Looking for a snowblower. Certain items wanted - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Looking for a snowblower. Certain items wanted

Looking for a new snowblower. Had a MTD 24 in from 2001 that went up in a fire back a couple weeks ago and it was in stout shape as it had been maintained. To bad the guy who burned the storage facility down didn't use safe practices as well.

BAd part was j hadn't got over and picked up the snowblower yet but I would've been in the same boat come mowing time had I been over as I normally drop one and bring the other home.

I called the place where I bought mine in 2001 and they recommended a cub cadet they had in store. Said it was the last one but I'm sure they can be found at other stores. They mentioned MTD makes the motor for cub cadet.

My requirements due to back issues, reliability and ease of use is I'd like to have a American made motor, not assembled in America with foreign components unless I can be shown that the overseas motors are better which so far only cars have convinced me in the aspect of being better mileage wise.

Also I'd like a convenience handle up top for controlling the auger. Hand warmers aren't necessary but if it comes with that's a bonus.

Next with or without snow chains as I'll install snow chains myself. Last set of chains lasted 18yrs and the tires as well.

Electric start, dual stage and not to low handles as I'm 6ft 3in tall so I don't like squatting / hunching over to use it and walk away with more pain. A light would be good even if just cheap as I'll rug a LED one up that'll light my path up like daylight.

IF you have recommendations please let me know.

Thanks! DN
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Fat City thanked for this post
Likes Fat City liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnel View Post
Looking for a new snowblower. Had a MTD 24 in from 2001 that went up in a fire back a couple weeks ago and it was in stout shape as it had been maintained. To bad the guy who burned the storage facility down didn't use safe practices as well.

BAd part was j hadn't got over and picked up the snowblower yet but I would've been in the same boat come mowing time had I been over as I normally drop one and bring the other home.

I called the place where I bought mine in 2001 and they recommended a cub cadet they had in store. Said it was the last one but I'm sure they can be found at other stores. They mentioned MTD makes the motor for cub cadet.

My requirements due to back issues, reliability and ease of use is I'd like to have a American made motor, not assembled in America with foreign components unless I can be shown that the overseas motors are better which so far only cars have convinced me in the aspect of being better mileage wise.

Also I'd like a convenience handle up top for controlling the auger. Hand warmers aren't necessary but if it comes with that's a bonus.

Next with or without snow chains as I'll install snow chains myself. Last set of chains lasted 18yrs and the tires as well.

Electric start, dual stage and not to low handles as I'm 6ft 3in tall so I don't like squatting / hunching over to use it and walk away with more pain. A light would be good even if just cheap as I'll rug a LED one up that'll light my path up like daylight.

IF you have recommendations please let me know.

Thanks! DN
A light 24 inch with either trigger steer or auto turn will help with the back problems.
Husqvarna has adjustable bars.
I am 6 foot and find the Craftsman 24 inch about the right height..the Cubs...MTD..Yardmans and Troys will be the same..If you can find a floor model of one of those you could see if it's a fit.
Weight is under 200 pounds for the solid axel so probably right at 200 for trigger steer.
Most of the engines are from China now.
Not a bad thing as most are copies of Honda engines

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shovel; 02-19-2020 at 02:11 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Thanks! Forgot about the trigger steer! Good points well taken
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Fat City, Shovel liked this post
post #4 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
I'd suggest looking at the new DR models: https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/snow-blowers I bought their 28" model this year and love it. I'm 6'6" and find it very comfortable to use. The chute rotation crank is right on the "dashboard" as are the deflector angle controls and switches for the led light and hand warmers.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2045
Likes (Received): 517
How deep is are your pockets??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
post #6 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
No one makes a US engine, they are all Japan or China.
I would suggest looking at Grip Studs or even the cheap Chinese copy of them. They screw into the tire with a drill via a special tool.

I had some left over and put 8 in each track of my blower and it solved an ice/steep short pitch section on a driveway I blow off for a neighbor.

Grip Stud for high speed but blower may be ok with the cheaper ones. Grip Stud has depth choices as you figure what your tread depth is and deeper is less risk of coming out and more so for the cheap ones I would guess.
Mine were left over from the Side Car stud job so they are Grip Studs.

I am partial to Honda, Toro seems to be good, get the best HP (or engine size) to width.
If your 24 inch worked well then that is a good choice.

Ariens sounds to be solid. I don't buy big box, never know when they have a cheaper store model. Its a very long term investment so its worth the money if you are stable and don't plan on moving.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #7 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
You don't need chains or studs … All the many brands now come with the XTrac tread design tires, and nothing else is needed.

You will get many people giving many brands to refer you to … I would personally go and look, and get the feel for what you are going to need.

BTW, forget about an American manufactured and assembled engine on a snowblower.
Likes 87powershiftx2, Fat City liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 10:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
No one makes a US engine, they are all Japan or China.
Actually, Honda's GX series engines for US manufacturing have been made in Thailand since the 1990s, and they make the GC & GS series engines here in the USA.

Last edited by tabora; 02-18-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat, Fat City thanked for this post
post #9 of 13 Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 747
Likes (Received): 268
get used to the phase assembled in the usa of imported parts . other than the few honda's shown above , almost every motor is made in china. of honda clones.

i to have a bad back having the the so called power steering is a life saver
cub cadets are simply a mtd/troybuilt with more bling and painted yellow . you can save money looking at troybuilt with the same options and red or black paint
post #10 of 13 Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
Even though it shows Honda makes some engines in SC, I would not be surprised if some of the parts used on those engines indeed come from overseas.

BTW, if you have an Apple product like the iPhone, welcome to China products.
Likes Fat City, 87powershiftx2 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page