Biggest Mistake I See When People Buy New Snowblowers - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 24
Red face Biggest Mistake I See When People Buy New Snowblowers

I know I am posting allot but hung up in a rehab center for a few weeks and I find this forum endlessly fascinating!

To the title of this thread, the biggest mistake I see is people getting a tracked unit when greater than 70% of conditions or terrain they deal with is best suited to wheeled. A tracked will add sore muscles and slower clearing speeds in areas its not needed

also bigger buckets than are needed also often cause more problems than they are worth due to the added weight and decreased maneuverability.

Not trying to offend. Just some observations I've made over the years here.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Received): 538
In my life, I only knew one person, my brother-in-law, that bought a Honda track machine, used it, and he gave it to his son and bought an Ariens wheeled unit.

Enough said .
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #3 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 23
All true, but I think the biggest mistake of all mistakes is buying a brand new snowblower.

I see a lot of used snowblowers out there like new at 1/3 of brand new cost. It is at the end of the season right now, so the market is flooded with used snowblowers.

To me a snowblower is just a tool. I like to have fun, but I tried not to spoil myself. What are you going to do with that tool? People have a habit of buying the biggest and baddest, but they don't use it much.
Likes Rooskie liked this post
post #4 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 18
I certainly see what your saying there and have seen a lot of people get frustrated with how much work they face with maneuvering their tracked machines.

One thing that has changed with some newer tracked units is that the latest Honda and Ariens units are easier to maneuver than the classic tracked designs of the past. Honda's trigger-based steering system has the engine doing the work of turning. In the case of the Ariens RapidTrak design, it's got a "wheel" mode and several "track" modes. So you can maneuver easy in wheeled mode, but still have the track mode for ripping through the EOD piles.

Many of the wheeled units are prone to riding up when going through dense EOD berms.

The wider flexibility of these new track designs enables people to get the advantages of tracks, without as much of the draw-backs of the past. But certainly there are people that would still be better off with a wheeled machine.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A, JamesReady liked this post
post #5 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 135
I will use a 24 vs 30 for an example.
Eight foot wide drive.
24 in... Up .. back.. up.. back.. eight feet.
30 inch...up ..back..up..still not eight feet.
32 in ..up ...back...up..eight feet...but unless I want to leave the blower at the end of drive..I still have to come back..just as well bring the blower with me..grins

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ST1100A, Ziggy65, barney, notabiker liked this post
post #6 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We fought with a tracked unit on our property for years when first moved to the area. One of the biggest surprises of my life was about 10yrs ago when we got a wheeled Snapper and it did about 90% of what the tracked could do but with significantly less effort and faster. The other 10% was undeniably slower and not as thorough depending on the storm; considering the trade off in ease of use the wheeled was still well worth it. Both of these had the solid axle but even recently trying out a trigger track vs trigger wheel, I still will go wheel from now on.

Yes there are some situations and areas that you truly need a track But before buying you must carefully assess if they substantially outweigh the times when you do not
Likes ST1100A liked this post
post #7 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 276
could have probably used a tracked machine this past weekend. could have used a taller machine with a bigger impeller lol. each machine has their uses. sucks sometimes sitting there spinning tires and going nowhere especially when the snow is taller than the bucket.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #8 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 762
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1578
Likes (Received): 1658
Garage
I live in the Honda snowblower capital of the world.

Seriously.

Our Honda dealer sells more Honda's than anyplace in the world. Something like the last 30 years.

From what I have seen 98% of all Honda snowblowers within a 100 mile radius are tracked units.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 2muchsnow, Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #9 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We have or had (I cant find them now that he's gone) some chains you could get on the tires in a pinch. They solved much of the spinning problems but yes there is an incline I need to fight now that I'm just wheeled with no chains.

The Ariens units that can switch from wheel to track look very interesting and will undoubtedly become hugely popular here.

Last edited by Jenny; 03-05-2020 at 09:12 PM.
post #10 of 55 Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 140
Likes (Received): 500
I would never buy a wheeled unit again. 30+ years with a tracked Honda HS80 (a great machine) and now 3 years with the tracked HSS1332ATD. The HSS tracked units let you set the auger housing at any height you want; a wheel unit is always at the same height (wherever you set the skids). The HS80 was much faster than my old wheeled blowers in deep snow. The HSS is twice as fast as the HS80 in moderate snow and 3-4 times faster in deep snow. It also maneuvers more easily than any other blower I've ever owned. If you have not used a modern tracked, hydro, trigger steered, pneumatically tilted blower, then you have no frame of reference.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page