LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
John Deere 724D or Ariens ST624E??

Hello, I currently own 2 different snow blowers: a 2001 John Deere 724D and a 2008(9?) Ariens ST624E. I obviously don't need 2 snow blowers but I have no idea which one to get rid of! I've owned the John Deere for the past 4 years and I have been very impressed with it. I have had no issues with it and the thing is a BEAST. The Ariens fell into my lap a couple of days ago and so far I'm impressed with how far this little thing can throw (further than the JD). I haven't had the chance to test it with what the snowplow leaves at the end of the driveway yet so I am concerned that the 6hp motor may bog down more than the 7hp on the John Deere. I do also like how the Ariens is easily serviceable in my garage and that spare parts are MUCH cheaper and easier to buy. Both of the snow blowers are in great condition. Which one should I keep? The older JD or the newer Ariens??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 05:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Received): 538
I would keep both alternate, and you have a nice backup either way, in case one goes down..... or in case you want to work on one.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 765
Likes (Given): 4344
Likes (Received): 1731
Garage
If the 724 has been working ok I doubt you're really going to notice the loss of 1 hp. You might notice it at the EOD and need to use one less gear but that's only a maybe. I have JDs too and if you can only keep one I'd keep the Ariens due to parts cost. I think the quality is going to be about equal in the two and the one HP difference isn't that much of a difference IMHO.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
I would keep both until Ariens is fully tested.

Ponder if a backup is a good thing or ok without it. It sounds like a place to keep even current one is a bit of a problem.

I ran a JD 724 for commercial building cleaning for a lot of years (and my partner even more so as I was the HQ clean out guy (I would get in early so he could hit the road with it) and then he took it to 3 other buildings to clear.

I don't know how old it was when I showed up, we ran it another 6 years before we simply wore it out. Replaced with a Yahmaha (forget what width) - the first one they lost out the back of the box truck and loop back and it was gone!

I figured in residential use the JD would never have worn out. Nothing fancy but solid.

We did replace a friction drive and maybe a couple of bearings. Your repair/maint cost are not likely to be much.

If the Ariens cuts the mustard and you don't need it sell it but I would be more inclined to performance specs and needs you have than costs you may never incur.

Its more how it does the job overall, a bit less distance flinging snow is likely not an issue. My Yahman does not throw as far as newer machines but its more than good enough to get the snow where I want it and more would do me no good.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)

Last edited by RC20; 02-16-2020 at 07:48 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2020, 08:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
If these are what I think they are, it's a closer comparison than you realize. Pretty sure that Deere model is a re-branded Ariens ST724, from the series made before the ST624E you're looking at. Deere's parts supply chain is awful for small equipment like this so I'd be trying to find Ariens equivalents instead of paying Yellow & Green prices.

I don't know much about the individual models other than I wouldn't be surprised if the older one was higher quality. Check the belts and the engine RPM if it's not throwing well.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 24
If you feel like you don't have a preference, put them both up for sale, priced a little higher than you normally would ask. Keep the one that doesn't sell first. (Personally, I'd keep the Ariens based on age and parts availability.)

Ariens Hydro Pro 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page