Moving to a rural area in Ontario - which blower? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Moving to a rural area in Ontario - which blower?

We will be moving to a rural area in Ontario and the land we are about to purchase has almost 500ft of gravel covered driveway with gentle incline! Total area of land is around 3.5 acres but only about 1 acre has been cleared and half of the land is on an incline, filled with trees. We have about 60 inches of snow per year. Could be better but not the end of the world.

We are going to buy a BCS tractor but we will not be doing much farming with this - we are not farmers. I'm already convinced that BCS plus a blower attachment isn't going to work since it is prone to freeze up and also the incline will potentially cause issues with traction even with chains.

I don't want to buy Kubotas just for snowblowing unless someone says this is the only option for my situation. BCS plus attachments are more than enough for our casual needs during spring, summer and autumn.

Given this, what would be a sensible choice?

Currently, I'm thinking of one of the Yamaha or Honda tracked models, but am I on drugs for thinking about going this direction? If so, what other options do I have?

My only prior experience with snowblowers is a rechargeable EGO model in a 6-car driveway.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 661
Garage
The bcs should be more than enough blower for your needs

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I read quite a bit of message in a BCS forum. Some of the posters gave up blowing with BCS because the engine has issues in cold weather (something about the intake air filter) and also the throttle mechanism (if I recall correctly). Apparently, BCS was never meant to be used in an environment where snow blows all over the place. Same engine used in Honda snowblowers has no issue in these conditions obviously, so it must be a design issue.

BCS + 2-stage blower attachment would be the simplest & the best solution, if it works, but so far, I'm not convinced...
post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 411
Likes (Received): 661
Garage
Pull the air filter for winter use if it freezes up,lube the cables etc many members here use honda clones that are not winterized with no issue. If it were me, the bcs would be made to work

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 696
Likes (Received): 244
welcome to sbf jOhn
post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 173
Likes (Received): 43
Garage
John, I sent you a PM.....Alex
post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
We will be moving to a rural area in Ontario and the land we are about to purchase has almost 500ft of gravel covered driveway with gentle incline! Total area of land is around 3.5 acres but only about 1 acre has been cleared and half of the land is on an incline, filled with trees. We have about 60 inches of snow per year. Could be better but not the end of the world.

We are going to buy a BCS tractor but we will not be doing much farming with this - we are not farmers. I'm already convinced that BCS plus a blower attachment isn't going to work since it is prone to freeze up and also the incline will potentially cause issues with traction even with chains.

I don't want to buy Kubotas just for snowblowing unless someone says this is the only option for my situation. BCS plus attachments are more than enough for our casual needs during spring, summer and autumn.

Given this, what would be a sensible choice?

Currently, I'm thinking of one of the Yamaha or Honda tracked models, but am I on drugs for thinking about going this direction? If so, what other options do I have?

My only prior experience with snowblowers is a rechargeable EGO model in a 6-car driveway.

Thank you!
================================================== =================

Hello and good morning John,

If you get involved with a Kubota 1870 and a front mount snow blower and the belly mower your looking at 17000USD or more but the 4 wheel drive will help you a lot with mowing and snow removal.

If your going to be dealing with that much snow Yamaha 1332 with steering brakes would be Ideal but the issue of walking to clear the driveway will get really old in one winter .

The Yamaha 1332 will be a forever kick sasquatch in the ass machine and you can purchase a cheap riding lawn mower every few years or invest in the smallest BCS 2 wheel mule and the attachments for it as you need the power of the 1332 for the snow removal work

Investing in a 2 stage 32 inch bercomac snowblower with an 853 would also be a great match for your situation as you can use a flail BCS flail mower for mowing.

With the honda engines you can purchase a cyclone precleaner and then just remove the air filter for the winter season. The cyclone precleaner is a big help in the other months as it will help to prevent fine dust and chaff from plugging the paper air filter.

Now as far as the linkages freezing up on the crankcase folks have been making a sheet metal cover to cover the engine to prevent snow an ice from getting near the linkages and melting and eventually freezing and preventing the cables from working.

Me, I use my kerosene fired space heater for everything and when I clear snow I always warm up the snow throwers for 20 minutes and then dry them off to the point that they have melted all the snow off and the machines are hot to the touch which tells me the salt has fallen off the housings after I am done with the job as the salt is a real killer on machinery around here.

In order to eliminate the issue with stones the best thing to do is take a piece of steel pipe and slit it long ways and push it on the cutting edge to avoid pulling in stones and wreaking havoc on the impeller housing.

The BCS will have the ability to tow a sulky or use a dump trailer with a seat on it and then you can ride back and forth clearing snow. you could do the same thing with the 1028 1332 Yamaha but you will need to have some welding done to mount a hitch on the belly plate of the 1028 or 1332.

The issue with traction can be resolved with investing in the metal or rubber tracks that can be mounted on the BSC 2 wheel mules to use it for mowing or snow clearing.

There are a lot of videos on you tube showing the BCS mules clearing snow using tracks if you want to watch them.

I have to go to town to do errands.
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Although the land is over 3 acres, 1 acre closest to the street is filled with trees - no lawn mowing is needed here. The next 1 acre is on a gentle incline, also filled with trees, so no lawn mowing here either. The deepest 1 acre has roughly half of it cleared (for home and garden) but will not have much lawn here either - we will have trees and flowers but not lawn. Given this, I wasn't going to get any serious grass mowing setup.

We will harvest some trees here however for the woodstove - the land has a mix of White Pines and White/Red Oaks. I was thinking of getting a log splitter and wood chipper implements for BCS. Are there any equivalent implements available for the smallest Kobotas? I don't see them on their website.

I will also need some kind of small trailer for the tractor to pull stuff around the land. I suppose Kubota doesn't need one since I can use the loader instead...

Last edited by JohnB; Yesterday at 02:23 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 297
Have you considered something like this? 4 wheel drive, and probably way easier that walking the machine. Higher price tag, but usable in year round
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATv Blower.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	164883  

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, I looked up on those before. That would work for snow cleaning but I can't use it for anything else. It's use is probably even less than Kubota for non-winter use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page