LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-13-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 96
Likes (Received): 81
Bolens 1032 discussion

I received a PM asking maintenance questions pertaining to my old, now long gone Bolens 1032. The question:

‘’Hi I'm Howard, Having an old Bolens 1032 - I'm wondering if you had problems/solutions with the axle wearing away flange & housing ? Have to rotate wheel to get axle back in trans to engage (at times).’’

Not sure if I understand the flange housing wearing. But those cheapy plastic bearings SUCK and motived me to purchase a PRO machine that does not use them. I highly recommend that you pull the differential apart, clean it and lubricate it with grease. I installed a zerk fitting in mine so I could lub it without pulling it apart. Also on the right hand wheel Bolens incorporated an locking device so that both wheels turn at the same time. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THAT FEATURE!!! I had the right hand axle break at where it is pinned into the left axle. BPITA!!!

I replaced that with a 1/2’’ SS rod that required turning on my now long gone lathe........gave it to my machinist son. Another big job. OH getting back to pulling the differential apart, you will curse me if you do. There were sooo many times that pig caused me grief, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU GET ANOTHER MACHINE. Lost count of the number of times that thing sat upside down in my garage so I could repair it.

Some of the #$%^& things that caused me grief include the gear assembly for the augers. Now I know that it is/was my responsibility to check that assembly for grease/oil. I just presumed and that presumption resulted in chasing bearings, shafts. worm gears plus all the couplings to the motor itself because I destroyed them doing the repairs. Even had to have the bucket welded.

Gosh, the more I get to think about that pig the more I get.........!!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and get something else and good luck

EDIT: I just thought about the reason your wheel is pulling off........GEES, how could I forget!!! Suggest you put something under the machine so the right hand wheel is off the ground/floor. Next grab the wheel and see if you can pull the thing out, shaft included. IF SO, YOU MY FRIEND HAVE A BROKEN AXLE. Enjoy!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eyeboltman thanked for this post
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page