Crankshaft Seal Lean on Brand New Briggs & Stratton 420cc - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2020, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 18
Crankshaft Seal Lean on Brand New Briggs & Stratton 420cc

Iíve got a new B&S 420cc engine on a snowblower with about 18 hours on it and noticed a slight oil leak on the crankshaft seal on the PTO side. Itís still under warranty as it was purchased in Nov Ď19.

Itís a very slight leak but itís near the belts that drive everything.

Iím wondering how common this type of issue is. I thought I read that these engines are made in China and they had some quality issues with production there. I noticed the following thread on the same issue, same engine from 2014: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...g-now-ugh.html

Does anyone have any recommendations, comments or similar experiences to share about this that might help me before I call the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 535
A leaking crankshaft oil seal on a new engine still in warranty would be a concern for me that I would definitely have the dealer remedy.

I would imagine that exterior seal should be easily replaced from the exterior.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 18
I usually cringe at having to get work done in general. Maybe I'm a control-freak, but I've seen so many goof-ups getting things "repaired", only to have other things get broken, or put back together wrong.

Oh well I guess I'll call the dealer today...
Old 03-20-2020, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 25
Check your oil, make sure your carb isn't leaking. I personally would look it over really well and do it my self, but I've done it before and have the tools. New engine everything should pop off and you get to put anti seize back on under the pto sheaves.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 6
If you're still under warranty have them fix it. The leaking crankshaft seal is all too common with Briggs and Stratton engines it seems. I have a B&S generator with the 342cc engine and it has a leaky crank shaft seal, almost since new. It's not bad now so I live with it. This generator has a 10/2010 build date. While I worked at Lowe's there were many returned B&S generators, especially with the 305cc engine that suffered major or fatal crank shaft seal failures. Check on the internet you'll find examples of it in various OPE's with B&S engines. In my case the leak varied. I don't know why because I used B&S synthetic 5W-30 oil since new. As of now the leak is so minor and the generator operates so good I'll live with the minor oil seep/leak I have.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
You can check it back with your manufacturer to see if that covers the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in