When standing blower on end should you drain oil first? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
When standing blower on end should you drain oil first?

I was watching some blower repair videos and in one it was said to drain the oil first, all of the time, before the machine is put up on the auger housing.
He claims that the oil could seep into areas of the motor that you don't want it in while it is up on end.

I never thought about this before.
What do you all think?

I try to make sure that the gas tank is near empty and hang a small pail from it, but I never gave a thought about draining the oil every time I stand it on end.
Overkill?

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
My Tecumseh 8hp flathead and 10hp OHV engines have spent time in the service position. Bucket/nose down, wheels in the air.

Never gave me issues with either one.

However, I close the fuel shutoffs and run the carbs dry on my machines when I shut them down. So the carb doesn't drain onto the ground in this position. I also put a plastic bag over the fuel tank fill opening, then screw the cap on, to keep the gas from dripping out the vent. If there is not much in the tank, this may not be an issue.

With the 10hp OHV in this position for multiple days, I started to get a few drips of oil on the ground, from the governor shaft, I believe. So I put a plastic bag under that area. Make sure the dipstick is screwed in tight!

But it never gave me any trouble. If you put it back on the wheels and *immediately* started it, maybe that would do something weird, I don't know. I don't need to start them again that quickly, if I've just had them on the their noses.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
I have B&S L heads on their nose regularly with no crank case issues. If you leave it there long enough you might discover a failing output crank shaft seal.

As for gas, you need to understand the fill level in relation to where the fill opening is when up. Sometimes you can use a thin plastic bag under the fuel cap to defeat the vent for short term work. Even the carburetors reset when they are back on the floor.

Pete

Last edited by Spectrum; 03-17-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
These are handy tips. I was going to drain everything, including the radiator, before I tipped it up.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-17-2014, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
Standing the blower on end could hydrolock the motor, or so I suspect happened to my new to me blower. I will report back after investigating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post

I was watching some blower repair videos and in one it was said to drain the oil first, all of the time, before the machine is put up on the auger housing.
He claims that the oil could seep into areas of the motor that you don't want it in while it is up on end.

I never thought about this before.
What do you all think?

I try to make sure that the gas tank is near empty and hang a small pail from it, but I never gave a thought about draining the oil every time I stand it on end.
Overkill?

Last edited by junkyard_sal; 03-17-2014 at 06:09 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Most snow blower fuel tanks seem to have the nipple for the fuel line at the back of the tank so when you have less than 3/4s of a tank the fuel nipple is up in the air and only the fuel in the line and bowl can possibly drain into the engine. Might be enough to cause a hydrolock. Best to make sure you're below 3/4s tank if you're going to tip it, better yet to have a fuel shut off and to run the carb out of fuel before you tip it up.

As for oil, if you tip it up and have it that way for a length of time then hopefully you will bring it back down to it's normal position for a day or two and the oil has a chance to drain back into the crankcase.

I haven't run into a problem with tipping them on mine. My only problem is my Estate's dipstick doesn't seal so I have to make sure to put a drain pan under it if I tip it up or I'll have a mess.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
... I haven't run into a problem with tipping them on mine. My only problem is my Estate's dipstick doesn't seal so I have to make sure to put a drain pan under it if I tip it up or I'll have a mess.
Old style dipsitch I'm guessing. If it were me, I'd try pulling out the dipstick and put a cork in it. (Like a wine stopper, they're rubber and expandable to close the top of the wine bottle to prevent oxidation.)

example:

If the opening's around an 1-1/2-inch, you could use a thermos bottle cork (just guessing here, don't fault me for trying... :-)

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #8 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Question.....would making sure your piston is at TDC prevent a hydro lock?
post #9 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
Ariens advised me not to store my machine in the service position. They said it put pressure on the seal. I can't imagine a quart and a half of oil could put much pressure on anything but there you go.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn View Post
Ariens advised me not to store my machine in the service position. They said it put pressure on the seal. I can't imagine a quart and a half of oil could put much pressure on anything but there you go.
You should have asked what they thought just for short term up on end to work on it. I was not talking about storing it up on end.

The guy in the video I watched says he drains the oil EVERY TIME he stands it up on the auger housing.
That is why I asked I wanted to see what the more experienced guys thought of this.
I have been doing it since I had mine, I see no ill effects.
But it is not standing up for long, maybe a half an hour at the most.

I never thought about storing it up on end all summer, I don't need the room.
Mine sits in the normal position all the time.

I hate shoveling SNOW!

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page