post #1 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Deluxe 28 SHO or Toro 1028

Hi,

I must choose between Ariens Deluxe 28 Sho or Toro 1028 OHXE.

I live in quebec and I have over 100 feets driveway, and also a parking for 4 car.

In my region , I have over 130inch by winter.

I have an interrogation about autoturn on Ariens and trigger on toro. I have to pass the snowblower on the roadside to remove the snow pushed by the snowplow in order to access my mailbox. I read a lot complaint about the autoturn. It's a real problem ?

Also I have an interrogation about the relability of the quickstick on Toro.

What is the best choice for my situation ?

Thank's in advance and sorry for my poor english language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 12:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Hi,

I must choose between Ariens Deluxe 28 Sho or Toro 1028 OHXE.

I live in quebec and I have over 100 feets driveway, and also a parking for 4 car.

In my region , I have over 130inch by winter.

I have an interrogation about autoturn on Ariens and trigger on toro. I have to pass the snowblower on the roadside to remove the snow pushed by the snowplow in order to access my mailbox. I read a lot complaint about the autoturn. It's a real problem ?

Also I have an interrogation about the relability of the quickstick on Toro.

What is the best choice for my situation ?

Thank's in advance and sorry for my poor english language.
I would choose whichever one you like the most...I don't think either machine has any reliability issues.
Personally I would aim for the Toro due the controls.
It would be a tough decision... I would watch some You tube videos of each and go from there.
Some people claim first speed is to fast in the ariens and can't be properly adjusted out.
As far as the auto turn... people hate it at first then once they use it for a while they speak highly of the auto turn .It's matter of the bucket hooking on one side from the surface itself. After you use the machine a while you know to react when it hooks and don't even think about it....that's my take on it..I don't have one but from what I gather people go from hating it to loving it after a little usage.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
Welcome.

Just as a general comment its a help if you provide a link to the machine in question so we can do a look at specifics. Some are deep into them and features and some not. the Ariens lists two different engines so don't know which one your query is about.

I don't like what I read about the auto turn and would go with the Toro for that and the fact it has a 50cc larger engine (the larger engine on the Ariens matches it) More hp per width the better performance.

Ariens is rated more solid but I don't see you pushing that hard for your work and Toro is also quite solid. I can find weight on Ariens but Toro is 267 lbs.

The Ariens is touted as a more solid auger drive, but I beat the living daylight out of a Toro (it went through 4 owners and about 30 years) and never had an issue with the auger drive.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #4 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Location: Sauble Beach Ontario Canada -Average annual snowfall - 130"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 92
Likes (Received): 45
Welcome Sawyer
I have a Deluxe 28 SHO and am very happy with it's performance. I have a large gravel driveway and have to blow out my mail box across the road as well. I love the auto turn, it has performed flawlessly for me. I had a MTD blower for a short time with trigger steering, and much prefer the auto turn.
The ice drill type chute turn takes a while to get used to, but works great. I wanted this simple straight forward type of chute control, after dealing with frozen, sloppy chute control cables on the MTD.
I have never operated a TORO 1028 OHXE, but they seem to be a good blower and many people love them.
I would suggest trying them both and going with what ever unit feels better. I would also suggest buying from a dealer.
Cheers

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to!

2019 Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO
1967 Ariens 10965 24/5 Snow Thro
1983 Toro Power Shovel - 2 stroke
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eyeboltman thanked for this post
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #5 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
Personally I went with a smaller machine as it's easier to tug around.. there are so many machines to choose from.. many sizes and many features.. They will accomplish what you are wanting to do.. I think it's a not a matter of which one is best when talking about higher end machines... It's which one do you want to be standing behind while using it.. part of the reason I went with 24 inch...sure a larger machine will do the job faster..but would wear me out.
In many places I just pull the machine back as it's faster that going to reverse..backing up..putting back in second again .
A larger machine would have me using reverse ..eating away time I saved with the 24 inch..The larger machine would wear me out.
I do 300 feet of drive with a steep entrance ..2 car apron..a turn around area..clean off some areas in the yard for the pets..so it's not muddy later and they aren't tracking mud in the house.
The added weight of larger heavy duty machine would be more work for me in the end.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eyeboltman thanked for this post
post #6 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 40
I own a Deluxe 28 SHO and am very pleased. The auto turn issues were years ago. It works flawlessly now. I canít speak to the Toro.
post #7 of 43 Old 02-23-2020, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 12
Welcome, Sawyer!
I also have a Deluxe 28SHO and am very pleased with it. I'd say I clear about the same area as you and the 28SHO handles it easily. The 306 cc engine works very well and has good power for its size. I really like autoturn, it works perfectly on my machine. I've never used a Toro blower, so I can't speak about the 1028 OHXE, but it seems Toro owners are usually happy with them.

Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO

Touch Not A Catt Bot A Targe
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #8 of 43 Old 02-24-2020, 03:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 747
Likes (Received): 268
Sawyer
welcome to the site,
from some one who used to be a toro dealer, both machines will do you years, if not decades of good, both are work horses after one gets used to operating the machine .

personally i would go with what you like more, what you can get serviced easier where you live, DON"T BUY from a big box store like home depot or lowes try to find a local dealer,check their reputation as that counts better in how the machine gets serviced should it need warranty work, remember box stores sell only, they don't repair, they half a set up, they don't test run. plus your going to that ope shop for warranty, that box store is selling MSRP save the end of season, mom and pop may discount and deliver to your home,they will show you how to operate the machine,

shop wise i have i found issues with toro? YES, than what item today doesn't have them, toro has started to do away with the plastic as you can see with the 1028/ 38802 ver. the older 38801 928, toro states no shear pins,yet uses grade 5 and 8 bolts with spacers under the nuts that allow the bolt to float on the wheel,auger and impeller, will they break?, from my personal use of a 38801 YES! and i have done so, but you can go to any hardware store and replace them with old fashioned bolts. the skids are soft stamped steel,they will wear out but can be flipped over for the second surface,toro makes a cast iron optional set that wear better

good luck with what ever you buy.
post #9 of 43 Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 131
Likes (Received): 221
Garage
I vote Toro

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #10 of 43 Old 02-24-2020, 06:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 57
Garage
Throwing out the welcome mat for your first post...Welcome from the Burg
Toro my vote

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page