Ariens vs Simplicity Can You Use Simplicity Chute Control With Mittens? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 03-01-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 24
Question Ariens vs Simplicity Can You Use Simplicity Chute Control With Mittens?

Hi. I find myself in need of a snowblower. I have narrowed my choice to an Ariens 24 Platinum SHO EFI and a Simplicity Signature Pro 1724.

I am leaning towards the Simplicity mainly because of the chute control. I have neighbors in close proximity and directing the snow is a constant challenge and must be done easily, quickly and on the move. This I learned after using an old Snapper my ex husband left in the garage.

The Simplicity looks great but in the picture on their website the person is wearing thin gloves and the controls do not look suited to heavy mittens.

I am a girl and I like warm hands especially in the temperatures we get here so I must wear thick mittens. Will the controls be effective?

Here's the pic of controls and Thank You

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_...w-blowers.html

Last edited by Jenny; 03-01-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 176
Thanks (Received): 344
Likes (Given): 481
Likes (Received): 850
Welcome to the forum!

With hand warmers on the machine, hopefully that will reduce the need for big, thick gloves. My blower is a different brand, but I've found my hand warmers to do quite nicely. My cold fingers warmed right up when I turned the warmers on (with good gloves), during a cold and windy storm.

From the pictures, I'd be more worried about the trigger controls for steering. It looks like the chute controls may be used with just your thumbs. But you'll also need to be able to use the triggers to unlock a wheel on one side, to make the machine easier to swing around. To squeeze the triggers with mittens, you'd likely have to take all your fingers off the handle, to grab the trigger, vs using 2 fingers for the trigger, and having the rest still on the handle.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 54 Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 747
Likes (Received): 268
welcome to the site

you may want to add one to look at. a toro Power Max HD 1028 OHXE (model 38841) electic start, heated grips, head lamp 10 hp motor for about the same price of the others. https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pag...HXE-38841(Toro)

stick wise i can work mine wearing heavy ski gloves with no problem,the machine turns on it self with one hand using the power steering, 3 year warranty

what ever you buy good luck
post #4 of 54 Old 03-01-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you. I would buy the Toro for the chute control alone but require 24” as there is a long pathway involved. The 24” Toro has a locked axle and I want easy turn like Ariens AutoTurn or Simplicity triggers. I am not strong. I know the 24” SnowMaster has the AutoTurn but I need a real 2 stage.

I would buy the Simplicity 1724 now but looking at the pic with the thin gloves controlling the chute has me worried that chute control will be clumsy with mitts. And it’s a special order so can’t try it.
post #5 of 54 Old 03-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Hi. I find myself in need of a snowblower. I have narrowed my choice to an Ariens 24 Platinum SHO EFI and a Simplicity Signature Pro 1724.

I am leaning towards the Simplicity mainly because of the chute control. I have neighbors in close proximity and directing the snow is a constant challenge and must be done easily, quickly and on the move. This I learned after using an old Snapper my ex husband left in the garage.

The Simplicity looks great but in the picture on their website the person is wearing thin gloves and the controls do not look suited to heavy mittens.

I am a girl and I like warm hands especially in the temperatures we get here so I must wear thick mittens. Will the controls be effective?

Here's the pic of controls and Thank You

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_...w-blowers.html
There will be a limit on anything with gloves.
I can see a problem with overly large gloves being a problem ...you would find yourself looking at the buttons if you couldn't feel them.
Steering might be rough with mittens.
I have a pair rubber insulated gloves made for handling frozen materials.
As a bonus they are long so you can tuck em under your coat.
Sweep off the car windows with em as well

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #6 of 54 Old 03-01-2020, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 138
https://www.showagloves.com/showa-46...t#.Xlx-0ChMH3A

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #7 of 54 Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 113
Likes (Received): 68
With handwarmers on the simplicity you shouldn't have to wear thick gloves. How cold does it get where you are?
post #8 of 54 Old 03-02-2020, 01:08 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
I own that Ariens, and I feel that it would be very hard to do better! Everything works well, and it's a beast!
post #9 of 54 Old 03-02-2020, 05:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 428
Likes (Received): 171
Garage
the best?

I have to say that Simplicity PRO with PowerBoost will be hard to beat. Incredible machine and electric shoot control are just so good.
Would not trade my 1728 Simplicity PRO for anything, not even a PRO Rapidtrack that I was looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fræssn2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	164507  

2011 Simplicity P1728EX Signature Pro 342cc 11hp (at my house)
2014 Yamaha YT1070 (YT1028) 296cc 9.5 hp (at the cabin)
post #10 of 54 Old 03-02-2020, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi. The Simplicity no longer has Power Boost it now has “Velocity Throwing System” I don’t know what that is but mabe a high speed impeller like SHO on Ariens?

Thank you for responses. I realize it has hand warmers but those Electric chute buttons look so small In the pic, it appears thry would be clumsy and inaccurate. I have tried the trigger turn on a Cub Cadet and I have no problem with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page