the chains, however, which I would have needed to purchase, so that was a bonus. There is not a large volume of used machines in the rural area where I live, which can drive prices up a bit too. A buddy of mine sold an older 8.5 hp 24 inch Ariens with a cracked gear case (which he disclosed) for $400 earlier this year.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjbk View Post
That was quite the nest they had in yours!
to SBF mrjbk

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page